HTC sensation or Samsung Galaxy S II

tsitalon1

Reaction score
If the Thunderbolt is not your thing, which of these do you think would be better for the rooter?

HTC has proven to release kernel code, what about Samsung? I know nothing of samsung phones except that the facinate wasn't well recieved in stock form.

Relative to Verizon only!!!!

EgooEspada

Reaction score
I'd honestly go for the Samsung Galaxy S II. I'd expect both of them to be rootable.

Sent from my ADR6400L

matt2783

Reaction score
You know the Sensation in launching on T-mobile exclusively, right?

Jeyman

Reaction score
Id go with Moto or HTC, people for the most part have told me bad things about Samsung phones.

I loved my Moto droid, but following that it seems like Moto has locked things down. Seeing my TB has opened my eyes to HTC, and really I may stick with them if moto keeps going down this path. Ill vote HTC just because of that.

Reaction score
I voted the SG2, but really whoever has the better specs by the time my upgrade somes, htc or Samsung. Def not going back to moto.

JMU_Droid

Reaction score
I haven't owned a Samsung phone, and I'm well aware of the Fascinate debacle. However, I have an outrageous hard-on for the S2. I've read how much Samsung is investing in this phone in order to dominate the market, so I have faith that they've learned from their past mistakes.

C_Wiz

Reaction score
Thunderbolt vs TMobile G2X

Speaking of TMobile phones, I just stopped into TMobile and did a side by side with the Thunderbolt and the LG G2X at TMobile. The G2X screen makes the Thunderbolt screen look like a dog. I have been on the fence about returning the Thunderbolt, because of the difficulty viewing it outdoors even at Max Brightness, the camera image quality is poor in my view (very noisy and clipped highlights), and the requirement for the extened battery (which I have). As stated I did not realize how much better a screen can and should look on $250 phone until I did a side by side viewing photos on NY Times.com. I also compared Web browsing download times (visually), no stop watch, side by side between Verizon's 4G LTE via the Thunderbolt and TMobile's "4G" HSDPA+ via the LG G2X and the speeds were comparable in terms of how quickly pages on NY Times took to load on each. The Thunderbolt was a hair faster sometimes, but the G2X was plenty quick. You Tube would be a better more challenging test that I'll have to do next time. Still the screen on the G2X just blows the Thunderbolt's screen away. Even at max brightness the Thunderbolt's screen is sub par in this league.

So I am very interested in seeing what Samsung has to offer. I am expecting the screen to be much better than the Thunderbolts. Also the Super AMOLED Plus screen supposedly gets much better battery mileage. On the Thunderbolt the screen is the primary drain on the battery even at 50% brightness.

Still the Thunderbolt is a pretty solidly built phone as is the LG G2X although both share a less than robust back (particularly the extended battery back on the Thunderbolt which flexes on the sides, not mention the degree to which it protrudes). The Samsungs have been flyweight hummingbirds. I prefer a more solid, metal feeling frame. Other areas in the Thunderbolt's favor based on the specs I have seen are the Thunderbolt's 750MB RAM and 8GB of internal storage vs the Samsung's 512MB RAM and 2GB of internal storage. I agree if Verizon is going to price this Samsung Charge at $300 they are going to make buying this phone a bitter pill to swallow. Any news on the battery specs on the Samsung?

BachinPhx

Reaction score
Speaking of TMobile phones, I just stopped into TMobile and did a side by side with the Thunderbolt and the LG G2X at TMobile. The G2X screen makes the Thunderbolt screen look like a dog. I have been on the fence about returning the Thunderbolt, because of the difficulty viewing it outdoors even at Max Brightness, the camera image quality is poor in my view (very noisy and clipped highlights), and the requirement for the extened battery (which I have). As stated I did not realize how much better a screen can and should look on $250 phone until I did a side by side viewing photos on NY Times.com. I also compared Web browsing download times (visually), no stop watch, side by side between Verizon's 4G LTE via the Thunderbolt and TMobile's "4G" HSDPA+ via the LG G2X and the speeds were comparable in terms of how quickly pages on NY Times took to load on each. The Thunderbolt was a hair faster sometimes, but the G2X was plenty quick. You Tube would be a better more challenging test that I'll have to do next time. Still the screen on the G2X just blows the Thunderbolt's screen away. Even at max brightness the Thunderbolt's screen is sub par in this league.

So I am very interested in seeing what Samsung has to offer. I am expecting the screen to be much better than the Thunderbolts. Also the Super AMOLED Plus screen supposedly gets much better battery mileage. On the Thunderbolt the screen is the primary drain on the battery even at 50% brightness.

Still the Thunderbolt is a pretty solidly built phone as is the LG G2X although both share a less than robust back (particularly the extended battery back on the Thunderbolt which flexes on the sides, not mention the degree to which it protrudes). The Samsungs have been flyweight hummingbirds. I prefer a more solid, metal feeling frame. Other areas in the Thunderbolt's favor based on the specs I have seen are the Thunderbolt's 750MB RAM and 8GB of internal storage vs the Samsung's 512MB RAM and 2GB of internal storage. I agree if Verizon is going to price this Samsung Charge at $300 they are going to make buying this phone a bitter pill to swallow. Any news on the battery specs on the Samsung?

Nice comparison between the two devices. Not bad for your first post. Welcome! dancedroid

C_Wiz

Reaction score
RE: Newcomer

Thanks BeachinPhx. I thought I might get grilled for going slightly off topic, but I have to say I wish the G2X were coming to Verizon at $200. I've got one week left to decide.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
i decided if it wont come to me ill go to it.

Thanks BeachinPhx. I thought I might get grilled for going slightly off topic, but I have to say I wish the G2X were coming to Verizon at $200. I've got one week left to decide.

nice review. I dont hear any word of the g2x going to Verizon. and with nothing coming 4g dual core probably until sept. 299 for the charge(what will they charge for real new tech phones). i am paying the early term fee(190) and have switched to t mobile and the g2x. I can tell you this is an awesome phone. only lacking thing is 512 of ram. but i have Regina,go,stock,adw all installed and switch between them. mainly now for testing and pushing the phone before the 2 weeks is up. and no lag whatsever no redraws. just the launchers them selfs building data bases like regina does some stuff but you only know because it is along the top telling you. not sure why it says htc rooting friendly or whatever on the poll they are the ones that are doing things with their bootloaders. while samsung has come out and stated unless they are forced they will not.(who knows if thats true) but thats what they said. I agree the s-2 has the specs for sure. and if it turns out to be developer friendly might have to sell the g2x and move to it which im sure will be on tmobile before verizon. i had come from att so verizon was great service wise for me. but that was about all i like about verizon not liking the direction they are heading. already have 4g on tmobile here wont have on verizon for another year at least i know tmobile isnt greatest coverage every whre but has good service here.. the g2x has already been rooted and recovery went up on rommanger today and it was only released 4 days ago , already videos and pics of cm7 on it(not complete of course) already someone working on porting sense 3 to it. (well see if thats successful :) ) . the sensation , g2-2, evo 3d .. are all great phones. just that the gx2 is in front of me now while only a date of june 8th has been mentioned for the sensation and noone knows if thats a release date or what. and if you dont care about 4g motorola has some awesome devices coming this summer. its gonna be a year where you just have to be happy with your decision because there are going to be too many options- i see at least 7 phones by summer and probably 10 by end of the year that will be super phones. and thats not including the thunderbolt which is a fine phone in its own right from what people say . and what i saw at the store. I may have stayed verizon and got it if it wasnt for the no hdmi a option that was a must for me.

Only thing that im unhappy with is that droid forums has become a home for me and its pretty much verizon. so while ill hang around and try to contiune to help people out , it is a bummer that my g2x life wont be here and android.net is just not very active so xda is really all ive found , and its just not the homey atmosphere that we have here.

so on your pole id have to go galaxy s-2 but would have to see that samsung supports it here in the states as they have been to overseas but not here. and htc needs to show a little more on openness front and care for battery life.
to have a extended battery with cover available with release of the phone reminds me of apple and their bumpers we know we are selling a flawed product so lets put out something to fix it and charge them again. Just something that makes me not quite trust them.

sorry about the short post :)

BachinPhx

Reaction score

nice review. I dont hear any word of the g2x going to Verizon. and with nothing coming 4g dual core probably until sept. 299 for the charge(what will they charge for real new tech phones). i am paying the early term fee(190) and have switched to t mobile and the g2x. I can tell you this is an awesome phone. only lacking thing is 512 of ram. but i have Regina,go,stock,adw all installed and switch between them. mainly now for testing and pushing the phone before the 2 weeks is up. and no lag whatsever no redraws. just the launchers them selfs building data bases like regina does some stuff but you only know because it is along the top telling you. not sure why it says htc rooting friendly or whatever on the poll they are the ones that are doing things with their bootloaders. while samsung has come out and stated unless they are forced they will not.(who knows if thats true) but thats what they said. I agree the s-2 has the specs for sure. and if it turns out to be developer friendly might have to sell the g2x and move to it which im sure will be on tmobile before verizon. i had come from att so verizon was great service wise for me. but that was about all i like about verizon not liking the direction they are heading. already have 4g on tmobile here wont have on verizon for another year at least i know tmobile isnt greatest coverage every whre but has good service here.. the g2x has already been rooted and recovery went up on rommanger today and it was only released 4 days ago , already videos and pics of cm7 on it(not complete of course) already someone working on porting sense 3 to it. (well see if thats successful :) ) . the sensation , g2-2, evo 3d .. are all great phones. just that the gx2 is in front of me now while only a date of june 8th has been mentioned for the sensation and noone knows if thats a release date or what. and if you dont care about 4g motorola has some awesome devices coming this summer. its gonna be a year where you just have to be happy with your decision because there are going to be too many options- i see at least 7 phones by summer and probably 10 by end of the year that will be super phones. and thats not including the thunderbolt which is a fine phone in its own right from what people say . and what i saw at the store. I may have stayed verizon and got it if it wasnt for the no hdmi a option that was a must for me.

Only thing that im unhappy with is that droid forums has become a home for me and its pretty much verizon. so while ill hang around and try to contiune to help people out , it is a bummer that my g2x life wont be here and android.net is just not very active so xda is really all ive found , and its just not the homey atmosphere that we have here.

so on your pole id have to go galaxy s-2 but would have to see that samsung supports it here in the states as they have been to overseas but not here. and htc needs to show a little more on openness front and care for battery life.
to have a extended battery with cover available with release of the phone reminds me of apple and their bumpers we know we are selling a flawed product so lets put out something to fix it and charge them again. Just something that makes me not quite trust them.

sorry about the short post :)

So Eagle, you bailed on VZW? Wow! I wish I could go to TMo as they seem to get some really nice hardware. That being said, their service here in Phx is less than stellar so I am stuck choosing what Big Red has to offer. Fortunately for me, my NE2 isn't up until August so I am sure that there will be some good choices (hopefully Moto stops these "delays") and I can make a good move based on some good phones. Really hoping that the Galaxy S2 hits the states but I am not optimistic. One can dream, can't they?

Best of luck to you with your new phone. Keep us posted. Why did you not mention LP Pro when referring to your replacement screens? I use it and think it's the best option out there. Unless of course I want to drop $15 for SPB Shell. Looks great but just not dishing out that kind of dough.

Peace, Out! dancedroid

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
lp

you know i dumped launcer pro a long time ago and just never went back. i have used adw but since i figured this phone would run anything i have been trying them out. go launher is really nice and they just keep adding stuff. the SBP thing i have an old beta i downloaded somewhre i had never checked out maybe ill look at that but im not paying 15 dollars for a launcher , unless somthing ground breaking comes out. Yeah tmobile is good here so i had the option. right now i just dropped the droid down to everything as low as i could will cancel and pay the early term fee after i have decided 100% i am keeping this phone. than i can port my number over too. right now i just my number forwarding to the new number.