HTC Thunderbolt In-Stock Feb 21st @ BB

cnmsales

Reaction score
Taken from Phandroid

Best Buy Inventory Screen Shows HTC Thunderbolt In-Stock Feb. 21 | Android Phone Fans

So the HTC Thunderbolt definitely didn’t come out February 14th. The date passed and instead we got a handful of new devices from HTC at Mobile World Congress. That leaves the 24th as the strongest contender for the release date of Verizon’s first 4G LTE handset, right? Well a new inventory screen grab from Best Buy says we might be able to get our hands on it a few days earlier on February 21st. That is the in-stock date listed, and according do our tipsters over at AndroidForums, unless they are specifically told to do otherwise Best Buy stores will sell the phone as soon as they have it.
Even if they wait until a proper launch on the 24th to start peddling the phone, at least we can all rest assured knowing that it is less than a week away at this point. I can’t wait to check out the speeds this thing pulls in over VZW’s LTE network, how about you?

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Should be interesting. Im probably going to get one of these with my 1 year early upgrade so I will be future proof. The deciding factor for me is going to be pricing. If I have to pay more for 4g service then I will wait for something else. If I am grandfathered in under my 3g pricing as it sounds will be how they do it then im going to be all over this bad boy.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Should be interesting. Im probably going to get one of these with my 1 year early upgrade so I will be future proof. The deciding factor for me is going to be pricing. If I have to pay more for 4g service then I will wait for something else. If I am grandfathered in under my 3g pricing as it sounds will be how they do it then im going to be all over this bad boy.

From what i've been seeing, for awhile there will be no price increase for 4g, you don't have to be grandfathered in. Verizon has countless times said that it is going to end up in tiered pricing. So if they do that before their next 4g phone, then there might be alot of people getting the TB just to have unlimited 4g until their contract is up. Will be interesting to see what they do.

want a droid

Reaction score
In stock doesn't necessarily mean release date. They could get the phones in stock the 21st and then release them the 24th as is expected.

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Mmmm, Yeah.... Thats probably why I didnt post that it would be released then. Just trying to bring as much news about this phone to this community. Sorry I bothered.

Detonation

Reaction score
Mmmm, Yeah.... Thats probably why I didnt post that it would be released then. Just trying to bring as much news about this phone to this community. Sorry I bothered.

Serious_content.jpg

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Supposedly if you continue on month-to-month then you continue to be grandfathered in, although I wouldn't bank on that. Technically once the contract ends they have no obligation to you, either.

I'm just wondering if they do bump prices or cap if I can sneak in the backdoor buying retail and activating. Probably not. For that matter, I wonder if activating any new device in the future will end your grandfather status.

Personally, I don't expect any changes to LTE data plans this year, not until it is more widespread and not until they have a solid sub base. They have to show an ROI to Wall Street, they are not going to deter people from signing up because the 3G data plans are a better deal.

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Good point kodiak. I will be pissed if initally i get 3g pricing and then in the middle have to pay for 4g. Im not going to get it until at leats a yr from now. probably longer. Guess ill hold on to my fiances lg ally and add it back if that happens and I cant afford it.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Good point kodiak. I will be pissed if initally i get 3g pricing and then in the middle have to pay for 4g. Im not going to get it until at leats a yr from now. probably longer. Guess ill hold on to my fiances lg ally and add it back if that happens and I cant afford it.

The only reason people are speculating about an increase, really, is because Sprint bumped their 4G $10. But what people ignore is that even with the $10 increase, Sprint was still cheaper than VZW! Also, it now appears Sprint is or will be charging the extra $10 for all data plans, and I believe it's the cost of the phones that is driving that.

So you have Sprint's 4G that is still cheaper than VZW, and AT&T is cheaper (though capped at 2 gigs, which most people use less anyway)...And HSPA+ is really a poor man's 4G, but the speeds are competitive. I just don't see how VZW can bump LTE prices and expect to maintain share, much less grow share.