HTC Shocks with Their Own VR Headset: the HTC Vive

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-vibe.JPG

HTC teams up with Valve software to bring us something we weren't expecting from the company... a VR headset called the HTC Vive. They have apparently been developing it in secret for sometime because they claim they will deliver a consumer version before the end of the year.

The only real details that were revealed besides the typical marketing hyperbole was the following:

The Vive features two 1200 x 1080 displays in front of each eye at a blazing 90 frames per second. A headphone jack sits on the side of the Developer Edition so that you can plug in your favorite earplugs or headphones. A gyrosensor, accelerometer, and laser position sensor are all contained within the device as well. ~ BGR
We are intrigued here at HQ and will keep you guys informed as more is revealed.

[Editor's Note: Updated with a few more details.]

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Are Virtual Headsets really needed? I guess it is nice to bring to fruition what people envisioned in the 80s and 90s but I do not see how vr would be useful in this day and age. Yeah you can create apps for showing off say a house, car, or a museum but will there be enough useful development for the market to want to continue to support it?

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
I haven't watched the announcement or any of the conference, but HTC's VR headset was designed with Valve for PC gaming (among other things). It's supposed to be a direct competitor with the Oculus Rift, rather than Samsung VR. I wouldn't be surprised to hear more about it at GDC when Valve talks about their Steam machines. IMO, this is a big win for HTC.

Valve s VR headset is called the Vive and it s made by HTC The Verge

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
HTC Re Vive

^ if you are wanting to stay up to date with HTC VR news of when you may be able to demo one in your city.