HTC Slams Galaxy S4 Event and Device; Calls it "Next Big Flop"

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-slams-sgs4-tweet.png

Although HTC has always prided itself on being "quietly brilliant," you wouldn't know it by their new tactic. HTC' took to Twitter and other media to slam Samsung directly for both their event and their device. As you can see in the Tweet pictured above, HTC's Chief Marketing Officer Benjamin Ho called the SGS4 "The Next Big Flop." He also called it more of the same" and claimed the SGS4 "pales in comparison to the all-aluminium unibody HTC One." Heres the full quote,

"With a continuation of a plastic body, and a larger screen being the most obvious physical change, Samsung's new Galaxy pales in comparison to the all-aluminum unibody HTC One.

This is more of the same. HTC remains the best option for those people looking for the best technology wrapped in premium design. Our customers want something different from the mainstream, who appear to be the target for the Galaxy.

Our customers want original cutting-edge technology, mouth-watering design and a premium feel from their mobiles, which is why we created the HTC One." - Ben Ho, Chief Marketing Officer, HTC

HTC President Jason MacKenzie got in on the trolling as well; he had this to say, "I went from laughing to actually feeling embarrassed at some of the acting. Watching the presentation, it looks like they invested a lot in marketing instead of innovation." It wasn't just a little "smack-talking" that HTC engaged in either. HTC reps dressed in HTC One shirts outside the Radio City Music Hall event last night. They handed out snacks, hot chocolate and HTC One promo materials.

While this new tactic smacks of desperation, we can't help but applaud HTC for finally getting the balls to develop a hardcore marketing campaign. Furthermore, perhaps they should listen to their own statements. Mr. MacKenzie claims Samsung invested more in marketing than innovation. While that is debatable, perhaps HTC should do more of that themselves.

Maybe that's what they are doing here, and we must say... it's about time.

Source: AllThingsD & HTC Twitter

BLeClair12

Reaction score
To me, this seems like an act of desperation. Let your device speak for itself, don't go completely slamming the competition just for the sake of slamming the competition. If you're going to go the "attack" route, at least make sure your device has better specs or an extremely attractive feature to back your claims.

Looking at the spec comparisons, these phones appear to be extremely similar, aside from the One's more durable body, which seems like it's all they've got to go on. Sounds like HTC is just taking the cowardly way out to promote their device, given that Samsung's marketing strategy is already firmly in place and HTC is thus forced to start a few steps (at least) behind.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Ouch! It's sarcasm and trash talk supposed to be a bit funny?

Wow, them grapes must be real sour.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Ouch! Isn't sarcasm and trash talk supposed to be a bit funny?

Wow, them grapes must be real sour.<br><br>

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
When HTC decides to add Micro SD Card support and a removable battery "and stop with those small non removable batteries", that is when they will see the consumers go flocking back to their devices, those two reasons is why me and many others have left HTC, plus they are slow as snails in regards to their software updates. What they did at the S4 unveiling was real bad marketing if you ask me, I have always supported HTC with the purchase of the Incredible then the Rezound, but they lost this customer "and his wallet" when they decided not to listen to what we want. If you payed attention to the S4 presentation, their mobile division CEO said that they have listened to their customers world wide and implemented features that their customers want in their new smartphone, Samsung could care less what the Telcos want, they do what their consumers want, and then the Telcos have no choice but to abide, it's a two way street. HTC has been too tied down to the Telcos wishes, which in turn has hurt them really bad, their financials do not lie. Their CEO should just fire the whole marketing team, it is ruining the company.

Last edited:

huskur

Reaction score
What has HTC done recently? They have no room to criticize. They are the ones on the verge of failure NOT Samsung!

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
When HTC decides to add Micro SD Card support and a removable battery "and stop with those small non removable batteries", that is when they will see the consumers go flocking back to their devices, those two reasons is why me and many others have left HTC, plus they are slow as snails in regards to their software updates. What they did at the S4 unveiling was real bad marketing if you ask me, I have always supported HTC with the purchase of the Incredible then the Rezound, but they lost this customer "and his wallet" when they decided not to listen to what we want.

^^ This, exactly why the Rezound was the last HTC device in this house...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the S4 once again has nearly top-of-line tech across the board.

If you want to talk about big flops, maybe look at your flagship device that made the bone-headed move to nix the SD card and took the huge risk of a 4mp camera.

wvdroidman

Reaction score
htc lost my vote with the thunderbolt debacle. Look how long until they released ice cream sandwich for the thunderbolt?