HTC Thunderbolt: Phone Works, Screen is just black (backlight & soft keys do light..)

JiveTurkey1983

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
New here, my Thunderbolt which was working perfectly fine yesterday decided to have some fun at my expense. I am running BAMF Cubed (don't ask me which specific version..)

I could tell my phone was on because the lockscreen button would cause the soft keys & the 2 small backlights underneath to light up. I naturally did battery pull & reboot. The white "HTC" screen shows up, but then goes out to the black screen (almost looks like a TV that doesn't have any signal). The phone is absolutely turning on, I can call it & the ringtone sounds (I obviously can't answer it), but the touch screen is working (I pressed where the "Phone" button is, and then I could hear touch tones when pressing where the buttons are located). I do occasionally hear a brief "double click" where it sounds like my phone is being unlocked/locked in a few seconds.

I did manage to get to the screen by doing "Power" + "Vol" at the same time where it gives me options for Fast Boot, Recovery, HTC Image, etc etc. I'm not sure if I should try one of those options (my co-worker was the one who convinced me to root my phone & try this ROM, it had been working until last night). I won't get to ask him until I get to work, and it's going to be a LONG day until then....

Any ideas would be extremely helpful. The prospect of me having to replace my phone doesn't bother me, but the fact it's rooted does. It seems I could restore my phone if need be, but I don't want to have to go down that road yet.

(Off topic, but my original late 2009 Motorola Droid suffered a similar fate barely a few days after I got my Thunderbolt. The screen would be black but the phone would be working (I could hear system noises/sounds when messing with the screen. In that case, it had happened after it fell from a height of about 3 feet onto a hardwood floor). Crushed me, especially because I had planned on using it as just an at-home Wi-Fi device (that also could play NES/SNES/Genesis games. However, in this situation, the phone suffered ABSOLUTELY no damage/trauma in the few hours between working & not working. It was just sitting on my desk at work not being used).