HTC Rezound will not have Gorilla Glass

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just got a confirmation from HTC, saying they are using another brand:blink: "cost cutting measures" "just like their weak battery" that is also shatter proof, that means it is not :hail:Gorilla and it will be inferior:mad:.

305rev305

Reaction score
I really thought about getting this phone because I like Sense the most from the rest but after my Thunderbolt I won't try another HTC phone until they figure out their battery issues and data signal. Right now it looks like razr for me... No ICS from the start but will get it very soon. The built quality is crazy and now that google owns Motorola updates should come quick. I hate blur but I use ADW anyways.

Last edited:
R

RETG

Why do people say Google owns Motorola? The stockholders have not even voted on the sale and won't till November 17. And after that, if the vote is YES, there is still the problem with the DOJ saying they are doing an extreme in-depth review of the sale. If all goes ok with the sharefholders voting yes, and the DOJ saying ok, the earliest that Google will own Motorola Mobility is 1st quarter 2012.

Nothing is in stone...yet.

But back on subject. NO Gorilla glass? That really sucks for us who tend to punish our phones. Damn Razr looks better everyday.

dxgeek35

Reaction score
Just cause its not branded "gorilla glass" doesn't mean its not good! Just like if its not branded "bose" doesn't mean they are ****ty audio, and for the audio people on here you know what im talking about because bose are not the best bit everyone else thinks they are! So maybe its almost the same thing just not branded that way

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
cybertec69

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just cause its not branded "gorilla glass" doesn't mean its not good! Just like if its not branded "bose" doesn't mean they are ****ty audio, and for the audio people on here you know what im talking about because bose are not the best bit everyone else thinks they are! So maybe its almost the same thing just not branded that way

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
If it does not say Gorilla Glass, it is not Gorilla Glass, which means it will be inferior, they are cost cutting at the wrong place, the screen of the phone is what you see 99% of the time, and seeing small hairline scratches on the screen do to regular daily use and then be Stuck with it for one year and ten months is not a pleasant thought, if my Incredible has Gorilla Glass there is no reason for them to skimp on glass and put on an inferior product.
If HTC is paying any attention to its competition, then they would realize that your product having Gorilla Glass is a big selling point, if it wasn't, their competition would not mention it, but since they do with the rest of the specs of their smartphones, it means it is, and people want Gorilla Glass " not some wanna be competitors glass that you can not even mention their name", the funny thing is she could not even tell me what this inferior company is that they are using.
After she told me about the cost measures HTC was using "over paying for beats audio", so now they can not feasably implement Corning glass into their new smart phones, my response wad pretty much letting her know that spending ludicrous money on a gimmick like beats audio was not the way to go, as with most gimmicks, once people get wind of it, it will be doomed for failure, and that the money could have been spend into creating better tech. We should be going forward here, not backwards.
Her response to my second email was that she was aware of my disappointment and was going to forward my emails to the proper department.

The bottom line $ is, if you want my hard earned $ in today lousy economy, you have to do better than this beats audio gimmick " some software gimmick to boost the base", really beats audio is your selling point " people who know good audio know that over emphasizing the base does not make good audio, good audio is in equally good mid low and high frequency", plus with a battery that might be able to play 3 hours worth of music on their new smartphone.

I have a music player, its an ipod touch that can play my music all day long, hell it can play music over WiFi for up to 12 hours. Plus I can connect it to my iBasso D6 portable amp with my JH16 Pro IEM's and I am in audio bliss:)

People don't get me wrong here, I love my Incredible and was so looking forward to this new HTC smartphone, but after going to Verizon today and checking out the new MOTO Razr, now that is one Sharp, sexy looking phone, that is build to last, water repellent coating for internal and external components, thin and light, feels great in your hand, has Gorilla Glass and a sweet looking Amoled screen like my Incredible, did I mention it looks great " not like a brick, hint hint". Videos and pics do not do the Razr justice, yes I am extremely disappointed in HTC.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

Last edited:

vzwuser76

Reaction score
If it does not say Gorilla Glass, it is not Gorilla Glass, which means it will be inferior, they are cost cutting at the wrong place, the screen of the phone is what you see 99% of the time, and seeing small hairline scratches on the screen do to regular daily use and then be Stuck with it for one year and ten months is not a pleasant thought, if my Incredible has Gorilla Glass there is no reason for them to skimp on glass and put on an inferior product.
If HTC is paying any attention to its competition, then they would realize that your product having Gorilla Glass is a big selling point, if it wasn't, their competition would not mention it, but since they do with the rest of the specs of their smartphones, it means it is, and people want Gorilla Glass " not some wanna be competitors glass that you can not even mention their name", the funny thing is she could not even tell me what this inferior company is that they are using.
After she told me about the cost measures HTC was using "over paying for beats audio", so now they can not feasably implement Corning glass into their new smart phones, my response wad pretty much letting her know that spending ludicrous money on a gimmick like beats audio was not the way to go, as with most gimmicks, once people get wind of it, it will be doomed for failure, and that the money could have been spend into creating better tech. We should be going forward here, not backwards.
Her response to my second email was that she was aware of my disappointment and was going to forward my emails to the proper department.

The bottom line $ is, if you want my hard earned $ in today lousy economy, you have to do better than this beats audio gimmick " some software gimmick to boost the base", really beats audio is your selling point " people who know good audio know that over emphasizing the base does not make good audio, good audio is in equally good mid low and high frequency", plus with a battery that might be able to play 3 hours worth of music on their new smartphone.

I have a music player, its an ipod touch that can play my music all day long, hell it can play music over WiFi for up to 12 hours. Plus I can connect it to my iBasso D6 portable amp with my JH16 Pro IEM's and I am in audio bliss:)

People don't get me wrong here, I love my Incredible and was so looking forward to this new HTC smartphone, but after going to Verizon today and checking out the new MOTO Razr, now that is one Sharp, sexy looking phone, that is build to last, water repellent coating for internal and external components, thin and light, feels great in your hand, has Gorilla Glass and a sweet looking Amoled screen like my Incredible, did I mention it looks great " not like a brick, hint hint". Videos and pics do not do the Razr justice, yes I am extremely disappointed in HTC.

Some people would say that if it doesn't have iphone on it then it's inferior. But that doesn't mean it true. What Corning has done with Gorilla Glass is similar to what Apple has done with the iphone. They have an extremely durable glass with a name that implies that. It is a good scratch resistant glass, and they've marketed the hell out of it. Does that mean that they are the absolute greatest? Maybe, maybe not. There are many times when you purchase something, you're paying for the name. Look at Monster Cable. There are people that swear they make the greatest cables, but there are many other lesser known companies who make cables that are 10 times as good as MC's. Until we actually use the device or someone tests the glass on the Rezound, we have no proof that it is worse.

Btw, I still have my launch day Incredible with amoled screen and a stennheill screen protector since day 2, and it has scratches on it (on the screen as well as the protector). Gorilla Glass is not shatter or scratch proof, it's shatter and scratch resistant. That just means that it will not be scratched or shattered by most things, but say sand (which is glass before it's heated) can scratch Gorilla Glass just like it can anything else.

While having a known element like GG is nice, that doesn't mean that they have no good competition.

Last edited:
OP
cybertec69

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have my Incredible since day one " one of the first to order when it launched", no screen protector since and my screen still looks as new as when it came out of the box, and I am a terazzo floor installer, grinder, finnisher, and my hands are rough as sandpaper, and so is my work environment, so my phone has seen and been around a rough environment with no side effects.

Last edited:

gallows

Reaction score
If it does not say Gorilla Glass, it is not Gorilla Glass, which means it will be inferior

This is 100 percent untrue....

There is more than one way to skin a cat. A different manufacturer can have a totally different process that produces the same results with glass that has the same Mohs Scale or Rockwell (whichever you prefer) hardness rating.

By your logic, my "kleenex" and "scotch tape" that are not made by Kleenex or Scotch is less superior.

And it doesn't really matter because my "gorilla glass" devices still scratched over time while my non "gorilla glass" devices look no worse. "gorilla" is a brand name used by the manufacturer Corning... plain and simple.

A good example. The galaxy nexus doesn't have "gorilla glass" but lookie here.

[video=youtube;uyLC61JxsJQ]http://youtu.be/uyLC61JxsJQ[/video]

Last edited:

gallows

Reaction score
I really thought about getting this phone because I like Sense the most from the rest but after my Thunderbolt I won't try another HTC phone until they figure out their battery issues and data signal. Right now it looks like razr for me... No ICS from the start but will get it very soon. The built quality is crazy and now that google owns Motorola updates should come quick. I hate blur but I use ADW anyways.

They figured it out with the rezound. I get about 16 hours on regular battery and over 2 days with the extended. And I'm one of those people that can't stop poking at their smartphone screen.

Still though, I wouldn't trust what HTC says when they say something will get the latest build of android "soon". Look what happened with the thunderbolt. It got delayed and they still couldnt get it done right and had to pull the update because of a voicemail notification issue. Fortunately, I was rooted and running Bamf rom and they had already fixed the bug... and verizon doesn't want us rooting our phones because they say it'll cause too many issues.... lulz.

Anyway, the only other phone I'd suggest if not the rezound would be the upcoming nexus. But i'm not a big fan of Samsungs quality when it comes to phones. They make damn good TVs and refrigerators tho... I digress. The nexus is still a step backwards when it comes to hardware vs the rezound. Beats gimmick aside this phone has been an enjoyment for me. And I've got a lot of experience going from droid1 to incredible to bionic to thunderbolt to rezound.

While HTC managed to stay true to their tiny stock battery to profit from extended upgrades, they did manage to fix some of the battery issues. Its no where near as bad as the thunderbolt that's for sure. I got maybe 20 hours on the extended battery if I was lucky. And its the same size as the rezound's.

kparks

Reaction score
They figured it out with the rezound. I get about 16 hours on regular battery and over 2 days with the extended. And I'm one of those people that can't stop poking at their smartphone screen.

Still though, I wouldn't trust what HTC says when they say something will get the latest build of android "soon". Look what happened with the thunderbolt. It got delayed and they still couldnt get it done right and had to pull the update because of a voicemail notification issue. Fortunately, I was rooted and running Bamf rom and they had already fixed the bug... and verizon doesn't want us rooting our phones because they say it'll cause too many issues.... lulz.

Anyway, the only other phone I'd suggest if not the rezound would be the upcoming nexus. But i'm not a big fan of Samsungs quality when it comes to phones. They make damn good TVs and refrigerators tho... I digress. The nexus is still a step backwards when it comes to hardware vs the rezound. Beats gimmick aside this phone has been an enjoyment for me. And I've got a lot of experience going from droid1 to incredible to bionic to thunderbolt to rezound.

While HTC managed to stay true to their tiny stock battery to profit from extended upgrades, they did manage to fix some of the battery issues. Its no where near as bad as the thunderbolt that's for sure. I got maybe 20 hours on the extended battery if I was lucky. And its the same size as the rezound's.

Why wouldn't u trust HTC??? If they say something is coming than it is they were on schedule but it had a problem they pulled and fixed it...... If only I got that droid charge I would of got that gbread update sooner...o wait they havent even got it yet.... HTC is right up there with moto in device support... Everyone else is far far behind. I agree with everything else u stated tho :)
Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

kparks

Reaction score

So the beats gimmick is not up to motos BS kevlar and water coating gimmick..LMAO... Both phones perform the same. Hands down the rezound screen is better and the camera is wayyyyy better.

But Personally I think motos call quality was just slightly better but not much difference. And personally I think the razr looks childish and flashy and its to wide to hold comfortably but that's my personal opinion..

gallows

Reaction score
Why wouldn't u trust HTC??? If they say something is coming than it is they were on schedule but it had a problem they pulled and fixed it...... If only I got that droid charge I would of got that gbread update sooner...o wait they havent even got it yet.... HTC is right up there with moto in device support... Everyone else is far far behind. I agree with everything else u stated tho :)

Well now... they weren't on schedule with it. Originally it was april... then june... then august... then september rolled around and the borked it up. they had leaked the rom before hand and everyone already knew about the voicemail issue. But they didn't care or listen and released it anway. But I guess now we are off topic. So I'll just leave it at that.

gallows

Reaction score
So the beats gimmick is not up to motos BS kevlar and water coating gimmick..LMAO... Both phones perform the same. Hands down the rezound screen is better and the camera is wayyyyy better.

You're absolutely right. The razr has the highest ppi for amoled displays according to wirefly. But rezound the highest ppi for lcds but it still blows away the motorola.

View attachment 42912

superamoled displays are more energy efficient and they make skin tone on movies look like orange jersey shore. I guess that saturation is a personal preference but I can still see the gaps between the pixels on them. Its almost as bad as the thunderbolt was.

Last edited:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Bionic and Rezound that I go back and forth using. The Rezound's screen is literally becoming addicting - it's so nice to look at.

kparks

Reaction score
Well now... they weren't on schedule with it. Originally it was april... then june... then august... then september rolled around and the borked it up. they had leaked the rom before hand and everyone already knew about the voicemail issue. But they didn't care or listen and released it anway. But I guess now we are off topic. So I'll just leave it at that.
All I heard was Q3 then it was changed to the end of Q3 it came out on time.. then was pulled and a month late I never heard any certain month all that was speculation I'm pretty sure... Could be mistaken tho...