HTC One for $50.00 or LG G2 for $200.00?

magdream

Reaction score
All things considered, which would YOU upgrade to? This would be for Verizon.

wcjeep

Reaction score
I haven't touched the LG G2 yet. The LG devices I've played with in the past have been horrible. The LG G2 reviews have not been kind. Terrible Android over lay with over saturation of the screen. The HTC One reviews have been consistently good. Best Buy might have the special edition HTC One in Blue if that's important to you.

LG G2 Review
LG G2 Review: A Braindead Hercules

Amoled vs LCD
[video=youtube_share;DChnGXLErrI]http://youtu.be/DChnGXLErrI[/video]

OP
M

magdream

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and links. The truth is that it shouldn't that complicated because I've wanted the the One all along and was waiting for it to come to VZ. Priced now at $50.00 should be a no-brainer. However, the voice in the back of my head keeps telling me to get the latest and greatest (at least specs/potential) so that I'm not struggling a year to a year and a half from now.

Of course I can wait for the N5, but then something else will be "just around the corner"...

Last edited:

wcjeep

Reaction score
Latest and greatest would be the Note 3. Samsung has been consistent with updates. Phone could be too big for some.

OP
M

magdream

Reaction score
Latest and greatest would be the Note 3. Samsung has been consistent with updates. Phone could be too big for some.

Yeah, the notes are too big. Even the G2 is pushing it for me.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I've liked the G2 from the reviews I've watched. Maybe just go to the store and check out both. That cpu in the G2 is pretty tempting! *Also, the Note phones dont seem that big after a short while, check out the N2 while you are at the store!

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I'm loving the G2 from what I have seen from playing with it here at work. The buttons on the back of the phone are a little annoying, but you can double tap the screen to turn the screen on or off. The ability to quickly get to 3 apps that you slide to the side. 13mp camera with optical image stabilization. The processor is nice and quick, and it is business capable for security. The signal strength we are experiencing with the AT&T is just about on par with how the s4 is, and one bar less than the Moto X.

WolfR1

Reaction score
I was ready to pull the trigger on a GS4 a month before the G2 hit shelves. I waited and read the reviews. Most of them are good reviews. From the 'bad' reviews that I've read most of them whine about this phone having no new gimmicky crap to sell as everyone else does. In other words LG is doing the same thing as the others (Samsung in particular) and anything they have added is almost worthless. That aside I do have the phone and haven't regretted it. It's a great phone this far (had it for a week). Battery life is incredible though using some of my existing chargers leaves me with questions (it doesn't like some of them, even the 2.1 amp ones).

Everything I've read about both of these phones is that they're great phones and each is worth it in their own right. If you're looking to get locked into a contract the G2 might go farther with much more processing power than the HTC.

OP
M

magdream

Reaction score
I don't doubt that the G2 is a better phone spec/potential wise. My question is it worth 200.00 on contract compared to 50.00 for the HTC. I did get to play with a G2 in a verizon store and the screen did look nice, albeit over saturated. I've played with a One in the past, but would like to do a side by side. Sound is better on the One, and the size is a better fit for me, though the G2 wasn't unreasonably large.

The G2 has the screen size, processor, and battery vs.The One, which has the Form factor/build quality, sound, and better fit (for me).
The G2 is 200.00 vs. the One is 50.00.

I guess I'm trying to determine which is the better value.

WolfR1

Reaction score
I honestly don't believe the fit and finish are any worse on the G2. Everyone's made a stink about the parts being plastic and cheap. Suffice it to say this isn't the GS4. There's isn't a cheap feel to be had on the G2. However I will agree with most reviews on the finger print issue. Which is a non issue for me since I put a case on all phones I get. But if you don't like to put a case on your phones the G2 will suck in finger prints like a black hole. LOL

As far as size is concerned I came from a Bionic and was concerned about the size in my hand. This too is a non issue. While the phone is big, it's light and thin. For me I believe there's less fatigue with this phone than the Bionic.

Lastly if you're looking for 'value' then it's a no brainer. The $150 difference makes up the 'value'. These phones are so close I think there would have to be a specific reason to go with the G2 over the One. For me it was staying power. Over time apps/games/etc are going to want more processing power and the more I can get now equates to fewer problems in the future.

I honestly think the G2 is the better choice overall but not if cost is your number ONE driving factor. ;)

OP
M

magdream

Reaction score
Cost isn't the biggest factor, just part of the overall equation. You do bring up the two biggest factors. The phones are close, so I should be better off with One, given the price difference. However, staying power is also a concern, as my 2 year old Bionic limping along demonstrates. Looks wise, the One is, imho, the sharpest phone available, if not ever. That would fall more under the tie breaker category, however.

I just need to find a store that has both working models on display so I can do a side by side.

huskur

Reaction score
I don't doubt that the G2 is a better phone spec/potential wise. My question is it worth 200.00 on contract compared to 50.00 for the HTC. I did get to play with a G2 in a verizon store and the screen did look nice, albeit over saturated. I've played with a One in the past, but would like to do a side by side. Sound is better on the One, and the size is a better fit for me, though the G2 wasn't unreasonably large.

The G2 has the screen size, processor, and battery vs.The One, which has the Form factor/build quality, sound, and better fit (for me).
The G2 is 200.00 vs. the One is 50.00.

I guess I'm trying to determine which is the better value.

Don't base it on the better value. Base it on what you desire and which one you like the best. Don't buy something you will be unhappy with and wishing you got the other.

OP
M

magdream

Reaction score
Value is a partial actor but the truth is that I like aspects of both phones, so I keep going back and forth. As previously posted, reviews for the One are universally very positive, whereas the G2 is getting a bit of a mixed bag. However, most of the negatives aren't that concerning to me. So even reviews are swaying me. I think a side by side is the only way I'll be able to truly decide.