HTC One Sequel (M8) Specs Potentially Confirmed in New Leak

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-one-side-close-up.jpg

The HTC One 2 (aka the M8 - or whatever it will be called), has seen several rumors over the past few months. The newest one comes from famed leaker, @evleaks, and may just confirm the specs of this new device from the embattled Taiwanese mobile OEM. Here's the breakdown:
  • Snapdragon MSM8974
  • 5" 1080p display
  • 2GB RAM
  • UltraPixel rear camera
  • 2.1MP front camera
  • 802.11a/b/g/n/ac,
  • Android 4.4 KitKat
  • Sense 6.0
These specs are not bad, but they read more like a list of last year's end-of-year top-tier, rather the cutting edge of the future. Of course, it's possible things will change shortly before launch, and we will keep you apprised as we find out more. More than likely we will hear something from HTC either at CES or MWC.

Source: Twitter - @evleaks

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Honestly, what are the new Octacores and 64-bit chips going to do for us? Most games and apps aren't even optimized for current market dual and quad cores. The only real innovation that will be of note this year from all appearances is the Qualcomm 805 that has been noted as being far more efficient than anything else we've really seen. I do wish HTC could wait for release so that this would ship with it, but with enough on-board storage and a better battery the M8 will be hard to top. If it fails to bring those options, however, I just might have to go another year without a 4G phone; we shall see.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
4gigs of ram and 64-bit processors will "future proof" devices for longer. I'd rather pay the extra $30 for a device with a lot more horsepower for the long-haul.

Also, just as 1 example, Excel is limited to 1.5gigs of ram/memory with 32-bit office. There are purposes and reasons to go this direction, especially if talking about laptop/desktop and mobile converging.

acousticshade

Reaction score
HTC needs to update their ultrapixel camera. It just doesn't compare with cameras in the current top tier smartphones and probably won't be even close to the cameras in the S5 or G3 without a refresh.

Plus the ultrapixel notation doesn't help either. Will this be the same camera module or the advanced ultrapixel or the mega ultrapixel version? It just confuses customers. At least a camera with a mp rating gives me some information about what I'm buying. If HTC wants to sell the whole pixel size thing, they should include it outright with the phone specs. Even better, give both the mp and pixel size.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
4gigs of ram and 64-bit processors will "future proof" devices for longer. I'd rather pay the extra $30 for a device with a lot more horsepower for the long-haul.

Also, just as 1 example, Excel is limited to 1.5gigs of ram/memory with 32-bit office. There are purposes and reasons to go this direction, especially if talking about laptop/desktop and mobile converging.

You don't really think that a 64 bit processor and 4 GB RAM is only going to cost $30 extra. I'm thinking more like $100. Very few buyers need that power and sales would go way down with the extra cost. Battery life is way more important to most users than a super processor.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You don't really think that a 64 bit processor and 4 GB RAM is only going to cost $30 extra. I'm thinking more like $100. .

Compared to what is coming out in the next few months I'd say $30 is pretty close. You do realize the component costs of these phones is only @ 200? $30 more would represent a 15% increase. You're only talking 1 more gig of ram vs. what is coming out in some phones, and I don't think 64-bit architecture is going to cost all that much more in a processor.

It's not about what buyers need now, I'm talking a willingness to pay extra to have a phone with a significantly longer useful life. But marginal upgrades means bleeding more phone sales out of consumers.

Last edited:

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Compared to what is coming out in the next few months I'd say $30 is pretty close. You do realize the component costs of these phones is only @ 200? $30 more would represent a 15% increase. You're only talking 1 more gig of ram vs. what is coming out in some phones, and I don't think 64-bit architecture is going to cost all that much more in a processor.

It's not about what buyers need now, I'm talking a willingness to pay extra to have a phone with a significantly longer useful life. But marginal upgrades means bleeding more phone sales out of consumers.

Yes, I realize that the component cost is only $200. The phone sells for $600, or 3X the component cost. You do realize that a $30 increase in the component cost will translate to a $90 price difference, don't you?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You do realize that a $30 increase in the component cost will translate to a $90 price difference, don't you?

Why would it? The development,marketing and overhead costs don't change, which drives the mark-up - the OEM's don't just slap a multiple on the cost of parts to get a margin.

You're missing the point anyway - even if they wanted to charge the consumer $100, they wouldn't offer it because they'll make a lot more money getting 1-2 more upgrades out of that consumer.