I am a man who bricked a D2 (sbf did not work). Ask me anything.

Reaction score
On squids rom before this I decided to mess around in some system files manually. I hard reset (powered off with power button) my phone after bootstrapping and it bootlooped (wouldn't get past M). I went through every method on the interntrons and nothing worked. I got into bootloader mode, followed an sbf tutorial, no success. Tried 3 different sources for downloading the sbf and all seemed to have completed flashing but to no avail. Eventually my battery died in bootloader mode and would not allow me to program it any further, would not charge the battery, and when I swapped the battery with my wifes D2, I got the same thing. After getting the" low battery can not program" message the phone would never leave the bootloader mode no matter what. So here I am with my warranty replacement D2 ready to answer any questions you have to prevent this from happening to you, or taking any suggestions from you as well to never experience this myself again!

Tl;dr I am a bricked D2 owner who tried all recovery methods unsuccessfully. Ask me anything.

Droid 2 :: Squidly's Rom :: oc 1.42 ulv (stable!)

pkbest

Reaction score
On squids rom before this I decided to mess around in some system files manually. I hard reset (powered off with power button) my phone after bootstrapping and it bootlooped (wouldn't get past M). I went through every method on the interntrons and nothing worked. I got into bootloader mode, followed an sbf tutorial, no success. Tried 3 different sources for downloading the sbf and all seemed to have completed flashing but to no avail. Eventually my battery died in bootloader mode and would not allow me to program it any further, would not charge the battery, and when I swapped the battery with my wifes D2, I got the same thing. After getting the" low battery can not program" message the phone would never leave the bootloader mode no matter what. So here I am with my warranty replacement D2 ready to answer any questions you have to prevent this from happening to you, or taking any suggestions from you as well to never experience this myself again!

Tl;dr I am a bricked D2 owner who tried all recovery methods unsuccessfully. Ask me anything.

Explain your process with the D2... did you try power + x? power + UP ? I am really surprised that you weren't able to SBF.. that's kinda rare if you get the steps right. Usually if you can atleast get to the M you are ok...

OP
captainoftheworld
Reaction score
That's a big ten four ghost rider. Once the phone rebooted and stuck on the M I tried battery pulls, wall charger method, power x into android recovery then search and cleared data + cache, rebooted back and stuck in M. Got to bootloader mode by holding camera, volume up, and power, once in bootloader motorla software recognized my phone, but not as that but an OMAP drive, it still let me flash (all 3 times) and said complete after each one and the phone would reboot and sit on the M again. Eventually the battery died and I got the unable to program error from bootloader mode because the battery was low. If the phone was on the charger this screen would just stay the same, the power seemed to bypass the battery and just powered the phone. Battery swap did the same thing. The phone wont charge in bootloader mode for some reason so all was lost at this point according to what I've read. So I called the warranty and got a new phone monday and flashed squidly back, its hard being phoneless and working doubles at an office job. Verizon did give me 10% discount on my 2 smartphone bills, 20% discount on my regular line, and an extra 250 minutes per month all for 6 months and for free... for my inconvenience.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To get into the bootloader for the droid 2 it is power and the up button. Squidly's rom do not require you to wipe upon install.

OP
captainoftheworld
Reaction score
I can assure you I used camera, volume up, and power to get into bootloader :) and I wasn't trying to wipe anything I was just trying to get back into the OS but I got stuck on the M then the bootloader mode. I was a happy Squidly Rommer already heh

maxdaddy99

Reaction score
Same happened to me, battery dying while trying to sbf flash. I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS! While unplugged, I cut my wall charger, seperated the two wires, and carfully electrical taped one wire to the positive connection on the battery, and the other wire to the negative side of battery (last contact, furthest from positive). Once completed, DOUBLE CHECK that each wire is ONLY TOUCHING ONE CONTACT ON BATTERY ON EACH SIDE. I let charge for approximately 1 hour. Was enough for me to flash no problem. THIS IS SOMETHING I RISKED WITH MY PHONE, I DO NOT RECOMMEND TRYING THIS AT HOME.

OP
captainoftheworld
Reaction score
Yea that's definitely hardcore... but I tried the battery from my wifes D2 and it said the same thing and stayed on the unable to program screen. Its like the bootloader was self aware... freakin skynet.

Droid 2 :: Squidly's Rom

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I stand corrected you can actually get into the bootloader both ways. As far as sbf goes I would suggest people ensure before installing a rom that their rsdlite program is set up correctly and that they are able to use it. In fact I personally checked to see if it worked before flashing any roms. The d2/x do not have a true custom recovery and if you are stuck sbf is your only means of recovering your device if you can not get into recovery mode.

OP
captainoftheworld
Reaction score
I would love to have links to an OH CRAP im bootlooped sbf/rsd lite thread. Everything I could find was for non bricked recoveries. I really wish that I could have recovered my phone because I don't want the warranty center to find out I rooted/rommed and charge me for the replacement phone that I have for free as of now.

So... anyone out there have links to download the sbf for the latest D2 ota, and links for RSD lite and what version to use? I would very much appreciate it.

Has anyone successfully recovered from a bootloop and lived to tell the tale? Something similar to my situation such as can't get past the M or stuck in bootloader mode. Please share :)

Bootloader begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self aware at 2:14a.m. Eastern Time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug. Bootloader fights back.

iwearhats

Reaction score
Link to current SBF, tools, and instructions.
TBH & MyDroidWorld Present: Droid 2 (2.3.20) Triple Threat

Are you sure you wiped data and cache from inside Android Recovery correctly?

The only reason I'm asking is because I thought I had my first time wiping from inside AR. (*I too thought I had a bad SBF and had bricked my R2D2) On my D2, once I have selected wipe data/factory reset then yes I'm sure...It takes me to a screen where I have to manually press the camera button about 50 times. The button pressing is controlling the wipe data/factory reset function? I don't know, but eventually it will say complete, then I reboot.

My battery has also died while in bootloader mode. All I did was plug the phone into an LG wall charger (*not the Motorola USB data cable plugged into the wall) and it started charging.

OP
captainoftheworld
Reaction score
yea I had to press enter on the keyboard about fifty eleven times too to get through wiping data/cache, I tried using the power adapter that went to the droid 2 cradle and it wouldn't charge it, thanks for the links my friend.

OP
captainoftheworld
Reaction score
I really appreciate all the input from the bigwigs and regular forum members. I have this post saved to favorites and in my time of need im sure it will be of great value.

"Bootloader begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern Time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug. Bootloader fights back."