Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState

Gunslinger

Reaction score
@VZWSupport on Twitter just posted this:

Correction>> You CAN activate your HTC device with an unlocked bootloader on our network, we apologize for the confusion.

I can't figure out how to permalink to the tweet, because I don't use Twitter :icon_ banana:

Twitter

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
I know this sounds crazy but google should just create their own cellphone service.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
actually

there were rmors of this a while back. but goole said they wouldnt be doing that. but who knows i could see google merging with sprint if the tmobile/att deal goes through. or should i say attempting since i think microsoft and apple would have a problem with that. but im sure Microsoft at this point is scratching their head. were Microsoft what do you mean we cant sell these phones were Microsoft.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
The only way I can see Google getting into being their own provider would be by acquiring another company. Starting up from scratch would be more than even they would want to spend, I believe. Plus the time of building the system. Acquiring would be the only option.

sb1831

Reaction score
I'm probably in the minority, but I can see this backfiring. People complained to force the hand of the manufacturers, without thinking about possible repercussions. We already hear about the tiered data, but what will be next? I can foresee Verizon saying, "Yes we will sell phones with unlocked bootloaders. We'll allow this provided those phones incorporate a feature which sends that information to us so that we can prevent fraudulent insurance claims, and restrict access to certain apps on the market due to agreements with our partners."

They never said it wouldn't void the warranty if you alter your phone's software or that they wouldn't restrict access to other features.

I think sometimes this community is it's own worst enemy. I believe carries really became aware of how many people root their devices when people started complaining about the DX. The next thing we know all bootloaders(more or less) were locked and tiered data is coming with increased LTE coverage. Return guidelines have changed, as well as insurance guidelines. I can't truly believe that all of these changes have occured by happenstance.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
No....all of that happened because of the iPhone coming to Verizon....lol

Seriously, Good points. (I figured I outta blame the iPhone before someone else does. At least I'm joking about the iPhone...jkhonea..leave me be.....lol)

The-thing-that-ppl-do-with-Verizon's-network-that-shall-not-be-named......has to also play a part.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
ly, Good points. (I figured I outta blame the iPhone before someone else does. At least I'm joking about the iPhone...jkhonea..leave me be.....lol)

Geez, I've gotten that popular with you? :rofl2:

Oh and I suspect you are VERY right about the last part of your post. Tethering most definitely plays into Verizon wanting the equipment locked down. In fact, I would go as far as to say it is more tethering than warranty returns, truth be known.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
ly, Good points. (I figured I outta blame the iPhone before someone else does. At least I'm joking about the iPhone...jkhonea..leave me be.....lol)

Oh and I suspect you are VERY right about the last part of your post. Tethering most definitely plays into Verizon wanting the equipment locked down. In fact, I would go as far as to say it is more tethering than warranty returns, truth be known.

Then throttle data rates for those who use <5GB, problem solved. It's not as though everyone on the network is rooting their phones to tether the universe, it's probably one third of one percent of the total market that abuses tethering on a regular basis. So punish them, not everyone. :)

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Then throttle data rates for those who use <5GB, problem solved. It's not as though everyone on the network is rooting their phones to tether the universe, it's probably one third of one percent of the total market that abuses tethering on a regular basis. So punish them, not everyone. :)

It's probably easier, and costs less for them to just throttle everyone haha

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
well not really

I'm probably in the minority, but I can see this backfiring. People complained to force the hand of the manufacturers, without thinking about possible repercussions. We already hear about the tiered data, but what will be next? I can foresee Verizon saying, "Yes we will sell phones with unlocked bootloaders. We'll allow this provided those phones incorporate a feature which sends that information to us so that we can prevent fraudulent insurance claims, and restrict access to certain apps on the market due to agreements with our partners."

They never said it wouldn't void the warranty if you alter your phone's software or that they wouldn't restrict access to other features.

I think sometimes this community is it's own worst enemy. I believe carries really became aware of how many people root their devices when people started complaining about the DX. The next thing we know all bootloaders(more or less) were locked and tiered data is coming with increased LTE coverage. Return guidelines have changed, as well as insurance guidelines. I can't truly believe that all of these changes have occured by happenstance.

ok the tierd data is actaully verizon being the last to formally do so other than sprint but their coverage area just isnt a competition to att,verizon or tmobile.
they are already making apps not work on rooted phones and this has nothing to do with bootloaders just rooted. it has already been a warrently breaking to root your phone. just that the carriers have been very lenient on this but that will stiffin up. the tierd data wsa already coming and will last for a few years than it will disappear as the networks can handle it. not so sure they cant now in most areas but overcrowded cities seem to have problems.
the main problem here is the carriers have to be very careful how thye word their contracts and any statements they make so when they dont warrenty that phone people cant bring up this or that quote in court. to say we are unlocking our bootloaders and that we will allow these phones on our network. does not say they will warrenty any phone that actaully is rooted or bootloader is changed. and they are already knowing who is rooted and who has changed their bootloaders. if you dont think so your mistaken. remember there is memory and chips in these phones that i am sure have areas of hidden functionality such as sending data to the carriers of bootloader or rooting alterations. very easy to do. do you think the tracking abilities of iphone and android were really bugs.
read the fine print in the contracts there is a mention of sending data back to carrier. it doesnt specify what data.
overall this will be good for the persons that want to mess with the phones. and as long as you dont brick it will be good.
all the tiered data and such has nothing to do with tether or anything other than limiting bandwidth until they can make more availablity of bandwidth and pay for it as they do it. in 2 - 4 years it will be unlimited again. its all about balancing profit, available funds to expand and purchase bandwidth. remember we curse the carriers but they paid the governement millions/billions for spectrum and im still trying to figure out why it is the governement should be paid for use of open space radio freqquencies. regulating and keeping track to prevent crossover is a must. but selling it is just another tax because we are paying those ridiculous prices for frequencies.
also remember the money we need to replace to the carriers for them to continue to fight the governement wanting to put tracking software inj all phones. so yeah there is greed but there is also a lot of money going out we dont normally think about.

sb1831

Reaction score
also remember the money we need to replace to the carriers for them to continue to fight the governement wanting to put tracking software inj all phones. so yeah there is greed but there is also a lot of money going out we dont normally think about.

LOL Are you serious? It didn't make sense to me when you argued that everything IS in fact COINCIDENCE. You may want to lay off of the conspiracy blogs and sites. The government already requires that cellular companies track your whereabouts for emergency purposes. Verizon & Sprint use A-GPS and T-mobile and AT&T use TDOA.

The government wants legislation to require to logging of this location information. The Obama administration says we have "no expectation of privacy," with regards to the location data of our cell phones. The Digital Due Process Coalition (digitaldueprocess.org) which has only AT&T(cellular provider) as a member is pushing for an update for the ECPA.

Your data is already stored, depending on which provider you have, for at least 6 months after it is sent. This data has been used, in some cases without warrants, to convict criminals for murder and drug trafficking. The government has no desire or intention or requiring software on phones to send data directly to them. It's pointless cellular companies already do that for them.

*For the record At&T is part of the DDP coalition. Verizon execs have testified about how long they store their data. No one is spending too much money to fight off the evil government.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
not trying to get into that

i am not trying to get into all that im just stating costs. you appear to be the one trying to get in governement conspiracies. im not they are infact spending money to ward tracking and maintainiung data bases off not because they care about that because it costs them money. im just talking costs thats all. do i think its too expensive ..yes.. do i hate limited service ..yes. was responding to the person that thought us rooting causes this thats just not the main thing that is causing this its all about the money.
shoot just a couple months ago people told us that we sere such a minority that the carriers and phone makers didnt give a heck(self edited) about us. not i think they do i think its all about the money and they have some advertising or monatary motivation to announce unlocked bootloaders. im betting its not gone be as open as we think but not as locked as the conspiracy from droid world a couple months back.
as i said gonna see alot more programs that willl not run on rooted phones.

to pay lawyers to go to these conferences all that costs money period. not sure what your motivation is here. that was just part of the overall costs along with buying public air waves, expanding network, replacing phones that were only bricked because of trying to modifing it. to store all this data the governement thinks they are entitled to which is another story all together. it all adds up and we are the oones paying for it. if verizon makes a profit after all these costs we are paying for it thats just the facts.
it all adds up.

damn edit city i should of quoted so i coule read it. what they are storing now is nothing compared to what the governement is try to get added. there are already bills out there that state communications must have a back door for easdropping(with a court order of course) yeah right. and those costs can be passed onto the conssumer its stated like that right in the bill. i dont know if it ever went through or was passed or defeated, i really didnt follow it after i read it. but there is contiune interference from the government and the phone carriers are spending money dealing with it. thats all.

Last edited: