HTC Officially Launches their New Flagship the HTC One

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
But it could prompt a lot of people to increase their data tier.

Let's say that pushing cloud storage over local storage causes just 10,000 users to increase their data plan by a measly $10.

That's $1.2 million per year, plus taxes. And 10,000 users is a drop in the bucket as a portion of their customer base, and that is also assuming that the tier increase is only $10 for each. It could be more people over time, and more than 1 bump in their tier.

Food for thought. I mean, who benefits the most from having such little storage on such a flagship device(s), that have large screens that encourage video and stuff?

The person that holds the pipeline to supply that content. HTC doesn't benefit from not having an SD slot. Sure, maybe it saves them $1 per phone, but that isn't enough of a reason to cripple the phone and possibly hurt sales, unless they were making money from the carrier, who will benefit from not having an SD slot because of exorbitant data rates.

to me cloud storage makes no sense when you can sync it to tablets, laptops and pcs.... you can also have an external memory card which makes u carry around extra pieces but hell its worth it compared to increasing your plan

I realize build quality may not matter to some, but to say you don't understand the build quality argument is a reach. Every company spends millions of dollars designing a phones form factor. They follow that up by spending some more on drop tests, and scratch resistance, button feel, etc. We all are the edge our seats waiting to see the final design. Every review judges the phone on how it looks, feels, and functions in hand. When we go to Verizon to test a new phone, we do the same. We talk about Gorilla glass and oleophobic coatings. How could covering the resulting aesthetics, altering the ergonomics, and comprising the function with cases and screen protectors be a fix? It's not. It's a compromise we are forced to make.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

oh I understand build quality.. I'm just saying as a trade-off I put build quality absolutely last in importance... and I don't even use cases

what I don't get is people putting the most importance on build quality AND putting a case on their extra durable device... if your gonna put a case on it anyway then what's the point of it being durable out of the case

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
LMAO....the phones still all look pretty much the same to me. The way people parse the dimensions of a rectangle and nitpick at bezels is only rivaled by art snobs.

Nicely said, nothing earth shattering the last couple of years. Yes smartphones and tablets have gotten faster, but if there is no software to take advantage of it, it's a mood point. I like sonny's water resistant feature on their xperia z.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

skennelly

Reaction score
I hope all Android handsets follow suit and get away from plastic phones. I can even live with non removable batteries as long as they can last all day without having to charge them. HTC did a nice job on this phone. I hope it pulls them out of the toilet.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Nice to know others are like me and won't support companies abandoning Card Slots.Also I think only the enthusiasts put as much stock in the battery life as those of you talking about it here. I mean, come on. Many people are on batteries that are literally HALF what this phone has. Like me and my Dinc2 with its 1400MH battery. 1400. My phone is nearly 2 years old and I can generally get an entire day out of it still. But even when I can't I have a charger at the office and one in my car. It's rare my phones ever dead on me by days end. ANd newer phones are only more efficient.
Note I do not stream as much as I used to as I finally got my entire CD collection on my SD Card. *ahem.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hope all Android handsets follow suit and get away from plastic phones. I can even live with non removable batteries as long as they can last all day without having to charge them. HTC did a nice job on this phone. I hope it pulls them out of the toilet.

HTC is past the toilet stage, they are bleeding $, in regards to non removable batteries, not a big fan, first you will not find many phones that will last all day without having to be charged, unless it's a Motorola max phone. The downside of not being able to replace the battery is when the battery starts acting up you need to replace the whole device, and you also need to remember that the more you keep charging the battery the weaker the battery gets. Myself I like to have the option to replace the battery on my device, plus being able to carrying an extra battery in my pocket is a piece of mind, especially when you are out and about without an outlet to charge your device.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's one thing that likely will keep me from getting this phone: the homescreen clock widget that literally can't be removed and some of the app drawer elements that cannot be changed. I'm tired of having a phone that I have to root or flash just to get a clean setup. Part of the reason that I'm hoping that some of these other providers get their stuff together so that I can jump ship from Verizon as well. Tired of their ridiculous bloat.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nice to know others are like me and won't support companies abandoning Card Slots.Also I think only the enthusiasts put as much stock in the battery life as those of you talking about it here. I mean, come on. Many people are on batteries that are literally HALF what this phone has. Like me and my Dinc2 with its 1400MH battery. 1400. My phone is nearly 2 years old and I can generally get an entire day out of it still. But even when I can't I have a charger at the office and one in my car. It's rare my phones ever dead on me by days end. ANd newer phones are only more efficient.
Note I do not stream as much as I used to as I finally got my entire CD collection on my SD Card. *ahem.

because that phones on 3g.. we all know about the thunderbolt.. similar specs with 4g and that phone didn't make it to lunch... there's only one way I would take a phone under 3000mah built in and that's with a removable option for a second or extended battery... but since I'm fixed on a note 2 I get the best of both worlds

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
My phone is nearly 2 years old and I can generally get an entire day out of it still. But even when I can't I have a charger at the office and one in my car. It's rare my phones ever dead on me by days end. ANd newer phones are only more efficient.
come talk to us when you upgrade to modern lte phone with 1400mah battery ;)

MacLeod

Reaction score
Exactly. My T-Bolt wouldn't make it more than a few hours with the stock battery. I bought the extended battery and it would last a day and a half! Perfect!

I work outside mostly and don't have the luxury of sitting at a desk all day with a charger plugged in. Small, non removable batteries are just not practical for guys like me. Thank God for Samsung and they'll continue to have a loyal customer in me as long as they continue to support SD cards and bigger removable batteries. I'd be on my 3rd HTC phone in a row right now if they had.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Exactly. My T-Bolt wouldn't make it more than a few hours with the stock battery. I bought the extended battery and it would last a day and a half! Perfect!

I work outside mostly and don't have the luxury of sitting at a desk all day with a charger plugged in. Small, non removable batteries are just not practical for guys like me. Thank God for Samsung and they'll continue to have a loyal customer in me as long as they continue to support SD cards and bigger removable batteries. I'd be on my 3rd HTC phone in a row right now if they had.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.

We need to send posts like these to HTC corporate, but I am sure they have seen them but just don't care.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Multi-user support on a tablet, might make sense. But on a phone?

Useless and pointless.

Give us SD cards, let *me* decide how much memory I need.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
The multi-user excuse is weak. While it makes sense (somewhat) for tablets, phones are very personal and nearly everyone has one. I don't see it as needing multi-user support. At best we are talking multi-identity where one might want a completely separate config for work and personal (talking a firewall between apps and content). That would actually be an argument for MORE SDcard space than less, IMO.

Now I don't use my phone this way, but if we had more space it would be a great back-up source for your critical PC files. Sure, plenty of online solutions available but that's not always ideal.

I am telling you, this push to move away from SD cards is led by the carriers. They got rid of Unlimited for a reason. They knew that most Unlimited users didn't use all that much data, so if I were them here would be my plan:

1) Get rid of Unlimited and force people onto pricier tiered plans.
2) As a result, people start watching their data usage and relying on Wifi and locally stored content as a result.
3) Push for manufacturers to stop allowing SD cards, forcing people to have to start using their data plans for streaming content to the phone.

Consumers are not demanding user accounts on phones. Nobody cares about that crap.

This has to do with data plans being incredibly lucrative, and finding more ways to encourage, or even force people to use more data, is cash in the bank. Limiting the storage ability at the hardware level, pretty much forces more bandwidth consumption if you have to use their network to access your data/files/content when you are on the go.

MPG>HP

Reaction score
No Barometer Like Samsung? Fail!

After about 2 years, finally upgraded my T-Bolt to DNA. Much improved interface, speed, power efficiency but, alas, no kickstand. Will wait for a barometer for altitude and weather tracking, before upgrading.