HTC One M8 and Samsung Galaxy S5 Quick Comparison [Poll]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sgs5-standing-tall.png
htc-one-m8-standing-tall.png

Here's a quick comparison breakdown of some of the major features for the Samsung Galaxy S5 and the all new HTC One M8.

HTC One (M8) CPU = Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 2.3GHz (2.5GHz Asia and China) - Qualcomm Krait 400 - Adreno 330 - 2GB Ram
Samsung Galaxy S5 CPU = Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 2.5GHz - Qualcomm Krait 400 - Adreno 300 - 2GB Ram

HTC One (M8) Display = 5.0 inches - 1920x1080 Full HD - 441ppi - Super LCD3
Samsung Galaxy S5 Display = 5.1 inches - 1920x1080 Full HD - 432ppi - Super AMOLED

HTC One (M8) Camera = 4 million Ultrapixel - 1080p 30fps, slow-mo 720p - Duo-Mode for improved camera effects - Front camera = 5MP
Samsung Galaxy S5 Camera = 16 million ISOCELL - 4K 30fps, 1080p 60fps, slow-mo 720p - Front camera = 2 Megapixel

HTC One (M8) Storage and Battery = 16/32GB - microSD Slot - 2600mAh
Samsung Galaxy S5 Storage and Battery = 16/32GB - microSD Slot - 2800mAh

HTC One M8 Dimensions = 146.36 x 70.6 x 9.35 mm, 160 grams
Samsung Galaxy S5 Dimensions = 142 x 72.5 x 8.1 mm, 145 grams

This comparison excludes the various software features which obviously differentiate the devices a great deal. It also doesn't take into account that the HTC One M8 includes dual front stereo speakers. This is a tremendous selling point for some folks. Additionally, it seems like the HTC One M8 has a more premium build quality comapred the the Galaxy S5, although that might not matter to some. Overall, both devices really push the edge on innovative ideas and extreme functionality. Which impresses you more?

For more discussions regarding the all new HTC One M8, here's a link to our dedicated section: HTC One (M8)

Last edited:

GAstorino

Reaction score
I do like the Galaxy slightly better with removable battery. Camera appears way better. Do wish the Galaxy had a better sound system like the HTC. Don't know with the cheapness of ram they don't glut the ram on these phones because in bulk you are talking pennies. I get 8 gig cards in the gumball machine now. Everyone does complain about Galaxy build but I have yet to see outside the store a phone not in a case so you never see a "Plastic" back. Get a metal case if that is the problem.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Gotta go with the HTC One (M8) Aesthetically it's a much better looking handset. It looks like a premium handset. HTC also wins on the build qualit. Samsung needs to move away from the plastic. There is a time and place for plastic handsets, and a premium handset is not the time or place.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hooray for HTC bringing back external memory! And a 5mp front camera? Winner by default of selfies! ;-) I'd consider the HTC in a heartbeat if I ever wanted to give up on my Maxx

Sent from my Droid Maxx

Bara65

Reaction score
I think HTC really missed the chance they could capitalize on after S5 announcement. Aesthetically it's looking nice though it's subjective thing. But besides that what does it do better than S5? I don't like its huge bottom bezel that makes it almost as tall as Note 3. And early reviews of its camera is quite disappointing, let alone no OIS, 4K video.

I never got hung up on metal vs plastic body thing. There are plenty of good looking/feeling plastic body phones. It's depends on how it's executed. And plastic case has benefit of wireless charging, battery swapping, better shock absorbing.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I think HTC really missed the chance they could capitalize on after S5 announcement. Aesthetically it's looking nice though it's subjective thing. But besides that what does it do better than S5? I don't like its huge bottom bezel that makes it almost as tall as Note 3. And early reviews of its camera is quite disappointing, let alone no OIS, 4K video.

I never got hung up on metal vs plastic body thing. There are plenty of good looking/feeling plastic body phones. It's depends on how it's executed. And plastic case has benefit of wireless charging, battery swapping, better shock absorbing.

I'm quite happy with my N3 and never had issues with plastics by Samsung ..I use the phone in all conditions no issues with durability ..and I've seen plenty of scratched and cracked HTC phones from friends ..HTC is solid I'm sure but I just feel everyone gets so caught up on the metal ...and then after they buy the phone throw it in a case anyway ...

N3 tap

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
They don't mention all this little things that S5 adds like the Bio Sensor and items for the active person. Gimicky but they are in there already.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Looks like the S5 is slightly better in nearly every way from looking at those specs.