HTC Working on a Nexus Phone That Will Include Apple 3D Touch-like Controls [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
HTC-Nexus5-concept.jpg

The above image was a concept artist's render of a rumored HTC Nexus 5 from a couple years ago.

We finally have a rumor for the next Nexus smartphone from Google. Supposedly, HTC is the latest OEM to get a crack at building a successful Nexus smartphone. The other part of this rumor suggests that the HTC Nexus will include some type of pressure sensitive controls in the display which will be similar to the 3D Touch functionality found in the Apple iPhone 6S.

For those who don't know how this tech works, the pressure sensitive controls allow you to hold your thumb or finger lightly over an app or icon just to gather info about it. Alternatively, it also provides secondary functions for those apps when you press down a bit harder on the icon. Technically, it's similar to the long-press that we already have on Android, so it might not add that much more to the experience.

We are a bit skeptical of this rumor because there has been no word that Google was working on the software for this functionality in Android N. Of course, there could be several things they haven't talked about yet, so it's still possible, and we shouldn't discount it out of hand.

Here's a dedicated section for the rumored HTC Nexus 2016 device, just in case it materializes: HTC Nexus 2016

Source: Phandroid

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
HTC? Booo

Sent from my Note 4

techinv

Reaction score
I've had 2 HTC phones over the last 6-7 years and I was very happy with both of them, especially the Droid DNA. The more recent products leave me cold. I'm hoping that HTC can do something significant here; was already looking forward to the M10. Time will tell I guess......

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
Great.....why not just tap Apple to make a Nexus iPhone instead of having HTC completely copy them and try to pass it off as their own. HTC has gone from a respectable OEM that looked like it had a promising future when it released the M7 and now is an embarrassment to Android.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've had 2 HTC phones over the last 6-7 years and I was very happy with both of them, especially the Droid DNA. The more recent products leave me cold. I'm hoping that HTC can do something significant here; was already looking forward to the M10. Time will tell I guess......
It's amazing how far HTC has fallen from the ranks.

We talking about the company that had hit after hit. The original Google phone, the nexus one, the incredible, the evo, the htc rezound, they were all awesome phones.

I'm partly excited for a HTC nexus except I am reminded of the HTC nexus tablet that bombed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Powarun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I really hope HTC doesn't mess it up. Recently had to go from Big Red to US Cellular, and was upset that they didn't have any HTC phone options. Though after seeing the Galaxy 7, the Nexus route may be the only thing to save HTC this year.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm happy to hear HTC is getting a shot, not happy that the latest rumors suggest that Google is doing more like Apple. Which could be a bad slippery slope. I just hope HTC doesn't disappoint.

Sent from my Nexus 6P