HTC Thunderbolt Bootloader Locked?

yamaha83

Reaction score
was thinking about getting one on monday. but after the battery issues and now root issues, im holing out for the next "droid"

yamaha83

Reaction score
was thinking about getting one on monday. but after the battery issues and now root issues, im holing out for the next "droid"

hmmm... its amazing how fast you can change your mind... lol

HTC Thunderbolt Bootloader Unlocked, ClockworkMod Recovery Loaded, ROM Floodgates Opened | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police

AND... guess i should read all the posts before my XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxx posts replies... lol dancedroid:icon_ banana:dancedroid:icon_evil::):droideris::greendroid::blackberry::heart::blackdroid::motdroidhoriz::iphone::icon_ banana:dancedroiddancedroid

Last edited by a moderator:

skennelly

Reaction score
So wait, all this talk about how HTC is open and Thunderbolt is going to be the next most dev supported phone is false?

No, because the bootloader isn't encrypted, and thus, just like the G2, permroot had been achieved dancedroid

The droid x's bootloader is locked down and it has permroot. I don't think root has much to do with the bootloader. With a locked down bootloader, you can't flash cutom kernels and therfore cannot flash a truely custom rom.

cujo6801

Reaction score
So wait, all this talk about how HTC is open and Thunderbolt is going to be the next most dev supported phone is false?

No, because the bootloader isn't encrypted, and thus, just like the G2, permroot had been achieved dancedroid

The droid x's bootloader is locked down and it has permroot. I don't think root has much to do with the bootloader. With a locked down bootloader, you can't flash cutom kernels and therfore cannot flash a truely custom rom.
android police 3-19-11 bootloader unlocked.....

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

You are correct. Getting root and unlocking the bootloader are two completely different things. And no, you cannot have a true custom rom if you can't change the kernel. that being said, people are reporting that the tb's bootloader has in fact been unlocked so dancedroiddancedroid

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
I came in expecting to type "wow...what a kick in the teeth" but apparently everything is under control. Still doesn't matter much to me being as I still have 12 more.the to go before my upgrade lol. Yeah right like I will actually wait that long. Come end of summer I will most likely just pay full for a new phone. Here's to hoping that this bootloader crap has come to some sort of happy resolution by then. Hell, if Motorola uses the Xoom as an example of how their future releases will be I will be happier than a blind man at a fish market (pm me if you don't get it lol).

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Yeah I have until early December for my upgrade... but I think I'll continue to be happy with my D1 until then. I'll be looking at the new gen this coming fall, and by then I'll be making a significant leap. Of course, I'll be looking out for something that has been completely unlocked and rooted, like this one here.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
It reminds me of some games that require a disc for playing and a copy won't work. The ex file is looking for something on the disc (presumably an error) that a copy won't have. Changing the ex file so it won't look solved that.

Maybe that signature can be copied on to a ROM. I'm sure it'll be solved.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The potential with roms is interesting, although all I really care about is underclocking to save battery, and overclocking (which might not be necessary on these newer phones).

I'll keep an eye on any pricing changes and probably go with the Bionic, which although probably locked should still get root which is sufficient for what I need.

I'd pull the trigger on the Thunderbolt, but with LTE I plan to watch some video and so lack of HDMI out is a deal breaker for me.

rctp10

Reaction score
I was thinking about buying this phone......NOT NOW!!! FAILLLLL:icon_evil:

DaWolf85

Reaction score

You are correct. Getting root and unlocking the bootloader are two completely different things. And no, you cannot have a true custom rom if you can't change the kernel. that being said, people are reporting that the tb's bootloader has in fact been unlocked so dancedroiddancedroid
yeah, I got confused. Doesn't matter now, does it dancedroid

petjakob

Reaction score
well i'm really glad we should be getting roms soon. big fail by htc to not get it up on 2.3 build for launch. htc sense = fail as well.. lots of crapware on it also. i wasn't planning to upgrade to tbolt due to these underwhelming items but because i;'ve found there's 4g reaching where i'd need it for tethering i can't resist or hold out for a 4g mifi...