Huge files

jimisbell

Reaction score
The Droid X does absolutely fantastic videos. The sound is beyond belief for such a small mic.

I made a video at a Jam Session, just one song, but........:icon_eek:

BUT I got ready to send one of them to my brother as an attachment to an email. OOOps, cant handle 225Mbytes!!!

So how can one send a file that big in the internet???

xliderider

Reaction score
Off the top of my head? Create a free account at a file hosting website like megaupload.com and upload your video file. Then text or email the link to your file to your brother so he can download it.

J

Johnly

It is a Pain int the ***, the format the X saves videos in needs converting to a friendly format, then rider is right, youtube it or whatever...

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
If you get a DropBox account (free) and load the DropBox app on your phone, (also free) you can upload the video to DropBox by going to Gallery, Menu button, share.

Upload it to the Public folder.

Once the upload is finished you can go into the DropBox app, find the file, long press on it, and choose share the link. When the share option comes up pick your email and send it to who ever. They will be able to use the link to download the file.

This does not solve the problem of the wonky file type, but the file will play on most computers. At least my Mac will, using Quicktime. I've got to convert it before I can do anything else with it though.

This will be painfully slow and battery draining on 3G for any large file. Best to find a WiFi spot.

And, oh yea, DropBox has a 2GB file limit for the free account. Hopefully you aren't going to try and transfer a file this big off your phone via WiFi or 3G. That would be a crazy long time.

This all assumes you really want to do everything from your phone. Otherwise; transfer it to you computer via USB and treat it like you would any other large file.

Last edited:

radroni

Reaction score
one way is to edit the files to smaller versions...or upload them to a server like youtube .....i dont no if their is a mobile file splitter or not...but u can use the edit function on tue vid section to cut them...and if u try to send it from the share function it will ask to resize it first ....i no wat i done was transfer to my pc and do it from their....but i do agree the x does do nice vids...i have recorded concerts parts with mine and all i can say is i am very impressed...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
jimisbell

jimisbell

Reaction score
Lots of good ideas there.

Yes, I have a Dropbox but its almost full right now. I guess I should cull it someday....maybe now.

I havent had any problem playing the files on my PC. It just does it and I didnt have to set anything up. But I am running Linux so that may be the difference. I did find that on my wifes laptop running W7 it didnt know what to do with the file.:icon_ banana:

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Lots of good ideas...but I didnt see one of the easiest listed...drop the video resolution.

The reason the video files are so large is because out of the box, the DX is set to record in 720P HD..and those files can be huge as you have seen. You sacrifice quality for size and the ability to attach videos to MMS messages by dropping the video from HD down to QVGA or the like.

You can also upload the video straight to YouTube..with them being large files its best to do this over wifi and not 3g...and it will take a bit of time. I just did 2 videos this past week, 1 was 198mb and the other was 358mb...each took a bit of time to upload, but both were done in less than 20 minutes on my wifi at home. Then all you have to do is give the link to whomever you want to view the video...

By the way, the .3gp video format is easily recognized by QuickTime, as well as being able to play the files on PC`s using VLC media player.

OP
jimisbell

jimisbell

Reaction score
I download everything from the phone to the computer FIRST to get around the time problems with WiFi and 3G.