HTC Locking Phones Now Like Motorola

khaf

Reaction score
I have a feeling the Samsung phones are about to get some developers behind them.

Yeah things are moving alot faster than I thought they would. Im just waiting for Froyo I bet you will see many custom roms come out after that.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Me personally, I choose things like reception and phone features over custom ROMs. Call me crazy....

Yeah, I'm crazy like that, too.

The next gen of phones with more ram, faster processors and better battery life will eliminate my primary reason to root. Although wireless tether comes in handy at times, but that's the only other app/rooted feature I use. I suppose ad block, too.

n0yxl

Reaction score
Makes you think, "What will life be with the unrootable Thunderbolt?" -doesn't it?

I mean, just because someone achieved permanent root on a pre-production unit; doesn't mean that the same can be done to what end-users will be getting, does it?

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd love to hear some good news from the manufacturers one day...

drewlamo1

Reaction score
well i got to say this, the modding community is a very small % and this small % is returning so many "ooops i bricked my phone" warranty claims?

if this is true then the modding community has an even smaller % of people who truly know what they are doing lmfao...

if we make up say only %5 of the whole and that %5 is causing a company to put money into extra measures to lock down phones in order to prevent modding then all i can say is wow, we are truly fudging up the works on this one.

we as a modding community need to take direct measures to ensure people who join the ranks take head of what they are getting into.
I for one have never had to take in a device for any reason, ive SBF a few times but the SBF fixed the problem..

wait i lied, had my battery fail on the d1 but i took it in and they just gave me a new one at the store.

johnnyb15613

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I say that google enforces rootkits to be installed on ALL android devices. They see that we modded it, and instantly our warranty is invalid! For those that think that that custom ROMS and themes are "obsessive" or any other word you can conjure, Run a few of the custom ROMS for the D1, then please come back to this thread and recant your statement. It literally is a whole new world!
Granted, we are a small community, but we are THRIVING!

gymangel812

Reaction score
Makes you think, "What will life be with the unrootable Thunderbolt?" -doesn't it?

I mean, just because someone achieved permanent root on a pre-production unit; doesn't mean that the same can be done to what end-users will be getting, does it?
the news on the TB gets worse and worse today. i don't want it unless it can be rooted and don't want to pay more for lte. can't believe i waited months for this for nothing.

nwasquad

Reaction score
the news on the TB gets worse and worse today. i don't want it unless it can be rooted and don't want to pay more for lte. can't believe i waited months for this for nothing.

Are u serious? The user u quoted wasnt SAYIN the TB is unrootable; he just posted a hypothetical questions what IF it was unrootable?

And u realize the TB has already been semi "rooted" based on the RUU leaks? Look around the TB forum and you'll see...

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Do you guys realize how old this thread is...? I believe all of HTCs phones have been rooted and had custom roms so I don't think it's too big of a deal.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bplewis24

Reaction score
If it weren't for the "Oh noes, I messed up my device screwing with custom ROMs and now it doesn't work. How can I lie to my carrier to get them to replace my device for free?" mentality; we wouldn't be facing problems like this.

I honestly think these things are being locked down because of rampant warranty fraud.

I kinda agree with this. as i've read through threads, i've seen a lot of people saying they're on their 3rd or 4th replacement phone. sometimes i find it hard to believe that they just have bad luck with repeatedly crappy phones and can't help but think they most likely caused the problem themselves because of rooting or what have you. plus i always hear of how crappy the refurbished phones are, and i also tend to think that the person that owned it previously probably rooted it and hacked the hell out of it until the problems became too great that the person said 'to hell with it', flashed some sbf, made up some lie about the phone, and probably got a D2 out of it, and just screwed Verizon, Motorola, the person who gets the 'refurb' and anyone else that is nonrooted and actually has a real problem with their phone.

Now i myself am rooted, but i do a ton of research before i do anything to my phone just to make sure i know what i'm doing. I mean when i first rooted 2.1, people gave me various update.zips to install, and i noticed that their sizes were all different, so i'd ask why, etc before installing anything. I probably annoyed a lot of people with all my questions (still do probably). And yes, its a lot of fun, and so far i haven't had any issues with it at all. I'm sure a lot of us do their research too, and many many people that know A LOT more than i'll ever know, but there are others too that go through these things without understanding what they're doing.

I can understand why phone makers are locking their phones..i can imagine that a lot of the trades and replacements they make are not warranted..it still sucks though :(

Just giving my opinion..don't yell at me! lol..

I'm sorry, but people can't have it both ways with this argument. One person says that the root/hack community is so small and insignificant that manufacturers won't care if you don't purchase their phone because of a locked bootloader, and the next person says that the reason for locked bootloaders is because of a significant amount of bricked phones causing warranty fraud.

First of all, to truly brick a phone while rooting is pretty tough. So only a minority of the people attempting to root their phone would have this issue. On top of that, the amount of people rooting their phones is still a minority of the people that own them. Suggesting that manufacturers are locking down their phones to avoid warranty fraud is pretty far-fetched. The real reason they're doing it is for greed.

They don't want us updating to the newest Google release and adding 6-24 months of additional life to our phones. They want us to be stuck waiting for Froyo while Ice Cream Sandwich is around the corner, which causes us to upgrade to the newest phone as soon as possible. Warranty fraud is so insignificant to them that is has no bearing on this issue.

Brandon

bplewis24

Reaction score
As for the locked bootloader; well, the reason this needs to be defeated is that the way things stand right now; you can do everything in the world to install a custom recovery, and it works just fine. You can install custom ROMs and everything. BUT, the locked bootloader will NOT allow a non-stock kernel to boot. At this point, the failure of the kernel to boot has nothing to do with root access or lack thereof. It's the bootloader that is putting a stop to things. If this were defeated, the bootloader could be forced to skip the integrity check, and would then be able to boot any compatible kernel. And THIS is what everyone is waiting for.

Dave, is my understanding correct that the custom kernel is only used for changing voltages and under/overclocking?

Brandon

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
^^^ I agree with this statement. It's business.......

I would have used an upgrade last year if my Droid was locked down. I'm running gingerbread for crying out loud : )

Sent from my Droid

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
Dave, is my understanding correct that the custom kernel is only used for changing voltages and under/overclocking?

Brandon

If you can change the kernel you can then compile the entire os from source and add all the bells and whistles as Cyanogen does. Without the kernel you cannot do this, yes you can have custom roms but just ask any of the rom devs for x how much harder it is too add hacks like they have in cyanogen or many of the other droid roms compiled from source. The kernel is linked to the framework and without being able to change both you are limited in what you can do.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Come on wheres all the "no more HTC products for me" posts? I may not be able to change kernals on my X but I don't lose changes when I reboot.

For now it's hearsay until America actually has this device in their hands. America has the DX in their hands and it has been proven that it has a locked bootloader.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
My classmate has a rooted G2 and he hasn't mentioned anything about it loosing root when restarting it, I'll have to ask him about that.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App