Huawei Tries to Trump Sony's Announcement with a Crazy 7-Inch Smartphone!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Huawei-MediaPad-7-Vogue-3.jpg

It looks like Huawei didn't want to be be out-done by Sony in the "McDonalds Supersized" crazy phablet category. On the same day that Sony announced their new Xperia Z Ultra 6.44-inch phablet, Huawei just announced a 7-inch phone called the MediaPad 7 Vogue. We will simply share the press release (with specs bolded) and let you guys digest and discuss the ridiculousness of calling this device a phone.

Huawei launches the multi-talented MediaPad 7 Vogue

All the functionality of a tablet, smartphone, and entertainment center, in one stylish package

[Shenzhen, China, 24 June, 2013]: Huawei, a leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider, today launched the HUAWEI MediaPad 7 Vogue, the latest in Huawei’s range of products that make great technology accessible. With a 7-inch display, aluminum unibody and quad-core processor, the MediaPad 7 Vogue provides the perfect mix of functions from a tablet, smartphone and entertainment center in one stylish and portable device.

“Building on the popularity of the HUAWEI MediaPad series, we’ve created a new tablet that caters to fashionistas, technology seekers, entertainment junkies, and people who simply expect more from their technology,” said Richard Yu, Chief Executive Officer, Huawei Consumer Business Group. “We’re delighted to introduce the MediaPad 7 Vogue, our call-enabled tablet with world-class entertainment capabilities and long-lasting battery power. The MediaPad 7 Vogue is a perfect example of Huawei’s dedication to making extraordinary experiences possible.”

The HUAWEI MediaPad 7 Vogue boasts a built-in receiver for direct calling capabilities that remove the need for headphones. It features a powerful quad-core 1.2GHz processor CPU and 16-core GPU, fluid 3D gaming and 1080p full HD video playback. The 3G module supports DC-HSPA+, and downlink speed can reach up to 42Mbps, and the Wi-Fi connection supports 802.11b/g/n for fast streaming of movies or videos. MediaPad 7 Vogue also features a 4100mAh Li-Polymer battery and Huawei’s proprietary power-saving technology, enabling playback of four HD movies or more than 20 hours of continuous calling on one charge. The MediaPad 7 Vogue’s antenna performance is top-class, exceeding most operator standards in the US and Europe.

With its strong and sleek aluminum metal unibody design, the MediaPad 7 Vogue is ultra light and compact at just 9.5mm thin and weighing only 335g. Its 7-inch capacitive 1024 x 600 (IPS) multi-touchscreen with full view-angle and vivid display, offers a dazzling visual experience to bring your photos and videos to life.

Running on Android 4.1, the MediaPad 7 Vogue is pre-installed with email, word processing, Facebook, YouTube, and GPS navigation, and also features Huawei’s proprietary Emotion UI 1.5 providing a more user-friendly and personalized experience.

Offering seamless connectivity, the MediaPad 7 Vogue’s Micro USB port is compatible with a full-range of accessories including an external keyboard, mouse and USB flash disk, while the Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and Airsharing functionalities allow for swift content sharing wherever you are.

The MediaPad 7 Vogue comes in black and white and will be available in China this month, with other markets to follow.

giant_phone.jpg

Briankbl

Reaction score
7" is a tablet. This is a dumb device lol. At least the Sony Ultra has crazy specs to go along with it's ridiculous size, but anything over 6", in my opinion, is leaving phablet territory. Both of these products are tablets with phone capabilities lol.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2!

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
My Galaxy Note 2 was the last small phone I will ever purchase. I'm no longer willing to play around with these tiny devices.

I'm waiting until I can hold my Alienware M17X up to my ear and make phone calls.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
My opinion...I like the oversized "phablet". I don't typically place the phone against my face for many reasons, not the least is so I don't smear/grease, up the screen (yuch). I prefer the convenience of a BT headset (Jawbone Icon Rogue), and with self-made custom eargel mold (https://sugru.com/), I have the benefit of a comfortable, all-day fit that lets me keep the volume way down and still gives me clear communications. This also allows me to surf the web, check stock prices, communicate via email, text, etc., all while on a call. In fact, I don't even have to take the phone out of my pocket if I don't want to. I can call, answer, use voice commands, even Google search all with the BT headset. It is even useful when driving, so I can text and drive (speech to text), and not kill anyone or myself.

Frankly, if they did away with the speaker and microphone altogether (except of course for video recording and playback), I wouldn't miss them at all. So I say bring on the Phablets with phone capability. I want internet on the road and cellular access the only true reliable way to have it virtually wherever you go, as WIFI is only so easily obtained on the road. I want a large screen that lets me "see" what I'm seeing, rather than to squint and blink to try and make out the fonts those tiny pixels are displaying. When I want to see a photo, I would like to see it in 4X6 or better, rather than "wallet-sized". When editing text documents or spreadsheets, I want them to be as close to life-size (width-wise), as I can get. I don't mind scrolling up and down, but hate to scroll sideways...that's true for web pages as well.

Finally, when I watch a movie, I don't want to have to keep the device less than 12" from my eyes to make it appear the same relative size as my large-screen TV which sits 13' away from my chair at home in my den.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Holds up Nexus 7 to ear for a phone call... Nope. Not gonna work lol