Htc thunderbolt vs casio commando

Discussion in 'Casio G'zOne Commando' started by fatescruelhand, May 14, 2011.

1. fatescruelhand

fatescruelhand New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone!

I will switching from tmobile to verizon next week and I am having trouble deciding between these two phones. I have a motorola cliq right now so either phone is a great upgrade. The Casio commando made me decide to switch to verizon, but a friend of mine told to go thunderbolt because I won't be dissappointed with 4G and upgrades.
    What do you guys suggest?

Sent from my MB200 using DroidForums
  2. EgooEspada

EgooEspada Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know, those are two very different phones. What exactly are you looking for? The Casio Commando is a rugged phone for people who maybe constantly drop their phone or work in 'dangerous' environments. It's something that you can rely on working in any situation needed in. The Thunderbolt is a powerhouse media phone. LTE paired with the 4.3" display, kickstand and speaker is great for media and video streaming as opposed to the Commando. Also the phone is plenty fast. So which ever one fits your needs, go for.
  3. deere_x475guy

deere_x475guy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have now owned both models. At first I thought I was going to be happy with the Commando after returning two Tbolts. A week with the commando left me less than pleased with it. I came from a Droid X and the lag with the Commando just bothered me. The touch screen was laggy to respond on many occasions and browser was much slower than I was use to.

On Friday a friend at work said that an update had been pushed out for the Tbolt and he let me try his for an afternoon. For me the update made all the difference and I returned the Commando for the Tbolt and did the software update before I left the store. I couldn't be happier now..

The Commando is a rugged phone and I am sure it is a better choice for someone in tough environments.
  4. Stelv

Stelv Silver Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Do you want a fast phone or slow phone. Thunderbolt is way better hardware wise. But I dont own either so I am basing this on quadrant speeds. TB also has a skin changer.

Sent from my fascinate
  5. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    .... stay with T-Mobile & get the G2x.
  6. emscapt47

emscapt47 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had both and i can tell you the commando is a good phone its not supper fast or has 4g(wich most places dont have 4g) but i can say this thing is great on battery life...But you think the T-Bolt will work then go for it....Good luck..
  7. crabbybahstid

crabbybahstid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not that I know anything, but I suspect that to some degree the slow response of the touchscreen may be due to the Gorilla Glass. Every once in a while it seems like you have to almost thump it to get it to respond. I've left the original "from the factory" plastic on the screen, as there don't seem to be commercial protectors out there yet. Don't know how much that may contribute. But, the actual execution of commands, switching between apps, etc, seems quite brisk.

As far as comparison to the TB, I spend most of my time where there isn't 4G service, so that part wasn't worth it. I'm not terribly hard on phones, but have occasion to have it in a cycling jersey pocket or a motorcycle tank bag. Being protected against moisture in particular, against vibration/shock, having stout screen glass, and having the buttons require a pretty definite push to wake it up are all positive features for me vs the TB.

Overall, I'm pleased. Battery life remains good; there is plenty to read about the TB battery life being problematic. YMMV. HTH!
  8. gioakjoe

gioakjoe New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Seeing as the commando has a thicker glass then most phones I found that I have to press a little harder then normal but after i got use to it the reponse time is just fine.

on quadrent I get around 1200 after I rooted it. Its plenty fast for me and blaze threw web pages. I run sling box in hd perfect on 3g on this phone. Right now I'm working on trying to get netflix to work on it.
  9. cbreze

cbreze Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I played with the commando in-store for a couple of hours on three separate occassions, 3 diff devices. All seemed fine to me sensitivity wise, not overly sensitive which I really liked. As was said the thicker glass might have something to do with it. I'm coming from a BB bold so the whole phone seems quick and responsive to me relatively speaking. Gotta wait till thursday but I;m pretty pumped as I was very impressed with the test models. I like the decent battery life I'm hearing about, the opposite I hear about the tbolt. This is will be my first android so I'm a real noob, but fast learner. :)
  10. deere_x475guy

deere_x475guy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been an android user for several years now. After having both the tbolt and commando I ended up with the Droid X2. You might want to take a look at this one also.
  11. Stelv

Stelv Silver Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Being a long time Android user I would not recommend the Casio to anyone. The hardware specs are beyond bad. The processor is slower than phones that came out over a year ago. If you are going to spend $199 on a phone might as well get the droid incredible 2, or X2 which have tremendously better specs and interfaces than the Casio.
  12. cbreze

cbreze Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm well aware of the differences regarding the specs between this phone and a tbolt or other. I actually find the casio more suited to what I need and the build quality is one of my needs. It impressed me more than the tbolt which I considered. Again, everyone doesn't need the fastest thing around. Coming from a BB the casio appears super fast to me, so it is deff a step up in speed from BB. The tbolt and the rest seemed kind of flimsy and toy like. I need something that will take some mild abuse and hold up well. If I decide I like it I may get the next incarnation af some 4G droid that has finally got the battery issues worked out hopfully, thanks for your input tho. I tried the casio again at a corp store and find it to be just what I'm looking for. Right now. Looking forward to delivery day. :)
  13. Stelv

Stelv Silver Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Good luck with your new device. It does all boil down to personal preference. I sometimes get too opinionative about these phones.

Sent from my fascinate
  14. turdbogls

turdbogls Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Dont we all....i would personally NEVER even consider the casio...but thats because i am sitting at a computer for 8+ hours a day. now, i would suggest that phone to my brother in a heart beat, since he works construction...as a matter of fact, he is picking his up tomorrow :)
  15. cbreze

cbreze Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Since this is a comparrison discussion, has anyone with the casio had random reboot issues? I see a whole thread and lots of discussion regarding the tbolts random reboot issues. A big negative for the tbolt imo. I'm not seeing any such problem with the casio being discussed, although it has not been out but a month or so.
Search tags for this page

casio commando 4g upgrade

casio commando vs htc thunderbolt

commando 2 vs thunderbolt
commando vs htc thunderbolt
compare commando to thunderbolt
how good is the casio commando

htc commando

htc thunderbolt vs casio commando
htc thunderbolt vs commando
verizon commando vs htc droid