HTC To Release First 4G LTE devices AT CES

R

RETG

I read, either that article or another article, that reasoned since LTE is a stronger signal than 3G it will reduce battery consumption. We all know that weak radio signals drain the battery faster than a strong signal.

However, not in the article, but in my mind is the fact that if you are on a LTE phone, and you are on the fringe area, it might drain just as fast, and then you will eventually shift to 3G. But the fringe area for LTE might be farther out than for 3G. (My reasoning, certainly not scientific.:))

Let's face it, it will be years before the existing Verizon 3G network is fully LTE capable, and where I live, I do no expect to see LTE until early 2012. (But, I would much rather live here than in any of the areas that will have LTE by next summerdancedroid.)

As for the HTC phone. I really like HTC phones, good looking, nice features, but terrible reception in fringe areas with the phone. If they can fix that, I would seriously consider one in the future. But the Incredible a friend has, drops phone signals a few miles before my X.

missrachel

Reaction score
Will these brand new 4G capable devices also run on the 3G network? I want a pretty new phone but I'm not sure I want to pay more for 4G...

Reaction score
Whichever phone this is, (merge or Inc-HD,) it's supposed to be just a bigger Dinc, right? so basically an EVO 4G on Verizon... who else thinks this isnt really that big of a deal?

Jester6x

Reaction score
Whichever phone this is, (merge or Inc-HD,) it's supposed to be just a bigger Dinc, right? so basically an EVO 4G on Verizon... who else thinks this isnt really that big of a deal?

I'm with you. I see everyone getting really excited so I did some looking up on the two devices and I just wasn't that impressed unless I am missing something

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

geoff5093

Reaction score
Will these brand new 4G capable devices also run on the 3G network? I want a pretty new phone but I'm not sure I want to pay more for 4G...
I believe all 4G phones will have a premium since they are after all, 4G. They should fall back to 3G though, especially considering that most of the nation does not have 4G.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe all 4G phones will have a premium since they are after all, 4G. They should fall back to 3G though, especially considering that most of the nation does not have 4G.

Yes, at least for the for the next year+ all 4G phones will have 3G because noones network will be full 4G. It's likely to be a VERY long time, if ever before someone does a 4G only phone (just like now, I don't know of any current model phone that only has a 3G radio).

The question is if the providers will 'force' you to purchase a 4G plan just because the phone is 4G (like they now force a data plan on any 'feature' phone). So you might still be forced to go with a 3G only if you don't want to pay. But noone knows at this point.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
unfortunately first doesn't mean the best... i will be getting a 4g lte phone asap... depending on the phone features i might get an htc or something else.. in time

corman324

Reaction score
The question is if the providers will 'force' you to purchase a 4G plan just because the phone is 4G (like they now force a data plan on any 'feature' phone). So you might still be forced to go with a 3G only if you don't want to pay. But noone knows at this point.

precisely what im waiting to hear..im definitely not trying to pay the 4g prices yet. wouldnt be surprised if they did allow you to use 3G with the LTE devices but in turn, somehow limit the amount of things you can actually do with the network, kind of a "ehhh, if you want to be able to do this certain thing (which you could do with your 3g phone) then youre gonna HAVE to upgrade to 4G plan..if you dont like it, thast too damn bad"