I am trying to root my phone, I see a bump on the road already though....

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Rodvette23, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Rodvette23

Rodvette23 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi DroidForum,

After doing some homework and research on the topic, I have decided to go ahead and root my phone but I seem to have run into a couple of technical difficulties, and also in need of some clarification.

I tried going to alldroid.org to obtain my root because it seems this the place where everyone goes to get their "update.zip" file to begin the process. Unfortunately the site seems to be down, and I don't know of another site that has this file that can help me get started. Any other suggestions?

I have read something about using a dmupdater to root your phone, would this be a good alternate choice? I was looking online at tutorials but it seems like the ones I have read have you follow up with installing a ROM right afterwards.

Also I am going to be doing this on a Mac instead of PC, is there any special procedures that I should know of before I get started or is it pretty much the same process as in the PC. I am not tech savy at all, just your average Joe who goes to school, loves sports, and likes to play video games lol.

This will be my first time doing anything like this to a phone so I am a little worried of the risks involved, but the things to gain seems to good that I have to make this jump.

2. GoGators

GoGators Member

Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...-phone-2-1-rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html

Use Matt's guide. Read it through all the way and understand what you are doing First. The guide works perfectly. All links work to get the files you need.

Learn to use the search function as well. This forum has so much good information and also is very well laid out. Good luck.

Edit: I believe you need a PC for certain things, but most of the stuff happens right on your phone with files, so probably not an issue to start with as long as you can mount your sd card and load them to your phone. Hopefully some of the senior members weigh in. Again, do a search in the hack forum and you will get answers if the issue is known.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  3. RW-1

RW-1 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    You didnt read his post, sorry.

Matt's link to get the update to enable SU is not functional.

Bandwith limits exceeded.

Does anyone have a link to the file? I cannot upload as mine is 10Mb and the limit is 9.something here.

4. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    Solution coming shortly. Matt's link will get updated and Miami says DroidForums will host the file here.

5. RW-1

RW-1 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have a zip called droid-superuser-update, but couldn't attach here because the board zip limit is 9.something, and the file was 10.1mb ...

6. threejane

threejane Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i did matt's entire walk thru using my mac. no real issues for me and i saw that at least one other person used a mac for it as well. the only thing that i had to do was use firefox to download the zip files because safari kept auto-opening all the zip downloads. other than that you should be fine.

7. forkup

forkup Member

Ratings:
    +0
  8. Rodvette23

Rodvette23 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @christim- really? that would be great. how soon do they plan to link it here, or do you have insight to when the site will be back, a date? I like Matth3ws guide, its explains things very simple.

@threejane- thanks for the info. I was a little worried to use my Mac

@forkup- I read that link earlier today but it seems like the steps eventually lead you to using the droidmods ROM which is something I didn't plan on using. I cant seem to find a guide that simply just roots your phone like the website that I went to does ( apparently its Matth3ws, the one that has the droid root link thats currently down)

Thanks for your quick feedback, If there is no alternate method I guess I could just wait till the site comes back so that I can get that update zip file to root my phone :)

9. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas DF Super Moderator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 4
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    My vote's for this too. Yeah, it's pretty hands off, but it's quick and will get you to the point where you can begin playing with root.

It only leads to installing dm's rom if you click to install it. You can stop after it roots and flashes recovery and install any rom of your choice. That's how i got started on Bugless Beast.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  10. ieatscones

ieatscones Member

Ratings:
    +0
  11. GoGators

GoGators Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the superuser update.zip. Not sure where to save it for this forum to download it though.

12. xkaper

xkaper Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I uploaded the update.zip I used to megaupload

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

1. Download the update.zip
    2. Plug your Droid into your computer via USB. On the Droid go to the Notifications bar and select USB Connected then press Mount
    3. Once the device is mounted, the SD card will show as a removable device on your computer
    4. Put the update file into your SD Card
    5. Unmount the device from your computer, and turn the Droid off.
    6. Hold down the X key on the physical keyboard and the power button at the same time until you see a Triangle with an ! in the middle.
    7. Press the Vol+ and the Camera button together until you get a menu.
    8. Using the D-pad on the physical keyboard, select the option to update with the update.zip file.

13. Rodvette23

Rodvette23 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    back from dinner, xcaper thanks for the upload! I will try it now. :)

is the file suppose 10.18 MB? I prefer this method only because it is the one I was reading up

FYI: I downloaded the file and it appears as "update" on my desktop. Do i have to rename it "update.zip"? It downloaded as a folder not a zip file, do I have to compress it into a zip file before I move it on to the phone?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  14. Rodvette23

Rodvette23 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so I am having a little difficulty getting this going:

Before I even did anything, I made sure the phone settings --> applications -->development ---> and checked USB debugging (highlighted green)

I downloaded the file xcaper uploaded and it came in a folder called "Update". I tried putting into the SD card in 3 different ways.

1) just the folder itself with no changes
    2) put the folder in again but this time with the title "update.zip"
    3) compressed the folder into a zip file and renamed it "update.zip"

in all three of these methods it said that the update was aborted.

I followed every step xcaper laid out and I could not get it going? Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

p.s I found update zip folders in the trash folder of the sd card, dont know if this changes anything

_update 02-28-53
    _update 02-33-59
    update 02-28-53.zip
    update 02-33-59.zip
    update

15. skourg3

skourg3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You shouldn't run into issues for anything using a Mac. While I don't own one, and haven't done anything with my Droid on one, I have quite successfully done everything I need (mounting the SD card, using ADB, etc.) in both Windows and Linux. The SDK is available for Mac, so there is no reason it wouldn't work there, either (especially because I'm pretty sure OS X gives you a bash shell, which is what I used under Linux).

With a Mac, though, you might have to be at least a little comfortable with a terminal in order to get ADB working and such if you need it. It's command-line based and most online tutorials for it are for a Windows cmd window. Either way, it should definitely work, it just might take some effort.