Huawei Could Be the Next Nexus Smartphone Maker

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
huwaei-nexus.jpg

According to the latest mobile scuttlebutt, Huawei will be the next Google Nexus smartphone maker this year. Two pieces of intel lead to this rumor. One comes from an interview with Richard Yu, the CEO of Huawei’s consumer division at Mobile World Congress this year. In that interview, he made it clear that when Huawei enters the US market this year with Android smartphones they will be relying on Google by offering a stock version of Android on their phones.

This is obviously just a hint, and it would be a great example of "conclusion jumping" to assume that is why Huawei is the next Nexus maker. The second bit of evidence flat out claims to confirm that this is the case. Kevin Yang, the Director of China Research at iSuppli, confirmed on Weibo today that Google has definitely chosen Huawei as the next Nexus maker.

Supposedly, the reason why Google chose Huawei for their Nexus program was because it is the biggest competitor to Xiaomi at the moment in China.

What do you guys think? Is this intel a bit too thin, or right on the money? What do you think of a Nexus device from Huawei?

Source: GizmoChina & The Verge

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've never personally owned a Huawei device, but I haven't really seen any rave reviews about them, either. This should be interesting to say the least.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Idk if there's a Huawei for vzw's network. And I'm betting that this will also mean.. Vzw is leaving the nexus phone genre out, again..

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't think it matters if verizon "allows" a nexus. I really believe the nexus 6 was just a trojan horse. Unlike the galaxy nexus the nexus do not require you to flash a separate software for the verizon nexus because of the radios. The nexus being Google's reference device means now that technically Google just sell one phone in there store that is unlocked and works for all carriers. The flip side is are people willing to pay 600+ for a device at check out vs paying payments?
Sadly I do not think enough people are willing to forsake payment plans and because of that in the end you guys are right that if Verizon and the other carriers do not adopt it to where people can make payments then that could hurt sales. I am curious to see the sales numbers of the nexus 6 (which could be purchased through carriers) vs the Nexus 5.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Granted, I didn't read the source articles, just the quick write-up here, but using stock android doesn't mean it's a nexus devices.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
The whole issue of carrier branded/locked devices is BSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! Phones should be phones. Buy a phone then pick who you wanna subscribe to, plain and simple. Let me put it in my token hot wings and beer explanation. When you buy a car say a BMW, that car can drive on any street, any road, and patch of dirt. You dont buy a BMW then have BMW dictate to you that its only good on BMW roads. No, b/c tax $$$$ made ALL the roads for ALL cars. You dont buy a Ford then only can put Ford gas in it. When you buy a pc, you arent restricted to only Microsoft internet. When you buy that 4k tv, it isnt stuck with only working from a DirecTv signal. Same with cellular airways, tax money built and maintain those tower. Dont believe me, take a close look at your bill and investigate what those surcharges and regulatory charges actually mean.

Ranting I know, but this do what we tell you, how we tell you, when we tell you crap from these conglomerate companies has to end!! And oh god dont start me on auto insurance lmaoooo

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The whole issue of carrier branded/locked devices is BSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! Phones should be phones. Buy a phone then pick who you wanna subscribe to, plain and simple. Let me put it in my token hot wings and beer explanation. When you buy a car say a BMW, that car can drive on any street, any road, and patch of dirt. You dont buy a BMW then have BMW dictate to you that its only good on BMW roads. No, b/c tax $$$$ made ALL the roads for ALL cars. You dont buy a Ford then only can put Ford gas in it. When you buy a pc, you arent restricted to only Microsoft internet. When you buy that 4k tv, it isnt stuck with only working from a DirecTv signal. Same with cellular airways, tax money built and maintain those tower. Dont believe me, take a close look at your bill and investigate what those surcharges and regulatory charges actually mean.

Ranting I know, but this do what we tell you, how we tell you, when we tell you crap from these conglomerate companies has to end!! And oh god dont start me on auto insurance lmaoooo
That car metaphor really only works lately, now that all carriers use SIM cards. Previously, before LTE, Verizon and Sprint used CDMA networks with no SIM cards. AT&T and T-Mobile used GSM, which used SIM cards.

It was physically impossible to drive your BMW on another company's road when your BMW didn't have the proper tires. Now that they use SIM cards, it's a little less hairy, but the foundation of each carrier's flavor of LTE is still built on these different technologies, protocols, frequencies, etc.

Not that I don't get what you're saying, but it's less of an issue of carriers refusing to let a device on their network than it is a device not having the proper technology/radios/etc built into it for it to work properly on said network.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Granted, I didn't read the source articles, just the quick write-up here, but using stock android doesn't mean it's a nexus devices.
Are you sure you read it? lol! I even discuss your point in the OP. I also mentioned that a separate source specifically claims that Huawei will definitely be making the next Nexus device. That second bit of intel is the only reason I posted this story.

Of course, both the earlier supposition and the claims by the second source could be wrong, but it was still worth sharing. ;)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Are you sure you read it? lol! I even discuss your point in the OP. I also mentioned that a separate source specifically claims that Huawei will definitely be making the next Nexus device. That second bit of intel is the only reason I posted this story.

Of course, both the earlier supposition and the claims by the second source could be wrong, but it was still worth sharing. ;)
Ok, the second source, maybe. But the first paragraph simply says stock android.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The reason I can see this being possible is because Google has been trying to get in China and the latest news about their android one is that it is not doing like they hoped. So what better way to penetrate China than to piggyback a company already known there. Really is a smart business move if they go through with it. Not saying we here in the states will be down with it.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, the second source, maybe. But the first paragraph simply says stock android.

I wrote, "This is obviously just a hint, and it would be a great example of "conclusion jumping" to assume that is why Huawei is the next Nexus maker."

This was my segue into the more definitive second source, and it was meant to qualify your exact point, which is that stock Android is not necessarily Nexus. :p

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I wrote, "This is obviously just a hint, and it would be a great example of "conclusion jumping" to assume that is why Huawei is the next Nexus maker."

This was my segue into the more definitive second source, and it was meant to qualify your exact point, which is that stock Android is not necessarily Nexus.
Glad we can agree. ;)