HTC's Facebook Page Hit By "Mostly" Unwarranted Kernel Source Spam Campaign

mark3748

Reaction score
This is a group of people who feel entitled to something that really isn't theirs to begin with. Now HTC has been very kind to releasing their source codes but they certainly dont owe that to the consumer base.

They do owe it, All of the sources that are covered by the GPL MUST be made available with any compiled code. The source should be made available when the product is released.

It is not a matter of them being altruistic, it is a requirement of using the code in their products, period. Even waiting 90-120 days is a breach of the license.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is a group of people who feel entitled to something that really isn't theirs to begin with. Now HTC has been very kind to releasing their source codes but they certainly dont owe that to the consumer base.

They do owe it, All of the sources that are covered by the GPL MUST be made available with any compiled code. The source should be made available when the product is released.

It is not a matter of them being altruistic, it is a requirement of using the code in their products, period. Even waiting 90-120 days is a breach of the license.

Ha if Google themselves violate open source standards, why wouldnt the OEMs?

Reaction score
I'm not sure why people are saying that those spammers feel "entitled" to something when they shouldn't be. Htc is in violation of the gpl, they were supposed to release it the moment the phone was released. I'm not into roms and hacking my phone, just root access, so this isn't such a big deal for me. But I think campaigns such as these do carry some impact. People all said the same thing about that guy who made that petition for motorola to unlock their bootloaders, he's made a significant impact and actually caused motorola to reconsider their bootloader policy.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
my problem is not asking for the source, its the idiotic way these people go about doing it. spamming a facebook page is stupidity in every sense of the word. this reminds me of when motorola put up that poll on their facebook page and 10 people started spamming and voting multiple times acting like millions wanted unlocked bootloaders

as for the guy with the bootloader petition, he did it the correct way. he contacted motorola, expressed his concerns and tried to work with not against them. he didn't spam them or harass them or call them out on facebook pages (i mean, that in itself shows you how childish some of these ppl are....using facebook to get their point across), and he didn't threaten them or come out with ridiculous and unrealistic plans to make them listen to him.

you don't have to be an obnoxious fool to get a company to listen to you, or spam their FB page...

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

You are right I was wrong about the source code but I still think it is a "brats" mentality to lower yourself to spamming someones site to get your point across. It is exactly the same as a little kid throwing a temper tantrum to get what they want. Like people have said before, there are far more mature ways to get what you want.

Kag Pirate

Reaction score
This is the part of the community that makes me shake my head. In the end it is still a phone. Again there are a large population of android and iPhone users who could care less about jailbreak or rooting. In the end I want a phone that works.

Sent from my ADR6400L

exactly, I feel like the generation right below mine like the 18-25 year olds now have such a ridiculous sense of entitlement to EVERYTHING. If they don't get what they feel they deserve it's curse the world and it's everyone else's fault. Not all of them are like that thankfully, but the ones who are more than make up for the ones who are not.

Amen and Amen