HTC Thunderbolt Gets Crazy Good deal at Amazon; Only $130 Bucks On-contract

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Apr 22, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Amazon's Wireless Site has the HTC Thunderbolt at the ridiculously low price of $129.99 on-contract. That's a pretty amazing deal on the superphone, and with that pricing, it's really hard to even consider the new Samsung Droid Charge that is coming out soon. In fact, in makes you wonder what sort of brain-damage the marketing folks at Verizon must have when they price the Droid Charge at $299.99 on-contract. Who would ever pay that when they can get the TBolt for less than half the price. Just, strange...

Source: TalkAndroid and Amazon
  2. viceversa

viceversa New Member

Is this only for new verizon customers?
  3. Skull One

Skull One New Member

For a phone that VZW said outsold the iPhone for top spot in the last 30 days, I am starting to question how legit that is if Amazon is already $120 lower than VZW's price.

Normally when a product, that is less than 45 days old, takes a price cut of 40% it means it is failing to meet sales expectations.
  4. funwheeldrive

funwheeldrive New Member

Maybe they are getting ready for all the upcoming dual core phones.
  5. Alastrionia

Alastrionia Sourcery Themer / Designr Theme Developer Premium Member

I just double checked on this
    Only for NEW customers

trying to use my upgrade it puts the price @ $199

so back to waiting I go (two phones to upgrade, gotta save where I can)
  6. TheBawse

TheBawse New Member

Dear Skull One,

Thanks for buying an iPhone. I hope you are enjoying this device that is more magical than unicorn farts.

Sincerely Mine,

Steve Jobs

P.S. I know where you are right now
  7. awdwhip

awdwhip Guest

Damn you Amazon! I just bought this T-bolt one week ago for 250!
  8. Skull One

Skull One New Member

*sigh*

That is the problem with ignorance.

The Android OS sends the data in real time vs Apple who only sends it every 12 hours. And currently Android is sampling more often.

I know this because I own a Droid A855, which I still use every day, have worked with 3 ROM developers as a consultant, have 120 hours of documented research on overclocking (my thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/47871-overclocking-101-a.html which is my contribution to the Android community), voltage and kernel development.

Oh and for fun, I am currently ramping up to develop gaming software for iOS, Android, WP7 and the Xbox 360.

So yes, I do own an iPhone and a Droid. Yes I do use them both daily. But one is used as a phone while I await the other one to finishes going thru its growing pains before I buy another one.

I am curious besides snarky comments, what have you done to help the Android community?
  9. Bengal21

Bengal21 Member

Put your droid weiners away boys. What does the size of your cellphone weiner have to do with the price of phones?
  10. honeyandroid

honeyandroid New Member

it's really version one not Spam product?

So cheap! can't believe it and can you make sure the quality is no problem and really one?
  11. Natey2

Natey2 Active Member

$299 to 199 to 149/129 to 99 to 49/29 to free (with a 2 year contract).

That's how the price drops on almost all new phones I've seen over time.
    Not iPhones though.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app
  12. sb1831

sb1831 Member

I've never paid attention to amazon for phones as I typically buy outright or previously I'd do one year contracts. Do they always drop this quickly on there?
  13. Skull One

Skull One New Member

That price drop happens over a years time frame due to diminished interest in the phone. The Thunderbolts price drop is interesting because VZW still has it at launch prices while online retailers are already discounting them drastically inside of 35 days of release.

The iPhones price point is static due to continued interest and sales. Apple has no incentive to drop the price. That is what separates a great product from a good product.
  14. undroid

undroid New Member

Skull One, it has nothing to do with great vs. good product. It has everything to do with what's popular & mainstream.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  15. Skull One

Skull One New Member

You just made my point using different words. Great products are both popular and mainstream over very long periods of time. In the cell phone world that means anything over 10 month old that maintains it's price is a great product.
  16. markietas

markietas New Member

By that logic Justin Bieber would be the greatest musical genius of all time.
  17. techarlj

techarlj New Member

By that logic Justin Bieber would be the greatest musical genius of all time.[/QUOTE]

Wait, he isn't? So the iPhone isn't the greatest phone ever? Blasphemy...

I'll admit, the iPhone sells great, Apple's fan boys are loyal and have no problem paying a premium for hardware that is at times 2 years behind the learning curve and they drive sales. It's as simple as that, and all the teenage girls who leak their nude shots all over the web... To each their own.
  18. Skull One

Skull One New Member

And history hasn't written its chapter on his full body of works or his life earnings.

A prime example of this would be Micheal Jackson. His first 2 years as a singer didn't even begin to show what his talent level was nor what kind of fans that would be waiting for him after the release of the Thriller album.

If you want to make very short sighted arguments, so be it. But I am not foolish enough to be blinded by fanboyism. Android is still in its early teen years. It is going thru large growing pains at presents. Ones that I hope will be solved in the next two years. And it doesn't help that LTE/4G was pushed out the door by VZW without truly being a single chip integrated solution with all of its power issues solved.

Retailers cutting the price on a flagship product this fast is troubling. Is it be caused by over production and low demands? Is bad press or some other factor given retailers a bad feeling and they want to dump their inventory before it becomes worthless?

Another line of thought has also occurred to me. Is VZW unwilling to budge on their price point so Motorola has asked online retailers to run sales to mitigate other market issues like a White iPhone or another Android based phone? That line of thought would be very interesting to follow.
  19. Skull One

Skull One New Member

WOW no editing here. Replace Motorola with HTC. I think of Motorola first due to my A855.
  20. techarlj

techarlj New Member

I know, Skull, you have paid your dues. But realize you are part of the sliver of iPhone users that even know what jailbreaking is or the potential if it.
    The reason android phones drop in price is competition. Apple monopolizes iPhone sales and don't have to compete with anyone.
    Possibly the ThunderBolt dropped in price because of this. If I have a hundred phones on my shelf that I'm selling fit the same price Verizon is, people will go to their service provider for the same product and price because I can walk into a Verizon store, I've never seen an Amazon retail location. So if I can drop the price and make something, folk gotta do what you can to dive prices.
Search tags for this page

htc thunderbolt for sale no contract

htc thunderbolt for sale without contract
htc thunderbolt price without contract

used htc thunderbolt for sale no contract