Htc m7 won't unlock

Jordan Schmidt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M7
Hi, I'm new here. I am having trouble with my HTC One M7. When I try to do ANYTHING with the phone, it shows this message, "Unfortunately, com.android.settings has stopped." I can't even unlock the phone. I've tried a factory reset, and it didn't do anything. Is it possible that I need to somehow reinstall android onto the phone from my computer? I've attached a picture of what happens when I try to unlock the phone.
image.jpg

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
There are a number of things you can try (if you haven't already), including rebooting, soft reset (HTC One Verizon Wireless - Restarting HTC One Soft reset - SETTINGS SERVICES - How-tos - Support HTC United States pulling the battery (if it's removable), booting in safe mode and also clearing cache ( How To Fix Verizon HTC One M7 Problems and Errors factory data restore (HTC One M8 - Resetting HTC One Hard reset - SETTINGS SERVICES - How-tos - Support HTC United States and flashing a new copy of the OS.

I would try them in that order.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Hi, I'm new here. I am having trouble with my HTC One M7. When I try to do ANYTHING with the phone, it shows this message, "Unfortunately, com.android.settings has stopped." I can't even unlock the phone. I've tried a factory reset, and it didn't do anything. Is it possible that I need to somehow reinstall android onto the phone from my computer? I've attached a picture of what happens when I try to unlock the phone. View attachment 73749

Welcome to the forum. Which carrier is this phone branded to?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Also, if this is a removable Sim card, power the phone off, remove the Sim, power it on and complete booting. Check to so if you can get to a home screen. Either way, power back down, insert the Sim and power back up again, then try to unlock.

OP
J

Jordan Schmidt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M7
Also, if this is a removable Sim card, power the phone off, remove the Sim, power it on and complete booting. Check to so if you can get to a home screen. Either way, power back down, insert the Sim and power back up again, then try to unlock.
I dont have a sim installed. But thanks for all these, I'm gonna try them all later!

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
When you press and hold the power button do you get the power off options? Ex: Power Off, Airplane Mode, Restart etc?

OP
J

Jordan Schmidt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M7
When you press and hold the power button do you get the power off options? Ex: Power Off, Airplane Mode, Restart etc?

Yes, I am able to access those

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK when that screen pops up press and hold the Power Off option. It should offer you the Safe Mode option. If it does select Safe Mode.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Not all phones have safe mode as an option from the power off screen. For instance, here's mine.

0abdc8dae33866038fe81e25e818fb27.jpg

Here's the instructions for getting into safe mode according to the site I linked to above.

Turn off the phone.
Press the Power button briefly to turn the device on.
As the phone reboots, press and hold Volume down button until it loads the operating system and the “Safe Mode” label shows on the lower part of the screen.

Read more at How To Fix Verizon HTC One M7 Problems and Errors

OP
J

Jordan Schmidt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M7
OK when that screen pops up press and hold the Power Off option. It should offer you the Safe Mode option. If it does select Safe Mode.
I'll try this, although I did use the method FoxKat mentioned and it did boot in safe mode. The phone still wouldn't allow me to unlock it. Is there any way to install a fresh copy of android on this phone?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Not all phones have safe mode as an option from the power off screen. For instance, here's mine.

0abdc8dae33866038fe81e25e818fb27.jpg

Here's the instructions for getting into safe mode according to the site I linked to above.

Turn off the phone.
Press the Power button briefly to turn the device on.
As the phone reboots, press and hold Volume down button until it loads the operating system and the “Safe Mode” label shows on the lower part of the screen.

Read more at How To Fix Verizon HTC One M7 Problems and Errors

The Safe Mode option will not appear until you actually press and hold down the Power Off option in that menu. On the M series phones it's most likely carrier specific.

I'm going to try it on my One X+.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model