Huge storm in NYC area tookout power/internet...

xythil

Reaction score
And yet here I am posting on my laptop online.

No power, no internet, and yet through 3g, wifi, and the magic of my tether enabled droid I am able to play starcraft 2 beta still lol

Take that Iphone!

Side note. My Droid is SUPER warm... is what I am doing safe for the device?

crspang

Reaction score
Yep, the Droid knows you don't have power and is trying to heat your home.

You still need to download the AC app from the market for cooling purposes.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yep, the Droid knows you don't have power and is trying to heat your home.

You still need to download the AC app from the market for cooling purposes.

:icon_ laughup: Nice!

smokiedabong

Reaction score
It's normal for intense WiFi , 3G usage . They can reach up to 60 C (140F) if you also start the GPS .

Last edited:

coolkidd

Reaction score
My cable, internet, and phone is down as well... This sucks... good thing for my Droid that it helps me a lot to do all my internet related activities....

LouD

Reaction score
Talk about Internet survivalists! We lost power, got it back, then lost DSL. I had the droid up and running a new internet connection in about 2 min, since I'd already installed PDA net. Then when the power came back on but the 'net didn't, I used Windows connection sharing feature to sort revese connect via wi-fi to my wi-fi router. So we had five of us, my wife, my daughter and three of her visiting buddies, running off one droid. Tres cool.

BTW, highly recommended for the electronically connected/addicted: Xantrex Technology Inc. - Boat, Truck, & RV - XPower Powerpack 600HD - Product Information. Comes in different sizes.

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
Wont have phone/internet till sometime next week. Thank god for Droid. I just hope this wont ruin my phone

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Talk about Internet survivalists! We lost power, got it back, then lost DSL. I had the droid up and running a new internet connection in about 2 min, since I'd already installed PDA net. Then when the power came back on but the 'net didn't, I used Windows connection sharing feature to sort revese connect via wi-fi to my wi-fi router. So we had five of us, my wife, my daughter and three of her visiting buddies, running off one droid. Tres cool.

BTW, highly recommended for the electronically connected/addicted: Xantrex Technology Inc. - Boat, Truck, & RV - XPower Powerpack 600HD - Product Information. Comes in different sizes.

Droid definitely does. When did all this start? We had some brown outs yesterday in N.E. Ohio.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Thanks for the link. The other day my son and I were in a store and they had hand crank radios. I thought it would be cool to have a hand crank 12dc and came across these in a search on the web:
David Butcher: Pedal Powered Generator - DIY Plans
Buy Now Pedal Power Bicycle Generator Alternative Green Human Power Energy

05Ravenr6

Reaction score
Where in the city are u guys? I got power an I'm in the lower east side...haven't watched the news at all and I was in long island all day yesterday so I had no idea

Badadio

Reaction score
This sounds like it would be highly useful. Anyone have any tutorials/simple explanations for how to do "tether" your phone to your laptop's internet connection?

LouD

Reaction score
South Shore of LI Still powerless

There're talking like maybe Tuesday for restoration of power...shoulda bought that oversized battery pack...We're OK here on Fire Island however, we have our own LIPA guy.

This sounds like it would be highly useful. Anyone have any tutorials/simple explanations for how to do "tether" your phone to your laptop's internet connection?

Try here for PDA net, works well, seems popular. You may have to uninstall any other Droid drivers (the Motorola one seems problematic) to get it to work. If you want to share the connection, got to "network connections" (this is xp) in the contol panel, and use the wizard to set up connection sharing.

If this keeps up, I'm gonna get a EEE. My daughter has one and that sucker goes 9 hours between charges.