Huge difference in phone/SD app size?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by raphytaffy, Dec 25, 2010.

1. raphytaffy

raphytaffy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, Merry Christmas! I'm not sure if this is ROM specific but I just flashed from CM to BB (wiped data/cache of course). After all of my apps downloaded and restored from the market, I restored all my user apps + data via Titanium Backup like I usually do and my phone is now showing a low space warning. I had to resort to moving the majority of my apps to my SD card afterwards. When doing so, I noticed a huge difference in the size of the app while it's on my SD card vs. when it's on the phone's internal storage. For example:

Angry Birds on phone:
    Total = 14.32 MB
    App = 14. 29 MB
    Data = 28.00 KB

Angry Birds on SD:
    Total = 2.04 MB
    App = 2.01 MB
    Data = 28.00 KB

I never bothered to look at this info before as I've never had to worry about low disk space, so I'm not sure if this is normal behavior or something is out of the norm. My guess is it's the latter since there's such a huge discrepancy. Any advice on fixing this issue would be great. Thanks!

2. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Completely normal. I think the bulk is moved to the SD while some is still on the phone so the app will still function and launch. If that makes sense..?

DroidForums junkie!!

3. ViperPyro

ViperPyro New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes completely normal. "Moving the app to SD" copy's the .apk file to the SD card, and keeps the data that the app creates on the internal (which is the reported size).

Therefore, apps like MiniSqaudron that have an apk file size of like 21MB are very, very small once moved to the SD because everything was included in the apk. On the other hand, Facebook creates and stores temporary pictures, data, etc after it is launched, so its file size on the internal is many times larger than the physically larger MiniSqaudron.

4. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That is normal. What's being reported is the internal space used (not the SD card space used). The whole point of moving apps to SD is to use less of the internal storage. You can't move 100% a given app.

To use your example above, Angry Birds doesn't shrink when moved to SD. You've just moved ~12MB to the SD card, leaving ~2MB internal.

Search tags for this page
android apps less space sd card
android move angry birds to sd card
application size reduced after moving to sd
application total size grows move sd card
moving apps to sd increase file size
reduce size of data on android sd card

why do apps take up less space on sd card

why does app size decrease when moving apps from phone to sd
why does the application size decrease when moved to sd card
why moving app to sd card increases total size