Huge Battery Drain

Discussion in 'HTC Rezound' started by raptor5k, Mar 24, 2013.

1. raptor5k

raptor5k New Member

So for the last two days my rezound has been going nuts. Obviously something is making it work in the background, because it's hot to the touch, and the battery keeps draining in about 4 hours, even with minimal/no use. I haven't downloaded any new apps lately, and I can't figure out what it is. Scrolling between home screens is slow, and all my widgets keep "flickering" as i flip to the home screen that they're on. I don't think it's a problem with the widgets, since all of them are doing it, and because of the other problems. I just don't know how to see what's causing me problems. any suggestions? I tried a phone reset, and a battery pull. Next I might try wiping cache, though I can't see that helping much either. I've gotta figure this out soon though, since my phone is essentially not useable for more than 2-3 hours off of a charger.
  2. Drew_P

Drew_P New Member

Have you tried going to settings and looking under battery to see what's been using the most juice?
  3. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

For the battery drain, GSAM Battery Monitor usually can help find these issues very quickly... it is almost always an app that is holding the wake-lock for some reason, it sounds like some app is stuck in a loop in the background but a battery pull reset would normally stop that so something else is going on. If all else fails, factory default and if the problem continues you will probably have to see about a replacement.
  4. raptor5k

raptor5k New Member

It just says Display, is 74%, Cell Standby is 7% and phone Idle is 7%. All the rest are minor.

This afternoon after the battery pull, it seemed to be back to normal for awhile. Then after 6 or so hours of normal, it went back to super heating and draining the battery in no time. I'll download GSAM and see if I can figure out what it is. Thanks for the suggestion.
  5. ahendric

ahendric New Member

Let me know what you find, my daughter's phone has been doing the same thing for the last couple of days as well. I went and bought a new battery thinking that this was the reason.

A
  6. raptor5k

raptor5k New Member

Still no luck. I keep thinking I've found the answer, since it will be normal for awhile, and then it goes right back to it. Yesterday I thought it was the Facebook app, so i avoided using it today at all so it wasn't left running. by noon it was down to 35 percent, with very minimal usage (sent a few texts.) So i'm kind of back to square one. My GSAM battery monitor is showing "android system" as being the huge hog, using almost 20%. is that normal, anyone?
  7. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

It can be, depends on usage... I would try some of the other views in the App Sucker, try changing the view to "View Time Held Awake" and "View Num Times Waking Device" because it sounds like the device is not going to sleep properly. In the main view of GSAM, where does it show most of the power is going, App Usage, Screen, Phone Radio, WiFi, etc. and what is the Held Awake time? To give you an idea of "normal", mine is about 18% Screen, 2.5% Phone Radio, 1% WiFi, 2.5% Phone, and the rest App Usage, held awake time 32 minutes in about a 16 hour day. Screen time is usually the big one, how much is your screen on time?
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  8. hotsaucecommittee

hotsaucecommittee Member

Are you having any signal issues? I went through similar issues on my rezound a few weeks ago but I was also experiencing extremely poor 4g and 3g. I tried everything I could think of. Finally gave in and did the double FDR. Also pulled my extended battery and went back to normal battery and back door (i think that my ext door must have somehow gotten broken antennas) and instantly my rez was back to being the best phone I've ever owned. It was a serious pain in the ass, but worth it to fix all those strange issues.
  9. raptor5k

raptor5k New Member

I'll have to check it out when I get off work. I work in an area where electronics aren't allowed, so the phone is in the car.

YES! Not at first, which is why it wasn't mentioned in the OP, but especially yesterday I would have 0 service, or at least 0 data. I would reboot the phone and have data back. Also, text messages are taking forever to send, like 2 minutes sometimes. they'll sit with an hour glass and eventually go, most of the time. sometimes they're failing too. I do not have an extended battery or door, So at the risk of sounding ignorant, what's an FDR? I'll try anything to fix this crap. I normally love my phone but the last week is starting to get aggravating.
  10. Bpowder33

Bpowder33 New Member

I believe factory default reset?
  11. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

I'm with Bpowder on this one, probably time for a full factory default! We can poke and peck at this all day, but if there are multiple issues like you describe it's probably the way to go.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  12. raptor5k

raptor5k New Member

Damn. I was really hoping it wouldn't come to that, but maybe it's time. If I do a reset, can I restore apps via Titanium backup? or will that just restore whatever my problem is?
  13. Bpowder33

Bpowder33 New Member

Are you rooted?
  14. raptor5k

raptor5k New Member

Yes, rooted and I use Titanium to back up apps every month or so.
  15. Bpowder33

Bpowder33 New Member

I also use titanium frequently, I only restore the apps on a fresh install, no data, except for my folder organizer app because there's no way I'm setting that back up again. Did you try wiping dalvik and cache in recovery by chance?
  16. hotsaucecommittee

hotsaucecommittee Member

Factory data reset. The whole deal. Check the forums on here about it first, cuz you will delete everything and I mean everything. But it fixed all that crap for me. Totally worth all the saving and transferring and time and all that.
  17. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

The answer is, yes you can, but I wouldn't... You most likely have something messed up in the phone, and restoring data just restore the issue right back in to the phone.

I would factory default, restore contacts and SMS, and add nothing for a day or two... if the battery drain continues it's probably a bad handset, if it stops then an app or something an app did is causing the issue, so probably don't want to restore apps.
  18. raptor5k

raptor5k New Member

I did exactly this. Wiped everything last night. I only re-installed about 5 apps (keyboard, alarm clock, battery monitor, titanium backup) So far since last night it's been much better. no battery drain, no annoying flickering of widgets, no service issues. If I get through the day and it's still being good, I'll start reinstalling a few apps at a time. It will take me a few days to get re setup, but hopefully it'll fix my issues. Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I'll let you know how it goes.
  19. raptor5k

raptor5k New Member

Well day 2 after the wipe, and it's working better than ever. I recovered a dozen more apps last night, and it's still working well. after 20 hours of being on battery last night I was @ 50%. Of course I don't have facebook or email loaded back up yet, but still it seems to be back to normal and then some. Still don't know what caused it, but it looks like I have it fixed. Thanks for the help everyone.
  20. ahendric

ahendric New Member

Let me know how the facebook thing goes. My daughter's phone works great until she installs facebook and that is when she gets major battery drain. Sadly, she just gets rid of facebook. :)
Search tags for this page
android system battery drain fix
android system battery drain htc one
device idle battery drain s4
gsam battery monitor held awake
htc battery discharging too quickly
htc battery drain
htc battery draining fast
htc battery drains fast
htc battery drains too fast

htc rezound battery drain

htc rezound battery issues