HTC One M9 Supposedly Heats Up to 131 Degrees Fahrenheit Under Benchmarks

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-one-m9-overheating.jpeg

Here is a bit of HTC One M9 news which could be distressing. Supposedly, the One M9's unibody design heats up to a flesh-burning 131 degrees Fahrenheit during a GFXBench benchmark test. For those across the pond, that is a whopping 55.4 degrees Celsius. To be clear, the source of this intel made note that tap water at 140 degrees Fahrenheit can give you third degree burns. Ouch!

According to the report, the reason the surface of the phone heats up this much is because of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 processor. If this report is true it would be further confirmation that Samsung was right about the 810 having over-heating problems.

There's one important point to take from this. According to HTC spokesman Jeff Gordon, the software has not been finalized for the device. He didn't explicit say it, but he hinted that once that software is finalized the heat issues could be resolved. It looks like we will have to play wait and see.

Here's our dedicated HTC One M9 section for further discussion: HTC One M9 Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: BGR

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I want to see the S6 in there when released

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Damn, that's hot. :p

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
That is hot...sheesh! My Fascinate got up to 127-128 a couple times during some Temple Run marathons. Toasty!

S5 tap'n

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
That is a bit warm. I know when my phone is cranking out some CPU usage, it can go up to 41.6°C. But I think that is the hottest I have seen it.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
So LG must be under clocking theirs to keep it cool. Looks like Sammy made the right decision in skipping the 810.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I would like to add, during a TiBu I did before I decided to go with 5.1 (got it installed, slowly installing apps, so far so good) my phone was at 108°F. Not sure what the Celsius reading is on that, but the phone likes to get hot!!

Serene

Reaction score
What to do if it overheats? same as lg g flex 2 sporting same spec.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Under clocking may be a fix but doesn't resolve what sounds like a Snapdragon 810 design issue.