HTC Still Making a Smartwatch; Believes Other Manufacturers Still Didn't Get it Right

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-glowing-green-logo.png

HTC’s US President Jason Mackenzie recently stated in a Re/code interview, that HTC didn't cancel their smartwatch as has been previously reported. In reality, the company is working on one, but it was delayed. Mackenzie even called out the other smartwatch OEMs claiming that none of them have it right yet. Here are a couple of quotes,

“We had originally planned to have a wearable launch in this time frame. It ended up just not being ready.”

Mackenzie also added,

“When we come to market with our product we want to make sure the product has a strong point of view and there is a really compelling reason to strap it on your wrist. We honestly don’t think anyone has gotten it right.”

That's a very bold statement from HTC. What do you guys think? Is there some truth to his assertion?

Source: Phandroid

Last edited:

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
No they didn't get it right and neither will htc. Till the watch will be self powered, waterproof to 200m and indestructible face(read sapphire), it will all be a gimmick.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Self powered... um yea... maybe by 2035.
Agree on Waterproof.
Don't totally agree on Indestructible. "Normal" watches aren't. Be as strong as a normal watch.. yea.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
HTC builds awesome products. If they say the others didn't get it right, they have something different up their sleeves.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'd agree with HTC, but with one caveat. Apple got the smartwatch right

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'd agree with HTC, but with one caveat. Apple got the smartwatch right

Eh, I have to disagree with you there, even many Apple fans are looking at it like uhhh, no. The only thing I will give Apple is the ease at which you can customize the bands.

The problem with Android Wear for me was the software as it was still in its growing stages. By 2nd generation it should be where it is at. I'm waiting until the price drops before I jump back in.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I haven't personally used any of these watches (aside from a few minutes with the 360 in BB) but going by looks & style, I like the Apple watch too. The smartwatch is probably not a device I'll get for awhile so my opinion is irrelevant, but you gotta hand it to Apple, they do know how to design a good lookin product.

tap'n on my S5

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Still loving my Moto 360, it does exactly what I expected from it and even a few things I didn't. I do wish it was water resist to 200m. That would be amazing. Past that, I'm very happy.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think a Moto 360 with 200m water resist and its own 3G phone service capabilities would be the holy grail of smartwatches. (Well... a holographic projection from the watch would be nice too as long as we are dreaming, but let's be realistic....lol!)