1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

I am thinking of trading the Droid 2 for the X

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by glucar, Aug 18, 2010.

1. glucar

glucar New Member

I thought I needed a qwerty. But find the screen too small on the 2. I was wondering if I can navigate the X without a physical keyboard. I also hate the camara on the 2.
  2. scarmack

scarmack New Member

i came from the droid 1 and thought i couldnt live without a physical keyboard. but i found myself using the droid X very easily, especially with swype.
  3. glucar

glucar New Member

Thanks. I will! Have to try it.
  4. soba1

soba1 New Member

After being a D1 user for a year you won't have a problem navigating without the keyboard. I gave my son my D1 and I did look at the D2 in
    the store. Man the screen size for me makes a big difference.
  5. scf

scf Member

I went from a D1 to a DX. Could never easily negotiate the kb on the D1, hands/finguz just wouldn't fit. Don't miss the kb at all, except for the 3 finger salute.
  6. cpjr

cpjr New Member

I hated the D1 physical keyboard....absolutely love the X and the on screen keyboard.
  7. EGILL

EGILL New Member

Love the X coming from a BB tour. Swype makes it very easy to use.
  8. jkt

jkt New Member

I just switched to the DX from a non-smart phone. I was nervous about the lack of keyboard but it is pretty easy. Swype works great.
  9. glucar

glucar New Member

Thanks for your comments.
  10. kevroc

kevroc New Member

I love the size of the D2, love the keyboard as well. But it does seem like a stepchild in the Droid line up. Lower res camera, no FM radio, problems with exchange contacts syncing. It's like they didn't want to take any limelight from the X so the scaled the D2 back a notch or two. I just can't live with a device I feel like has been intentionally crippled.
  11. veeeee

veeeee New Member

I had a physical keyboard before the DX and don't miss it. Part of it is I am too lazy to always flip the phone to landscape and pop out the keyboard and then pop it back in just to type out a 3 word text message.
  12. Cee

Cee New Member

I love my X. Have had it for almost a month and it's my first smartphone. I was nervous about no physical keyboard but I love the virtual one and flipped on its side the keys get even bigger. The screen size is a big plus! I have a feeling they're going to retire the D2 early. If anything, the 2 should have come out before the X. I feel the X is a superior device.
  13. glucar

glucar New Member

I agree. I wish the stores had the x in stock so I can swap it out.
  14. glucar

glucar New Member

Does anyone know when the X will be in stores?
  15. VitalEcho

VitalEcho New Member

The screen size was the clincher for me, and I was worried about the keyboard too. It's still a bit of a hassle. Txting while driving is nearly impossible, but I suppose I shuldn't be anyway. Swype makes it so much better. As I said, it's somewhat of a hassle, but not anywhere nearly as bad as any other on-screen keyboard I've ever used. Screen-size is plenty to make up for any slight shortfalls.
  16. GThree

GThree New Member

Swype trumps everything when it comes to texting. I'm one speedy texts frb. I thought I'd die without my keyboard on the D1 cuz I could text while drivin, but when I stop at a light I swype like a champ. Besides the screen is bigger and you big thumb ppl can use it easily. The D2 is a good phone, but the X is by far the best imo. I have a friend with the Incredible and he' hates the fact the X came out and he can't get it. lol DX ftw :icon_ banana:
  17. DaveJustDave

DaveJustDave New Member

Supposedly the Droid 2 keyboard is much improved over D1. I originally switched from an iPhone 3GS to the D1, and for months didn't use the keyboard because I kept forgetting it had one.

In june, I found the physical keyboard indispensable, and worried about having to deal without it on the DX. If only someone would make a DX with slideout keyboard. I'd gladly deal with the extra heft and size.

However I was very surprised at the usability of the keyboard on the DX - in fact I type faster and more accurately on it since the onscreen keyboard is multitouch and its physically larger due to the larger screen. With swype enabled, that cut my text entry time in half.

The only drawback is that in landscape mode, the keyboard and input field takes up the entire screen, so you really have no context as to where you're entering the text unless you remember.
  18. glucar

glucar New Member

Does anyone know if the Droid Pro will have a qwerty?
  19. ccomengee86

ccomengee86 New Member

Please don't ****ing text while driving. If you must do so, pull over or wait for a stop light and use the speech-to-text or something.

To OP,
    stop by VZW store tomorrow and try it for yourself.
  20. mvanz

mvanz New Member

Agreed.

I came from BB Curve and I worried about the lack of a keyboard. After a few minutes with the X, worries disappeared.

I also found the speech-to-text to be extremely accurate and very helpful. So you have multi-touch, Swype, and Speech-to-text. With all those options, I doubt you'll miss the physical keyboard much.