HTC One Mini Supposedly Confirmed; Coming in August

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
HTC-One-mini--dual-angle.jpg

It looks like we have further confirmation of an HTC One Mini device coming later this year to compete with the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini and the next iPhone. We have heard repeated rumors about the device and even shared leaked pics, but now Bloomberg seems to have confirmed the device through industry insider sources. Here's a quote with more of the details,

The new model features a 4.3-inch screen, compared with 4.7 inches for the original version, and will go on sale by August, according to two people briefed on the plans who asked not to be identified because details aren’t public. The device will probably have a less-powerful Qualcomm Inc. (QCOM) processor and lower-resolution screen than the flagship, said one of the people.

HTC One, which was released in the U.S. in April, helped the Taoyuan, Taiwan-based company post sales in May that were its strongest monthly result in almost a year. The smaller version seeks to reclaim market share from Samsung Electronics Co. (005930), the world’s largest smartphone maker which last month unveiled the Galaxy S4 mini, a less-powerful version of the flagship handset released in April.

HTC declined to comment in an e-mailed response to Bloomberg News.

Made with a thin aluminum case, the original HTC One includes an UltraPixel camera, full high-definition screen and front-facing speakers. The device was described by New York Times reviewer David Pogue as “gorgeous” and by Bloomberg’s Rich Jaroslovsky as “state of the art.”

At least six brokers upgraded their recommendation on HTC since the One was unveiled in February.

Offering a smaller version may help the company keep its momentum and compete with Samsung’s slimmed-down device and ahead of a low-cost iPhone expected to be unveiled by Apple Inc. (AAPL) next quarter.

What do you guys think? If HTC releases this device, how successful do you think it will be?

Source: Bloomberg

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't get why HTC thinks a slightly smaller screen with slightly weaker specs is some profitable opportunity. In 6 months they'd otherwise be discounting the One to hit that market segment.

The incremental R&D and production costs of a decision like this is why HTC can't make money. HTC seems to believe people come in looking for very specific "specs", and that merely putting such a device on the shelf is a winner. They'd be far better off putting that money into advertising to convert these people into One sales.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll be more inclined to go 4.3 than the mammoth big brother.I'm just not interested in a bigger screen than my Rezound.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'll be more inclined to go 4.3 than the mammoth big brother.I'm just not interested in a bigger screen than my Rezound.

It's lighter and thinner than the Rezound...approx 6% wider and 4% longer (less than 2/10th of an inch). I'd say it's very comparable in size to the Rezound, bigger display but less bezel.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's lighter and thinner than the Rezound...approx 6% wider and 4% longer (less than 2/10th of an inch). I'd say it's very comparable in size to the Rezound, bigger display but less bezel.

I wouldn't mind giving up some mind blowing specs in order to have a phone no bigger than my current phone.
It also doesn't matter to me if Verizon doesn't carry it either. Unless something major changes I'm leaving this fall after being a 20 year customer. I'm not paying $120 activation fees to reup my 4 lines.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post