I am Happy the 2.1 Launcher is Not Coming to Us

gatorbait

Reaction score
It just sucks that being on Moto and Verizon's flagship Android phone that we are getting a gimped experience. I know many people were worried that when the Nexus One came out, Droid owner's would take a backseat to them. It looks like that is happening.

I wish there was more transparency in the upgrade process from Google, Verizon, and/or Motorola. At least that could help me better stomach the lack of N1 features we are getting. I doubt we'll get an explanation from anyone on why certain features are missing from the Droid's update.

(I am currently running on the assumption that many of the Nexus 2.1 graphical upgrades will not be present on the Droid's 2.1 update.)

chops

Reaction score
lol I tried pressing wait the past couple of times and it wound up locking up the phone and I had to pull the battery to do a restart so I guess it is a phone by phone problem.
Oh gator I totally agree with you verizon loves putting phones on th back burner as soon as they can. If they would let you upgrade more frequently I think it would be better for us so we can buy a new phone quicker

jcortes

Reaction score
I think that phones like the nexus one will be better managed and kept up to date by google. My next phone will most definitely be a Nexus One/Two but for sure straight from Google. It is unacceptable that they don't include features of the OS 3 months after the phones release.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It just sucks that being on Moto and Verizon's flagship Android phone that we are getting a gimped experience. I know many people were worried that when the Nexus One came out, Droid owner's would take a backseat to them. It looks like that is happening.

There are various features I like with most of the launchers. It would be great to have options like having 2, or none, toolbars to pick from as well as various icons we might want to be used in the toolbar. I'm ok with the launchbar either way. Once the 2.1 version for the droid is out maybe someone will take the "best of" requests and roll them into a package for us. I see posts about changing the icons and screens for other apps now too if you're rooted.

As for Verizon's flagship...eventually it won't be. The farther from the launch date we are the closer we are to the next best thing coming out. 2.1 launcher or the same one we have now we have no option as far as what they give us. It will be what they sat down and decided is best for us/them/etc. For those who can't live with that...there's options.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
unfortunately home++ is sucking bad right now and is force closing none stop.well i would like to see 3d app drawer, five screens, and animated wall papers but it it should be an option that we can turn on and off if we want. alot off didnt root and like myself so it would be nice to see on the droid, just my personal opinion

Do you ever push wait instead of force close? It seems like most people don't understand what that message is all about. If your phone has to wait for an app for a certain amount of time, it assumes it might be locked up. It gives you the option of closing it or giving it time to finish. The thing is, most of the time I see that popup, by the time I notice it, the app already has caught up. If you click wait, everything is fine.

^+ yep... don't know why but since the last update the pop-up has accured more but I always push 'wait' and so far it's always been ready to go (i.e. responsive with NO wait, so it's not frozen and does NOT need to be FC'd). Same with most other apps that bring up the screen.

How do you know it wont be included?

He/She doesn't know for sure. It's all rumor and speculation.

Well Pete did 'leak' the 2.1 OTA yesterday (which appears legit enough). Looks like they left out the 5-screens and the live-wallpaper(s).
[video=youtube;3GRZsXUlqgI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRZsXUlqgI"]YouTube - Official Droid OTA Update Android 2.1[/video]

Last edited:

gatorbait

Reaction score
I think that phones like the nexus one will be better managed and kept up to date by google. My next phone will most definitely be a Nexus One/Two but for sure straight from Google. It is unacceptable that they don't include features of the OS 3 months after the phones release.

I'm considering going with the straight from Google route with my next phone too. I was so excited by the fact that the Droid was (supposedly) a "Google Experience" phone and I thought we would get preferential treatment because of that. I guess that's not true (if the speculation is true that the Droid's 2.1 is going to be less feature-rich compared to the Nexus One). Personally, I want OS updates to come to my phone without the manufacturer or carrier getting their fingerprints all over it (other than basic optimization and bug fixes).

It really makes me wonder whether this is Google's doing in hopes that it will push more people to buy their phones, or if it really is Motorola dropping the ball.

christim said:
As for Verizon's flagship...eventually it won't be. The farther from the launch date we are the closer we are to the next best thing coming out. 2.1 launcher or the same one we have now we have no option as far as what they give us. It will be what they sat down and decided is best for us/them/etc. For those who can't live with that...there's options.

I realize that the Droid won't be the flagship forever, and I'm not naive enough to think that the Droid will receive OS updates throughout the entirety of its lifespan. However, as of right now, there isn't a better smartphone that is manufactured by Motorola or on Verizon's network. That being the case, you would think we would get the full bells-and-whistles upgrade. Maybe those features will be added at a later date because I can't imagine Motorola wanting a dated OS on their phone when the Nexus One comes to Verizon and directly competes against the Droid.

OP
adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
unfortunately home++ is sucking bad right now and is force closing none stop.well i would like to see 3d app drawer, five screens, and animated wall papers but it it should be an option that we can turn on and off if we want. alot off didnt root and like myself so it would be nice to see on the droid, just my personal opinion

Do you ever push wait instead of force close? It seems like most people don't understand what that message is all about. If your phone has to wait for an app for a certain amount of time, it assumes it might be locked up. It gives you the option of closing it or giving it time to finish. The thing is, most of the time I see that popup, by the time I notice it, the app already has caught up. If you click wait, everything is fine.

^+ yep... don't know why but since the last update the pop-up has accured more but I always push 'wait' and so far it's always been ready to go (i.e. responsive with NO wait, so it's not frozen and does NOT need to be FC'd). Same with most other apps that bring up the screen.

How do you know it wont be included?

He/She doesn't know for sure. It's all rumor and speculation.

Well Pete did 'leak' the 2.1 OTA yesterday (which appears legit enough). Looks like they left out the 5-screens and the live-wallpaper(s).
[video=youtube;3GRZsXUlqgI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRZsXUlqgI"]YouTube - Official Droid OTA Update Android 2.1[/video]

Thanks for the backup. People assume speculation without looking around and paying attention. I downloaded the dump....the 3d launcher isn't there.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
if what pete shows is official then the argument is settled.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I agree, I am not fond of the 3d launcher. The standard launcher is much smoother and better in my opinion. I think they made the right decisions in what is missing from the update with the exception that it would have been nice to include 5 screens with the standard launcher.

Pete is the man, love the 7.6 beast!

openwheelracing

Reaction score
I have been patiently waiting for 2.1

I really want voice to text integrated. 5 screens would be nice too. I want the new gallery interface. I also want a new music interface.
I don't care for animated wallpaper or 3D app drawer.

papy72

Reaction score
I haven't seen even one FC with Home++ installed. Perhaps there is an app you are running that doesn't work and play well with Home++.

iPirate

Reaction score
What is in the video wasn't released, maybe there is a reason for it? It is still an assumption until released OTA to us officially