HTC One to Get Android 4.3 and Sense 5 in US Within the month..

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I just got my blue one at BB - $3.99 after my tax minus my $50 promotional rebate. I'm really happy I jumped on signing up for that in February during the 10 day sign-up period. I hope the blue one doesn't look too girly for an old guy, but it is my favorite color. It's turned off and charging now.

rherron

Reaction score
I just got my blue one at BB - $3.99 after my tax minus my $50 promotional rebate. I'm really happy I jumped on signing up for that in February during the 10 day sign-up period. I hope the blue one doesn't look too girly for an old guy, but it is my favorite color. It's turned off and charging now.

Girly? I think not. I think this is the best looking Droid since the first Droid Razr. Build quality on the One is second to none. Regardless of the price, I would have gotten this phone over SG4. Been waiting for months for VZW to get with it.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
Does anyone know what version BestBuy is selling in Blue? Either 32 or 64gig? It doesnt specify on the website.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I got the white and gray Otterbox Commuter case at BB. It's $39.99 at the store, but if you buy it from the web site to pick up at the store in an hour then it's just $29.99. Now I hide most of the nice blue, but I feel better about using it.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
The blue one I got this morning is 32GB, with 24.61GB free after adding some of my apps.

Thx. I'm still on the fence between this and the Droid Maxx / LG G2. Battery life is no.1 on my list, but don't want to pass up $50 deal. Still have a couple of days to decide.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Thx. I'm still on the fence between this and the Droid Maxx / LG G2. Battery life is no.1 on my list, but don't want to pass up $50 deal. Still have a couple of days to decide.

I think that either one of those will have better battery life than the HTC One. I'd think at least 20% more life, based on test reviews that I've read. I strongly considered the G2, but I really liked the One when I played with it at the store and compared it to the G2 and the Droid Mini.

GreenAcid

Reaction score
The 50 dollar deal is with new or existing right? And do they charge the 30 still for activation? At best buy

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Unless I don't understand it correctly, there is one big difference to me between BB and Amazon. I believe that BB is their own seller, while Amazon, Radio Shack, Walmart, etc sell through Wirefly/Simplexity. If you remove a phone bought through Wirefly/Simplexity off your line within 180 days then you can be charged $400 without your permission. I don't believe that there is this restriction when bought at Verizon or BB. Someone please correct me if this is incorrect. This is important to me in case I drop my phone and have to send it to the manufacturer for repair and put my Inc2 on my line until I get it back. I think I could be charged the $400 for temporarily removing the HTC One while it is being repaired.

As far as the $30 activation or upgrade fee, I was not charged the $30 upgrade fee at BB, but I think it will be added to my next Verizon bill.

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I believe that BB is their own seller, while Amazon, Radio Shack, Walmart, etc sell through Wirefly/Simplexity. If you remove a phone bought through Wirefly/Simplexity off your line within 180 days then you can be charged $400 without your permission. I don't believe that there is this restriction when bought at Verizon or BB. Someone please correct me if this is incorrect.
Absolutely 100% correct. Which is why I'm using an upgrade on a feature-phone line to purchase the One, and then immediately flipping the phone over to my unlimited line. Can do it within minutes of purchase at BB, but only after 180 days at Amazon.

TOF, I don't remember if you followed up -- Android 4.2.2 on the Blue, right?

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What does what mean? Getting an upgrade to 4.3 or buying at BB vs Amazon or something else?
I'm going to guess he didn't get the "flip" comment, so let me break it down:

Users on VZW with unlimited data, who (a) don't want to spend full price on a new phone and (b) don't want to lose their unlimited data can use a loophole...

(1) Start with another line on the same account -- ideally, a feature-phone line without data
(2) Assuming that line has an upgrade, use it to buy the new smartphone you want
(3) The line will be updated with a variety of new charges including a data plan (e.g., 2GB/month at $30)

wait a few seconds, then

(4) Move the smartphone OFF of that line -> it now reverts back to the feature-phone line with it's original plan
(5) Take your old smartphone off the unlimited line, and move/activate the new phone on it

I've talked to a few VZW corporate store reps who are happy to do this and my local BB is good with it too. Pretty impressive, as long as it lasts. The only downside is that you then lock the line you upgraded into a 2-year contract, but in my case that's a feature-phone line I'm keeping/using anyway, and it only costs ~$10 a month.

BUT THERE IS "ANOTHER" WAY. LOL I mentioned this in another post, but apparently VZW is quietly offering the Max plan WITHOUT the Edge plan which means: unlimited users also have the option to move into a 6GB/month plan for $30 (the Max plan) which presumably includes purchasing new phones on an upgrade at the subsidized price.

Sorry this all so far off topic. I hope it answers the "what does this mean?" question!

-Matt