HTC Rezound, Amon Ra and custom ROMs...

Phunk1996

Reaction score
Hello! I've had a droid since the OG one and recently purchased a Rezound. I'm tired of the battery life being crappy and all the bloat that goes along with the phone. I've been reading these forums trying to figure everything out, but have run into a sticking point.

I'm struggling on how to load a new ROM...

I've read a lot of different posts in the forums and have tried to figure out how to do it with Amon Ra, but have yet to see something clear enough for me to understand it. Can someone point me to a step by step guide on how to flash an ICS ROM onto the Rezound or give me advice on the best way to find it?

Thank you!

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello! I've had a droid since the OG one and recently purchased a Rezound. I'm tired of the battery life being crappy and all the bloat that goes along with the phone. I've been reading these forums trying to figure everything out, but have run into a sticking point.

I'm struggling on how to load a new ROM...

I've read a lot of different posts in the forums and have tried to figure out how to do it with Amon Ra, but have yet to see something clear enough for me to understand it. Can someone point me to a step by step guide on how to flash an ICS ROM onto the Rezound or give me advice on the best way to find it?

Thank you!

***This write up assumes you understand ADB/Fastboot***

Ok, so you have unlocked, and installed Amon-Ra from the sound of it. Here are your next steps.

Choose a ROM(Scott's CleanROM, RezROM, Ineffabillis, etc...)

Once you have your ROM downloaded, open the zip file. Look under the kernel directory for PH98IMG.zip. Extract that to a temporary directory(like c:\temp)

Unzip PH98IMG.zip and you should get a file called boot.img...hang on to it.

Remove the kernel directory from your zip. Having this directory will attempt to directly flash your kernel after the ROM installs and it can cause issues...this is why we're removing it.

Now transfer the ROM zip file to your phone. I personally use ADB (adb push <zip file> /sdcard) but mount the sdcard to your PC, email it..however you want to get the ROM there. Do not transfer boot.img(referenced above)

Reboot into recovery. Again, you can use ADB(adb reboot recovery), an app from the market like quickboot, or simply power down, then power up holding the volume down key then select recovery from the menu.

Once in Amon-Ra backup your ROM(This step is optional but recommended), using the default options

Next go under the Wipe menu and choose wipe data and wipe cache(separate options)

Now you're ready to flash your ROM. Choose the option "Flash zip menu"

If you've dropped the ROM zip on your internal SD card choose that option, if it's on your external, choose that one. Then highlight your ROM, click power and it will install.

Now choose the " developer " option from the main menu and reboot into HBOOT(or power off and power on holding the volume down key)

Once in HBOOT, grab your PC, plug in and flash the kernel using fastboot. The command is "fastboot flash boot boot.img" Boot.img refers to the file you extracted earlier. Fastboot is found in the android SDK you installed before unlocking.

Now you're all installed. Either choose the reboot menu on screen or issue the command "fastboot reboot" and your ROM is installed.

Got questions..??Ask.

babar1003

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an HTC Evo 4G with Amon Ra and s-on so I'm guessing I use the same method to flash a custom rom. One question though, what if I want to use a different kernel? Do I just use the boot.img file of that kernel instead of the one that comes with the rom? Also what if the rom requires the installation of google apps zip file, we just follow the rom installation with that? Thank you for your help

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an HTC Evo 4G with Amon Ra and s-on so I'm guessing I use the same method to flash a custom rom. One question though, what if I want to use a different kernel? Do I just use the boot.img file of that kernel instead of the one that comes with the rom? Also what if the rom requires the installation of google apps zip file, we just follow the rom installation with that? Thank you for your help

I'm not 100% sure how it works on the Evo, but if it works the same as the Rezound...Flash your ROM, flash G-apps, reboot into HBOOT then flash your kernel in fastboot.

darthmauldds

Reaction score
And thanks again!

Your answers are direct and helpful. I struggled with CWM. Somewhere I saw you state it's got issues, try Amon-Ra. NilsP recommended it too. Thank you for taking the time to teach new users.