1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Hulu to charge for TV shows? (rumored)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Martin030908, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

2. droidfannd

droidfannd New Member

As excited as I am by the prospect of Flash allowing me to view Hulu on my DROID...I'll believe it's possible when it happens.

The Playstation 3 web browser has Flash, but is specifically blocked by Hulu from allowing users to view the service.
  3. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

It's a service worth a price.....Now depending on the Price will depend if I keep using Hulu.
  4. Martin030908

I completely agree. And actually the pricing plan doesn't look too bad :)
  5. droidfannd

droidfannd New Member

I agree...some things are worth paying for.

I get a little aggravated by the tendency these days for everyone to assume that anything they want to use on the internet should be free.

If I value it...and it adds to my life...I'm willing to pay a little something to support it.
  6. Martin030908

Problem is most consumers don't think this way.
    I don't mind paying a little for something and get a great product.
    I think Hulu will let the mobile market in once Flash launches. IMO, the anticipation of the mobile market using Hulu is what's prompting talk of adapting a pricing structure for their service :) Imagine the revenue they could generate....
  7. droidfannd

droidfannd New Member

I suspect, though, that a lot of the programming licensing agreements that Hulu has with studios/networks are predicated on the idea that the content will be available on desktop/laptop computers.

I'm optimistic that Hulu WILL be available on mobile browsers...but I won't be surprised if it isn't.
  8. Martin030908

Good point sir.
  9. droidfannd

droidfannd New Member

Indeed, the restrictions on the Playstation browser may stem more from the fact that the Playstation network has it's own video marketplace for much of the same content that would be available on Hulu.

Since there is no formal video service on handsets...it's possible Hulu will be viable on DROID.

:)
  10. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

This has been talked about for about a year now.

It would be very stupid of comcast to make this a strictly pay service. They would basically lose all their advertisers for a handful of subscribers. I already pay for cable and have a slingbox...no way I would pay for just another version of the same thing.

NOW, if they had an adfree and more extensive paid version....a premium subscription...AND a free version that basically has the same content as the networks with ads....that would make sense. Then they get everyone that wants it for free with ads and then subscribers.

The reason Google, Radio and Network TV is so profitable is ADS!!! Take that away and you have to survive off of subscribers....and Comcast should know that isn't lucrative!

BTW, you can play hulu on PS3 with PlayOn.....maybe they will be nice and make a web/android version.
  11. droidfannd

droidfannd New Member

Last I heard there wasn't a Mac client available for PlayOn.

And my point really was that the Flash browser in the PS3 is blocked from using Hulu.