HTC Pokes Fun at Samsung; New Ad Suggests 'Buyers Remorse Coming to S5 Owners'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
HTC-Galaxy-S5-remorse.jpg

Samsung is renown for making fun of other manufacturers, from Apple, to Blackberry, to Microsoft and others. Now it seems they are on the receiving end of a little tongue-wagging from HTC. The Taiwanese company just released the above teaser pic which obviously pokes jabs at Samsung's new flagship unveiling. HTC suggests that Galaxy S5 owners are in for some "buyers remorse." This seems rather presumptuous (and pessimistic) of them, considering that the Galaxy S5 won't go on sale until April. It seems that both companies' devices might launch at about the same time.

Of course, it's also arrogant of them to make such a wild boast, but it appears they are truly done with their old "quietly brilliant" campaign strategy forever.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I think its accurate. My wife has buyers remorse from her S4. I know the specs of that phone and I agree. I have no doubt the S5 will be faster since its hardware is similar to my Note 3's hardware.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's about time HTC steps up to a place with some good marketing!

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I don't know how to politely say this (and not stir up a hornet's nest of trouble), but there is no comparing the S4 and the One. At least for someone who prefers a more unibody, metal design and tilts away from the highly-saturated OLED display. Admittedly, the S4 wins on expandable storage and replaceable battery, but I'd would easily give the overall head-to-head to HTC. The S4 is a competent workhorse -- the one is beautiful and dependable. To each his own I suppose.

Anyway, I think it's a fair poke.

Now the One vs. the Moto X might be a bit more difficult to call.

-Matt

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I think that HTC will be sold by the end of 2014. I think the only company that can give Samsung Juggernaut competition is LG.

Bara65

Reaction score
Seems quite unprofessional for HTC. Maybe showing they are desperate.
I know some people like unibody metal and speaker, but they have nothing to write home about either if leaked spec of M8 is accurate.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I think the only company that can give Samsung Juggernaut competition is LG.

They day they made the G2 I'd have agreed with you, but they're backing off of stealing the show by refusing to really push marketing for their devices. It's hard putting it on the line as a relatively small company but sales were awful on a device that is frequently at the very top of reviews across the internet. Marketing saturation is awful for the G2, not one person in public has identified it since I had it, but a couple hundred at least have asked me what it is, especially after seeing the pictures it takes.

That's pitiful.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Seems quite unprofessional for HTC. Maybe showing they are desperate.
I know some people like unibody metal and speaker, but they have nothing to write home about either if leaked spec of M8 is accurate.

I'd restate your comment to something like, "Given the absolute hemorrhaging of money and leadership from the company, I'm sure they're feeling pretty desperate." They have almost nothing left to lose as far as the tech pundits are concerned -- you can sometimes even find obituaries written here.

Your point about the M8 being a copycat of the One is also well-taken. As a One owner, all I can say is: first, thank goodness I got mine late last year and it won't feel outdated in under 6 months of ownership (got pretty burned when I bought the Droid 3), and second, it really is a wonderful phone, and if people who'd never thought of owning one get their paws on the M8, I'm sure many will love it. Of course that's a lot of ifs.

-Matt

bigdad63

Reaction score
HTC Boomsound : awesome
nonremovable battery : sucks
Ginormous bezels : suck
Onscreen buttons : suck(until they make them like Pie Controls or Wave Launcher)
Metal : beautiful, BUT usually only rich people and idiots don't use cases so it's irrelevant for most

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Arrogance? Desperation?
:facepalm:
To each his own, I guess.
But isn't CONFIDENCE a very attractive trait in the opposite sex? It is. So what's wrong with a company teasing another and acting a bit confident?
Nothing I say. Love these type of ads.
Keep 'em coming.