1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

HTC Slams Galaxy S4 Event and Device; Calls it "Next Big Flop"

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Mar 15, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Although HTC has always prided itself on being "quietly brilliant," you wouldn't know it by their new tactic. HTC' took to Twitter and other media to slam Samsung directly for both their event and their device. As you can see in the Tweet pictured above, HTC's Chief Marketing Officer Benjamin Ho called the SGS4 "The Next Big Flop." He also called it more of the same" and claimed the SGS4 "pales in comparison to the all-aluminium unibody HTC One." Heres the full quote,

HTC President Jason MacKenzie got in on the trolling as well; he had this to say, "I went from laughing to actually feeling embarrassed at some of the acting. Watching the presentation, it looks like they invested a lot in marketing instead of innovation." It wasn't just a little "smack-talking" that HTC engaged in either. HTC reps dressed in HTC One shirts outside the Radio City Music Hall event last night. They handed out snacks, hot chocolate and HTC One promo materials.

While this new tactic smacks of desperation, we can't help but applaud HTC for finally getting the balls to develop a hardcore marketing campaign. Furthermore, perhaps they should listen to their own statements. Mr. MacKenzie claims Samsung invested more in marketing than innovation. While that is debatable, perhaps HTC should do more of that themselves.

Maybe that's what they are doing here, and we must say... it's about time.

Source: AllThingsD & HTC Twitter
  2. BLeClair12

BLeClair12 New Member

To me, this seems like an act of desperation. Let your device speak for itself, don't go completely slamming the competition just for the sake of slamming the competition. If you're going to go the "attack" route, at least make sure your device has better specs or an extremely attractive feature to back your claims.

Looking at the spec comparisons, these phones appear to be extremely similar, aside from the One's more durable body, which seems like it's all they've got to go on. Sounds like HTC is just taking the cowardly way out to promote their device, given that Samsung's marketing strategy is already firmly in place and HTC is thus forced to start a few steps (at least) behind.
  3. djspy

djspy Member

Samsung is copying Apple on these "more of the same" upgrades too? Shameless!
  4. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Well-Known Member

Ouch! It's sarcasm and trash talk supposed to be a bit funny?

Wow, them grapes must be real sour.
  5. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Well-Known Member

Ouch! Isn't sarcasm and trash talk supposed to be a bit funny?

Wow, them grapes must be real sour.<br><br>
  6. cybertec69

cybertec69 Well-Known Member

When HTC decides to add Micro SD Card support and a removable battery "and stop with those small non removable batteries", that is when they will see the consumers go flocking back to their devices, those two reasons is why me and many others have left HTC, plus they are slow as snails in regards to their software updates. What they did at the S4 unveiling was real bad marketing if you ask me, I have always supported HTC with the purchase of the Incredible then the Rezound, but they lost this customer "and his wallet" when they decided not to listen to what we want. If you payed attention to the S4 presentation, their mobile division CEO said that they have listened to their customers world wide and implemented features that their customers want in their new smartphone, Samsung could care less what the Telcos want, they do what their consumers want, and then the Telcos have no choice but to abide, it's a two way street. HTC has been too tied down to the Telcos wishes, which in turn has hurt them really bad, their financials do not lie. Their CEO should just fire the whole marketing team, it is ruining the company.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  7. huskur

huskur New Member

What has HTC done recently? They have no room to criticize. They are the ones on the verge of failure NOT Samsung!
  8. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

^^ This, exactly why the Rezound was the last HTC device in this house...
  9. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

Watch Samsung buy out HTC.
  10. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

Nah, it'd be more fun to watch them destroy themselves from within.
  11. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the S4 once again has nearly top-of-line tech across the board.

If you want to talk about big flops, maybe look at your flagship device that made the bone-headed move to nix the SD card and took the huge risk of a 4mp camera.
  12. droidbionicmaster

droidbionicmaster New Member

Like HTC has room to talk

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums
  13. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

14. Narsil

Narsil Active Member

HTC...

[​IMG]
  15. wvdroidman

wvdroidman New Member

htc lost my vote with the thunderbolt debacle. Look how long until they released ice cream sandwich for the thunderbolt?
  16. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

Yeah, no kidding. HTC has been making crap for a while now, starting with the thunderbolt. The rezound and DNA could have been good sellers, but they don't spend any money on advertising.

The S3 still shows up in lists of top 5 Android devices almost a year after its release and will most likely continue to do do. I can't remember the last HTC device on a list like that and when they are there it is not for long. Then they finally come out with a great flagship device and it's already been bested by Samsung prior to hitting the stores! Just wait, in 6 months every other manufacturer will have a phone on the market that tops HTC's One. And with HTC claiming that this is their big phone for the year, they are going to be in trouble.
  17. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Stay classy HTC....stay classy.
  18. WestOkid

WestOkid Active Member

HTC has identity issues and more. They don't know how to market to and attract average users. They don't know how to support the enthusiasts and power users. If they did, they wouldn't abandon SD cards and removable batteries in favor of aluminum and blink feed. Even so, their most egregious crime is slow updates. The brand new HTC one isn't even running the latest version of Android. So I ask, who is their audience?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  19. indywrenchin76

indywrenchin76 New Member

The HTC one looks nice and all but I'd have a hard time buying anymore HTC devices after all the problems I've had with my old thunderbolt and 2 rezounds. All 3 of them had very fragile and easy to cracking screens. Not to mention problems with the charging ports.
  20. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Playful banter is all I see. Kind of like with LGs little hit on Samsung.

In all honesty though what they're doing is no different then what Samsung did with Apple. Look where it got them.

I believe one of the reasons for the massive success of the GS2/3 was the marketing Samsung did using Apple. All Samsung did was, well Apple bash for the ads. Now everyone knows the Galaxy brand, and it's no longer a "DROID". HTC and LG are just trying to get the One and Optimus name out using the same advertising tactics that Samsung did.
Search tags for this page
razr hd google wallet

samsung galaxy s4 hit or flop