I bought my Verizon Moto X outright so....

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why can't I unlock the bootloader and root this thing easily since I own it?
Do I get a discount from Verizon since my phone is unsubsidized?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
No you don't get a discount, if you have unlimited data you get to keep it though, and vzw doesn't want unlocked phones on their network.. However they can't prevent you from unlocking it..if you can unlock it..idk..not familiar with the x

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

OP
akhenax

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
so then maybe I should have just got the 6GB Max plan, with a subsidized device, and called it a day.

I only use about 2 Gigs a month, if that. I just wanted to keep unlimited just in case. But if I can't get a discount, then maybe I wasted my time and money buying the device outright.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Well...idk...I prefer to have unlimited data.. You never know when you might need it...I like having peace of mind, knowing I won't get data overages and I don't have to rely on WiFi... That's important to me in the case of sensitive documents...

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

tbolted

Reaction score
I bought mine outright for 1¢ on Amazon. One big reason was to keep my unlimited data plan, and the other was, well, $0.01 for an awesome phone.

But then I analyzed my data usage over the past 6 months and decided to drop it and go with an 8gb share everything plan. I never got over 4gb with all 4 lines and this saves me $20/month.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
While Verizon can't prevent you from unlocking it, Motorola can do it's part to make sure you can't unlock it with the standard Moto X. Carriers often pressure the manufacturers into making bootloaders unlockable, in an effort to restrict things that can then be used for free on phones that could otherwise be money makers for them. Part of it is also security on their part and I'm sure another part too is the less knowledgeable messing up their phones and then filing claims on them for a new one. Those of us that have been around since the Droid 1 have seen it too many times to count.
So it boils down to money for the carriers.

As for rooting, it still can be done, but it's just a little more complicated. As someone who has ALWAYS rooted though, this is the first phone that I haven't rooted yet and I'm not even sure if I will. As of now, it just does what I want and need. But knowing me at some point down the road I'll just want the challenge and I'll root. :)

Sent by fish1552 from his MOTO X.

Last edited:

markwebb

Reaction score
As for rooting, it still can be done, but it's just a little more complicated. As someone who has ALWAYS rooted though, this is the first phone that I haven't rooted yet and I'm not even sure if I will. As of now, it just does what I want and need. But knowing me at some point down the road I'll just want the challenge and I'll root. :)

I have seen this comment frequently. What does it have that rooting can't or can provide?
I have the Moto X (unlocked as well) and IMHO feel it requires rooting with xposed and gravity box: phone lacks battery percentage icon, has
linked volume controls, lacks power off options, display tweaks, etc.
Or perhaps I am a root junkie who just can't live w/o a rooted phone since the og droid days?
Originally i thought i would be happy with it as a non rooted phone but I guess i like and determined i like having that extra sense of control and choice. :)

Last edited:

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
I have seen this comment frequently. What does it have that rooting can't or can provide?
I have the Moto X (unlocked as well) and IMHO feel it requires rooting with xposed and gravity box: phone lacks battery percentage icon, has
linked volume controls, lacks power off options, display tweaks, etc.
Or perhaps I am a root junkie who just can't live w/o a rooted phone since the og droid days?
Originally i thought i would be happy with it as a non rooted phone but I guess i like and determined i like having that extra sense of control and choice. :)

It means that I'm content with the way the phone operates stock and unrooted - nothing more. So far, there has been nothing I want or need that requires me to root the phone. With that said, it also may be due to constantly flashing new ROMs and other stuff over the last 4 years to where I was almost constantly trying to reload data/files/tweaks and such and just decided to take a break.

Maybe it also has to do with the fact that I run Cyanogen on my Nexus 7 and I get my root/tweaking on with that and am satisfied leaving the phone intact for now. And yes, I run xBlast Tools and many of the modules on that as well and love them. Or I can just modify files manually if need be.

Last edited:

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552

Also, in addition to my comment above, while you may have bought to phone at full price, you are still using the phone on a private company's network. And since the network is THEIR money maker, they can and will do everything they feel they need to protect that source of income. Those of us who enjoy modding/rooting/etc may not agree, but you have to admit, if the tables were turned, and you thought you may lose money to people circumventing restrictions or poaching services from you, you most likely would do the same. I know I do in my private business because I don't want to end up bankrupt in 2 years.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do I get a discount from Verizon since my phone is unsubsidized?

I believe to do what you want to do you needed to buy the developer version of the X.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
This ^^

Sent from my Moto X DE

Scott0719

Reaction score
I'm very interested in this phone. Coming from the S3. But I'm having a hard time deciding between this, the DROID Maxx and the G2. I feel like the X is a little more simple and straightforward and I kinda like that. I just wish the battery was a little better. I like the battery in the Maxx of course. The X would be perfect if it were around 2700 mhp or whatever it is.

I do want to be able to root just to be able to freeze bloatware and use some of the root apps I bought.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

TatDroid

Reaction score
I just wish the battery was a little better.
When you say "better" are you judging by physical size, or real life battery time? 'Cause just about every review I've seen counts battery life in the X as a positive. My real life usage averages about 16 hours (6AM to 10pm) with 4 hours of screen time.

Scott0719

Reaction score
I was going by the physical size. And comparing it to the S3 which is 2100 I believe and the X is 2200. But maybe the X doesn't have as much bloatware and other features the S3 has so it uses less? But if you are getting that much time that is a good sign.

Now if only rooting could just be easier. I don't want to flash roms, just root.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

TatDroid

Reaction score
Yes, there has been much discussion about the multiple battery saving technologies that Moto/Google built into the X - the low energy screen, the active notifications, the low draw processor. It's been said MANY times - you can't judge the X by looking at a spec sheet!