HTC Merge Benchmarks Better Than The Droid X

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
[video=youtube;zjvtwVXxd4A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjvtwVXxd4A]YouTube - HTC Merge (Lexikon) benchmarks wmv[/video]

The concept of high numbered specs sheet to sell devices is what companies try to implant to our brains and it seems to have worked. When people think of fast, they think of 1Ghz+ and anything less than that is just not good enough anymore. Well that mentality is just wrong, because its not always about how fast your processor is made as much as what goes into making it and in this processor's cause, what Qualcomm made into it. This was one of seven different snapdragon processors that were part of their second gen line up. The 800mhz version is just as fast as most 1Ghz devices, but holds more battery life and other benefits.

Anyways, enjoy the video and the piece of mind knowing the first HTC Android slider to come to Verizon Wireless will be great regardless of the clock speed.

bench.JPG
Via: AndroidC

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nevermind, I just looked, 2.2...Man that thing is nice!! Like with the X, the I/O part pushed it ahead, even tho the cpu part the Nexus 1 saw a bigger increase from Froyo...

Wonder if it can be overclocked to 1Ghz? It should...Like some of said before, dont sleep on 800Mhz. "These are not the Snapdragons you're looking for"

These are newer versions...

Droidbot999

Reaction score
Is this the Lexikon or the Merge? I remember hearing that the Merge would have a 4+inch screen plus a 10MP camera. Can someone settle this for me?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well benchmarks are pointless... if the phone runs smooth, what does a silly benchmark matter?

Sent from my Droid

emprize

Reaction score
which app is it for the benchmark?
if Quadrant, why my Quadrant just show a plain overall result instead of divide on cpu, graphic, etc...

jack902902

Reaction score
Well benchmarks are pointless... if the phone runs smooth, what does a silly benchmark matter?

Sent from my Droid

Well benchmarks can give you an idea how effective your hardware is, such as, 800Mhz vs 1000Mhz processor comparisons.
You couldn't simply say that a 1000Mhz Snapdragon and 1000Mhz Hummingbird processor operated at the same performance or speed, just because they say 1000Mhz.

Even if your phone does run smooth, benchmarks give you an idea of what they're capable of and what they can do beyond factory installed software.

The iPhone is a great example of this, and if it wasn't for the window of developer opportunity, the iPhone would have just been a short lived cell phone like the LG Voyager, constantly replaced by a newer and evolved model. If I wanted better touch screen functions, I needed to get an evolved model like the LG Envy Touch, just to enjoy truer touch screen functions that the Voyager should have had, but that was premature.

I know the iPhone didn't come with a camera, or 3G. But it was the accelerated hardware, operating system, and the axis functionality that kept people from having to buy a new phone every 6 months.
When the iPhone added 3G and a camera, they didn't redesign the form factor and call it something new, it was still an iPhone.

With this freedom of functionality, apple has left a window of endless possibilities for developers to develop, and consumers to consume.

The more powerful or resource free your smart phone is, the more you can do with the apps that are developed for us. Otherwise, what's the point to having an app phone if you can't enjoy them, and with ease.

Benchmarks allow us to evaluate those capabilities phone to phone.

dancedroid

tobytl

Reaction score
...To the OP, you see that the cpu portion of the test is roughly 80% of the nexus one's stock score right below it right? 800MHz is 80% of 1GHz. So yes, it would appear that it does matter.... That's a very glib answer, but if you're going to use benchmarks to prove your point (which is a tenuous proposition to begin with), make sure the portion you're talking about supports the narrative you're laying out. All of the stuff after the blue portion of that bar is unrelated to the cpu.

But if we're using the overall score, it's still not pretty. I mean, the fact that my DX on 2.2 scores higher than that, without using stagefright (which HTC likes turning on by default), is pretty telling... If I enable stagefright (as it is on the merge, from what I've been told, at least on the demo builds), I get 2100-2200 easily. Does that mean anything? Probably not really... Benchmark numbers are meaningless on android, because they lack context. And it's questionable whether or not the differences that have such a huge influence on benchmark numbers have any impact on real world usage.