HTC Locking Phones Now Like Motorola

bplewis24

Reaction score
Dave, is my understanding correct that the custom kernel is only used for changing voltages and under/overclocking?

Brandon

If you can change the kernel you can then compile the entire os from source and add all the bells and whistles as Cyanogen does. Without the kernel you cannot do this, yes you can have custom roms but just ask any of the rom devs for x how much harder it is too add hacks like they have in cyanogen or many of the other droid roms compiled from source. The kernel is linked to the framework and without being able to change both you are limited in what you can do.

Thanks for the feedback.

Brandon

DaWolf85

Reaction score
My classmate has a rooted G2 and he hasn't mentioned anything about it loosing root when restarting it, I'll have to ask him about that.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
They have permroot now, or some form of it. From what I understand, it reroots the device at startup.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
My classmate has a rooted G2 and he hasn't mentioned anything about it loosing root when restarting it, I'll have to ask him about that.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
They have permroot now, or some form of it. From what I understand, it reroots the device at startup.

They have unlocked the G2/Desire Z, Desire HD, and the MyTouch 4G, which all use that same type of protection, and can now have perm root, s-off, and can use custom roms/kernels/recoveries.

They have been able to for quite a long time.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Maybe resurrecting a thread that's 5 months old isn't always the best thing to do.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
HTC has been trying to lock their phones down and all you have to do is look at how often unrevoked has had to change their methods in order to root some of these device. HTC and Motorola is taking the same path motorola just had the help of ti to help speed up the process. I expect HTC to continue especially after what have been happening lately. Motorola is only locking the bootloader. HTC is trying to lock it completely. The G2 was the first clear intent on locking it down and you can see it went further then motorola in that it wipes your phone back to factory. Devs are just able to figure away around it. Htc is learning and I expect them to continue the practice. Motorola has just been more open about it.

DaWolf85

Reaction score
HTC has been trying to lock their phones down and all you have to do is look at how often unrevoked has had to change their methods in order to root some of these device. HTC and Motorola is taking the same path motorola just had the help of ti to help speed up the process. I expect HTC to continue especially after what have been happening lately. Motorola is only locking the bootloader. HTC is trying to lock it completely. The G2 was the first clear intent on locking it down and you can see it went further then motorola in that it wipes your phone back to factory. Devs are just able to figure away around it. Htc is learning and I expect them to continue the practice. Motorola has just been more open about it.
According to Cyanogen the wiping of root is actually a bug, not intentional.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
According to Cyanogen the wiping of root is actually a bug, not intentional.

Totally forgot about that last night when talking with pc. Wished i remembered but I'm glad you did :)

DaWolf85

Reaction score
Totally forgot about that last night when talking with pc. Wished i remembered but I'm glad you did :)

I actually just read that a few minutes ago while googling g2 rooting :D