HTC Thunderbolt 4G Mobile Hotspot

HTCTBDroid

Reaction score
I have been searching google for an answer but i have seen many different things with no definite answer. Is the "Mobile Hotspot" the phone comes with installed free since we have a unlimited data plan? I saw on some sites it said if you registered it before May 15th it was free, and some saying it is $20 a month ontop of our data package through verizon. I wanted to use it today when we all go on the lake/boat but didn't want any surprises when my bill comes, it is already expensive enough for me, my sister and grandmother on one bill. Thanks everybody, hope we get some answers.

Also, if i rooted my phone would it then be free? That is what i was told by a friend, but i do not know how much truth there is in that statement. My previous phone (Motorola Droid, the original) i just downloaded PDAnet and it was free. Only downfall was i needed the chord plugging the phone into the computer.

Sorry for the decently long first post! dancedroid

-Robert

ziggy484

Reaction score
I have been searching google for an answer but i have seen many different things with no definite answer. Is the "Mobile Hotspot" the phone comes with installed free since we have a unlimited data plan? I saw on some sites it said if you registered it before May 15th it was free, and some saying it is $20 a month ontop of our data package through verizon. I wanted to use it today when we all go on the lake/boat but didn't want any surprises when my bill comes, it is already expensive enough for me, my sister and grandmother on one bill. Thanks everybody, hope we get some answers.

Also, if i rooted my phone would it then be free? That is what i was told by a friend, but i do not know how much truth there is in that statement. My previous phone (Motorola Droid, the original) i just downloaded PDAnet and it was free. Only downfall was i needed the chord plugging the phone into the computer.

Sorry for the decently long first post! dancedroid

-Robert

I believe the hotspot is free until 6/15, call verizon, they will tell you for sure. And if you root, there are wireless tether apps that will do the same thing as the hotspot, some of those apps are free. I don't think rooting will get you the htc hotspot for free though

OP
H

HTCTBDroid

Reaction score
Oh alrighty, I will have to give them a call to make sure. I guess it is time to look for a free one or even a one time paid app. I don't want something with extra monthly charges.

Also, whats the deal with the front camera, How do i use it on skype.

johnd09

Reaction score
The front facing camera doesnt currently work with Skype. Probably something coming with gingerbread.

Sent from my Thunderbolt!!

ATLfalconsATL2

Reaction score

wreels

Reaction score
Oh alrighty, I will have to give them a call to make sure. I guess it is time to look for a free one or even a one time paid app. I don't want something with extra monthly charges.

Also, whats the deal with the front camera, How do i use it on skype.

Hi all, First time poster; been lurking for months...

I will need tethering next month after the promotion ends; when I go on vacation so I wanted to know if I turn on the feature after the promotion is over, if I can just turn it on when I need it and turn it off when I don't need it. I asked this question at a Verizon store but I wanted confirmation from another Verizon source. It turns out that both Verizon sources told me that I can turn the mobile hotspot feature on/off when I want and not get any cancelation fees since it's just a feature and not a contract. See my live chat below. So this is good for people who only need this feature for situations like vacations or rare business trips (where they can't find free wifi), etc... Most of this community may already know this but this was good 'news' to me! (I'm a Smartphone/Android newb. TBolt, Froyo 2.2 )

Verizon Live Chat Transcript:

Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative to assist you with your order. Thank you for your patience.
You are now chatting with 'Mike'
Mike: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. I am available to answer your questions and help you navigate through our site more efficiently. How may I assist you today?
You: Hello Mike, I'm trying get an answer for tethering... If I turn on tethering on my phone.
Mike: I would be more than happy to review tethering with you today!
You: Will I be locked into tethering every month or can I turn it on for a month then turn it off (cancel the feature) when I don't need it?
Mike: You can add and remove the feature when you would like.
You: I have an HTC Thunderbolt. Next month the promotion will be over for the Mobile Hotspot. So If I turn it on next month I will be charged $20 for the month. Then at the end of the month I can just cancel it and not be charge more than the initial $20?
Mike: Yes, they would.
You: yes they would charge me an extra $20?
Mike: It would be pro-rated.
You: ok I'm a little confused... If I start the service on 7/1 and cancel on 7/30; what will my bill be?
Mike: It would be the amount of time you were in service, and the early termination fees.
You: oh so then there is a tethering contract of sorts... (early termination fees) Tells me that there is a lenth of time Verizon is expecting me to have tethering turned on once I subscribe.
Mike: I apologize, no there is no termination fee for tethering that is simply a feature.
You: ok nice! that really helps me. I appreciate your time!
Mike: You're welcome!

xashaffer

Reaction score
If you root then you can tether wirelessly for free, but not with the provided tether app. Go here: http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list If you stick with stock root (as in no custom ROMs like a Gingerbread ROM) then you can use version 2.0.7 but for Gingerbread ROMs you have to download the new test version of WiFi Tether at the top of the page. I just downloaded it earlier today to test on my TB with Liquid Gingersense 1.0 and it works perfectly. Just make sure in the settings of the app to turn on Routing Fix for HTC devices

EDIT: And yes you do need to download from that site. Verizon had Google block this guys tethering apps from the Market a few weeks ago.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

voiceofreason

Reaction score
New thunderbolt user, getting caught tethering?

Okay - I'm looking at tethering and I have no ethical qualms about violating my contract for free tethering. (If I could of re-enabled intel's 482 DX2 66 processor, I would of done that too. . and I overclocked with no qualms).

So with me lacking any ethical issue with tethering. . .my only concern is getting caught by Verizon?

Is it all rumors? Do you get caught if you keep it under the line. I read about people using tethering to torrent/etc. . .and I'm like (no wonder they shut it down). I'm just going to use it with an Ipad 2 and my wife's iphone. . .keeping it low. Just it isn't worth 20 bucks a month to use it like that.

(verizon idea - standard plans come with 1gb of tethering. . .)