Huawei LYO phone assistance

bwallx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei LYO-L21
I'm new here and am confused by the number of forums so am posting my queries here if that is OK.

I have a Huawei LYO-L21 mobile phone with Android 5.1

I have two questions - first, trying to access files on it from my PC is very hit and miss using a variety of desktop phone manager apps. All fail to recognise the phone at some point, drop the connection and generall faff about. My Win 10 is the latest version.

Second I'd like a more recent version of Android installed. Huawei no longer upgrade this model but I'm will to risk bricking it and do it myself. Any recommendations of a site that will talk me through this please?

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
how are you connected to the pc? cable? wifi? you said you tried a variety of desktop phone manager apps? did you try windows file manager? also when it drops connections was it because the phone signed you out?

as far as a more recent version of android, I doubt there are any sites that will talk you though but can help with questions. I would recommend xda forums. one thing you must consider before going to another version. there could be phone features that will no longer work. it would be like trying to put windows 10 on a computer that came with winxp, there will not be drivers available for everything you may need and the computer itself may not have the resources to run win10 properly. the same goes with a smartphone.

OP
B

bwallx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei LYO-L21
Thanks. I connect with USB. File manager only "sees" some of the folders on the phone, not all so is useless. I understand the unseen folders are formatted on the phone in a way windows doesn't understand? So I tried mobiledit etc and the desktop goes bananas repeatedly connecting, disconnecting, reconnecting etc every few seconds. It never used to do this. But even then Mobiledit and Moborobo etc always made a dogs dinner of connecting. It seems windows and Android just don't like each other. I might try wifi - will that be easier?

As for updating my android, I'l look at XDA. Even if I just jump to v6 and not be too ambitious.

OP
B

bwallx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei LYO-L21
I have an app that does screengrabs and stores files in it's own folder for example. The file system seems designed to be obscure compared to windows.

OP
B

bwallx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei LYO-L21
Sorted. Although Win 10 file explorer only displays two folders when my device is connected (DCIM and Pictures), neither contains bespoke folders created by apps. I have explorer always set to show hidden files btw thanks. However right clicking the Phone "drive" in 'This PC' opens 'import pictures and videos' and this does see all the folders it seems. They are copied very quickly into an imported pictures folder within the Pictures library.

This is much faster and more convenient than using Moborobo or similar. However such apps are handy for backups and access to contacts etc.