I can get ADB to work with one Droid but not another...what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by r314bd, Mar 2, 2010.

1. r314bd

r314bd New Member

My dad and I both have Droids...I've rooted both using the update.zip at rootyourdroid.info and adb works fine on mine, but when I plug in my dad's phone to the same computer and enable USB debugging, I get "error: device not found" when I try to access adb shell. I rooted mine a few days ago with a lot of trial and error so I might have done something differently with my phone but I have no idea what.

Any idea what the problem could be? I obviously have the right USB drivers if my Droid can access it properly...I even tried uninstalling/reinstalling them, same problem
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  2. r314bd

r314bd New Member

This is driving me nuts! Probably a really easy fix too. I've literally replicated everything on both phones...rooted, enabled USB debugging, uninstalled/reinstalled Motorola USB driver...but still only my phone works with ADB. I get "error: device not found" with my dad's Droid :mad:

whyyyyy
  3. r314bd

r314bd New Member

anyone...? I'm stuck :(
  4. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

make sure the 'usb debbuging' mode is checked on the other phone. Do they both have the same ROMs?
  5. r314bd

r314bd New Member

yes, both 2.0.1, stock ROM, rooted...USB debugging is not the problem, it's something else...I don't know what :confused:

my guess is that it has to do with the drivers on my dad's droid, although I have no idea what to do to check that
  6. r314bd

r314bd New Member

Ok so in Device Manager, the working phone has the "Android Composite ADB Interface" driver while the nonworking phone has the "Android ADB Interface" driver...I'm guessing this is the problem. Anyone know how I can switch it to "Android Composite ADB Interface"?
  7. r314bd

r314bd New Member

BOOM

deleted the "Android ADB Interface" driver then turned off/on debugging, and it installed the "Mot Composite ADB Interface" and now adb is working

sheesh that was annoying
  8. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 New Member

Isnt it great to figure it out yourself? lol I was about reading this and on my way scrolling to tell you to try that i saw you got it.

Good job :)
  9. r314bd

r314bd New Member

haha thanks =D Although I wish you had seen this thread earlier...would've saved me a few gray hairs :p