HTC to Allow Bootloader Unlocking Via Web Tool for “Developers and Enthusiasts”

barski

Reaction score

You have got to give it up to HTC. They may not have unlocked a bootloader yet, but they sure have been up front with their plans to do so in the very near future – something we can’t say for another big time smartphone maker. In just under three months, they have gone from locking it all down, to realizing that their customers are important, and in some cases want more from their devices.

Starting this month, HTC will start to roll out a software update to a select few devices that will then provide users with the ability to unlock their bootloader. Once the update has been received, HTC will provide a “web tool” that can be used alongside the Android SDK to unlock devices. Obviously, there will be disclaimers and warnings about this process voiding your warranty, but those of us that have been doing this for a few years now, completely understand the risks.

Moving forward, HTC has also admitted that they will ship devices as locked, but that customers can decide for themselves if they want to unlock them. Exactly the way it should be.
Here are the full details:
Since our last update, many of you have asked how the bootloader unlocking process will actually work, and in particular why HTC’s most recently released devices still have a locked bootloader. Rest assured we’re making progress toward our goal to roll out the first software updates in August to support unlocking for the global HTC Sensation, followed soon by the HTC Sensation 4G on T-Mobile and the HTC EVO 3D on Sprint. Because unlocking the bootloader provides extensive control over the device and modifications may cause operation, security and experience issues, new devices will continue to ship locked but will support user-initiated unlocking using a new Web-based tool.
So how will this work? The Web tool, which will launch this month, requires that you register an account with a valid e-mail address and accept legal disclaimers that unlocking may void all or parts of your warranty. Then plug in your phone to a computer with the Android SDK loaded to retrieve a device identifier token, which you can then enter into the Web tool to receive a unique unlock key via e-mail. Finally, apply the key to your device and unlocking will be initiated on your phone.
We’re excited to bring bootloader unlocking to developers and enthusiasts, and we feel this new Web tool will meet your needs and continue to provide customers with the best experience. Thanks to the community for supporting these efforts!
Again, I just want to give it up to HTC for creating this new bootloader policy and procedure. While they may be struggling to update the Thunderbolt to Gingerbread, they clearly understand the importance of having a developer community behind their product. +1 to that.

Via
: Facebook and Droid-Life

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I dont think people are gonna like it. See they think htc is gonna give them the key and let them go crazy. You have to look that htc had to get this passed by the carriers as well and I would no be surprised that when you unlock it that it alerts the carrier and whether the phone break because of you or a bad device your warranty is voided. Personally its understood and I cant complain about that. I know that going in. But Many will be upset about that.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont think people are gonna like it. See they think htc is gonna give them the key and let them go crazy. You have to look that htc had to get this passed by the carriers as well and I would no be surprised that when you unlock it that it alerts the carrier and whether the phone break because of you or a bad device your warranty is voided. Personally its understood and I cant complain about that. I know that going in. But Many will be upset about that.

Bingo...classic case of passing the buck. HTC will say they want everyone to have equal phone rights, VZW will say no, and then all blame falls on the carrier.

It's really not HTCs decision to make to allow unlockable devices on carriers...

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score

Bingo...classic case of passing the buck. HTC will say they want everyone to have equal phone rights, VZW will say no, and then all blame falls on the carrier.

It's really not HTCs decision to make to allow unlockable devices on carriers...

I think it is HTC's decision to unlock the bootloader, since there the ones who set it up and built the phones, not the carriers. I do understand that the carrier could say we wont sell phones with unlockable bootloaders, so pretty much forcing companies to lock them if they want to cell them.

If you ask me its garbage that carriers have so much control over the phones.

jengas kahn

Reaction score
you know that some developer is going to figure out how this works, then create a method where the user doesn't have to report anything to htc.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

I think it is HTC's decision to unlock the bootloader, since there the ones who set it up and built the phones, not the carriers. I do understand that the carrier could say we wont sell phones with unlockable bootloaders, so pretty much forcing companies to lock them if they want to cell them.

If you ask me its garbage that carriers have so much control over the phones.

No I said it's not HTCs decision to allow unlockable devices on the carriers. Of course they are the ones that designs the phones with the unlockable bootloaders but they can't just announce "Verizon customers can have this now"...that's up to Verizon. And that's where they're passing the buck (not that you can blame them)...They tell everyone they want the world to have unlocked bootloaders and then say "...but Verizon won't let us"...makes them look good, makes the carriers look bad

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Carriers do not deserve all the blame, some of it goes to fellow android users who brick and send it back and use crazy amounts of data tethering. Those combined cause the carriers to go on defense.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Carriers do not deserve all the blame, some of it goes to fellow android users who brick and send it back and use crazy amounts of data tethering. Those combined cause the carriers to go on defense.

I don't blame the carriers one bit. I'm just saying that's the perception that HTC will create by doing this. The carriers are correct. There's no incentive for them to provide something like this to their users. HTC knows that, and that's why they're announcing this. It shifts the blame from them to the carrier, and the consumers buy it hook line and sinker.

keynesbuyer

Reaction score
ou have to look that htc had to get this passed by the carriers as well and I would no be surprised that when you unlock it that it alerts the carrier and whether the phone break because of you or a bad device your warranty is voided.