HTC Slams Galaxy S4 Event and Device; Calls it "Next Big Flop"

skennelly

Reaction score
Like HTC has room to talk

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

Yeah, no kidding. HTC has been making crap for a while now, starting with the thunderbolt. The rezound and DNA could have been good sellers, but they don't spend any money on advertising.

The S3 still shows up in lists of top 5 Android devices almost a year after its release and will most likely continue to do do. I can't remember the last HTC device on a list like that and when they are there it is not for long. Then they finally come out with a great flagship device and it's already been bested by Samsung prior to hitting the stores! Just wait, in 6 months every other manufacturer will have a phone on the market that tops HTC's One. And with HTC claiming that this is their big phone for the year, they are going to be in trouble.

WestOkid

Reaction score
HTC has identity issues and more. They don't know how to market to and attract average users. They don't know how to support the enthusiasts and power users. If they did, they wouldn't abandon SD cards and removable batteries in favor of aluminum and blink feed. Even so, their most egregious crime is slow updates. The brand new HTC one isn't even running the latest version of Android. So I ask, who is their audience?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction score
The HTC one looks nice and all but I'd have a hard time buying anymore HTC devices after all the problems I've had with my old thunderbolt and 2 rezounds. All 3 of them had very fragile and easy to cracking screens. Not to mention problems with the charging ports.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Playful banter is all I see. Kind of like with LGs little hit on Samsung.

In all honesty though what they're doing is no different then what Samsung did with Apple. Look where it got them.

I believe one of the reasons for the massive success of the GS2/3 was the marketing Samsung did using Apple. All Samsung did was, well Apple bash for the ads. Now everyone knows the Galaxy brand, and it's no longer a "DROID". HTC and LG are just trying to get the One and Optimus name out using the same advertising tactics that Samsung did.

WestOkid

Reaction score
Playful banter is all I see. Kind of like with LGs little hit on Samsung.

In all honesty though what they're doing is no different then what Samsung did with Apple. Look where it got them.

I believe one of the reasons for the massive success of the GS2/3 was the marketing Samsung did using Apple. All Samsung did was, well Apple bash for the ads. Now everyone knows the Galaxy brand, and it's no longer a "DROID". HTC and LG are just trying to get the One and Optimus name out using the same advertising tactics that Samsung did.

I agree, but but Samsung was going against the top dog, Apple. LG and HTC should be doing the same thing. Instead, they are focusing on number Samsung, who is number 2. There are a few things wrong with this. Samsung went after Apple, this was ambitious and bold. In the process they increased Android's market share and made Apple venerable. With the aesthetics and build quality of the HTC 1, HTC was positioned to go after number 1 (Apple), instead they go after number 2. If the Android makers poke wholes in each other how will this help the ecosystem they share? What HTC is doing is short sited IMO.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction score
Samsung was bold to go after Apple. But they pushed Apple down the chart to #3 and they are number #1 Samsung is doing what they said. Android is more popular then IOS Apples time has come and now gone Steve jobs made apple what they are. This new guy can't live up any where near close to jobs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

52brandon

Reaction score
To me, this seems like an act of desperation. Let your device speak for itself, don't go completely slamming the competition just for the sake of slamming the competition. If you're going to go the "attack" route, at least make sure your device has better specs or an extremely attractive feature to back your claims.

Looking at the spec comparisons, these phones appear to be extremely similar, aside from the One's more durable body, which seems like it's all they've got to go on. Sounds like HTC is just taking the cowardly way out to promote their device, given that Samsung's marketing strategy is already firmly in place and HTC is thus forced to start a few steps (at least) behind.
because that's exactly what it is...

it makes the company looks desperate
it makes the company look immature
it did exactly what they wanted... wait, what? ...that's right. While I do think the One will be an impressive device, it may be too little, too late for HTC. They're pulling out all the stops and doing what they can to get us to look at it. Mission accomplished. We looked at it again

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
So lets see, the s4 has a bigger battery, bigger screen, better processor, is lighter and thinner, and most of all is not an htc? Slamming the s4 on behalf of htc is an act of desperation.

I just hope samsung doesn't turn into apple. Im already annoyed with their "special" connectors, instead of using what everyone else does so its interchangeable.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Shrewd move...they got to cherry-pick all that Samsung marketing.

The fact you guys all noticed, much less commenting in a thread, proves what a smart marketing move it was.

And I'm sure some Sammie fanboys will talk about how it further alienated them...not that they would have bought HTC in the first place, being Sammie fanboys and all.

skennelly

Reaction score
^Samsung is the most innovative company regarding mobile phones, so obviously anyone who buys Sammie is a fanboy. :confused: I guess it's alright for folks to bash Apple and BlackBerry, but HTC is off limits.

The average, uninformed consumer won't even realize the comment was made, which is really the only people that would look at HTC as an option.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
^Samsung is the most innovative company regarding mobile phones,

That's the marketing at work, that's the same thing Apple fanboys said for years. What you say may have been true for a year or two, but the cell phone market is pretty much commoditized now and that was my point. The differences between these phones is very marginal. And all the useless crap Samsung "innovated" into this phone supposedly barely works.

Truthfully the only thing Samsung has done to stand-out among Android is its innovation in branding and marketing. They do make great phones, but they aren't anything special vs. the other premium devices...they stand out because of the advertising.

Last edited:

hotice

Reaction score
busting on plastic?

The look of the HTC One is nice but I'm less cautious of plastic than metal. Metal interferes with radios. The antennes really need to be well designed for an metal case not to interfere. I hope HTC did that on the One.

I think plastic is a great material for a phone.

I'm not sure how they think the GS4 could possibly be a flop. The the iPhones were terrible devices lacking basic hardware and software features but none was a flop. The GS4 doesn't look bad to me. Unlike an iPhone I would consider it. I'd have a hard time buying a Droid DNA with only 16GB of storage and no MicroSD slot. At least the One has a larger battery and can be bought with more internal storage. It's too bad it's not coming to Verizon:( I think I like the size of the DNA more than the One too.

hotice

Reaction score
Samsung is the most innovative?!?!? I saw it above but I'm not sure where that came from.

We have Moto to thank for pushing battery sizes up. We have HTC to thank for pushing phone cameras and audio forward. We have Samsung to thank for pushing 2GB of RAM in phones and bringing split screen operation for some apps to phones - I hope base Android (Key Lime Pie?) will feature an implementation of this sometime soon. While Samsung has contributed I definitely wouldn't say they're the most innovative. I think they have the best marketing in the Android camp and the Galaxy S3 was a great product. They had a lot of bad products before hand missing things like notification lights, and having a bad track record with GPS. Don't give Samsung too much credit.