HTC Locking Phones Now Like Motorola

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
No one is causing anything. This might be hard to grasp but multi million dollar corporations are in the business of making money. Why do consumers still believe any company would do something that would lose them money or go against their business plan because a few people complain?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

KsKnightmare

Reaction score
i feel that once you buy the phone you should be able to do what you want, but i dont plan on getting an HTC anytime soon, im sticking iwth my droid 1 for a while for the custom roms :D

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
i feel that once you buy the phone you should be able to do what you want, but i dont plan on getting an HTC anytime soon, im sticking iwth my droid 1 for a while for the custom roms :D

Ditto. I'll stick with my d1 and not get an x hoping my great great great grandchildren will someday be able to load a custom rom on it one day haha

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't care that much about locked bootloaders, my main reason for rooting is improved speed and battery life along with a few programs I don't use that often.

Still, it's nice to know being rooted you can always get the most out of your phone and extend its life (the latter probably why they are locking bootloaders).

But I still say rooting is such a small % of users that these companies stand to benefit much more than the bottom line is hurt. You're rooting community is a free bunch of beta testers that help to improve your product.

Personally I think it all comes back to money. As I've said before, the hardware is becoming increasingly commoditized and it will be software and UI that ultimately differentiates service providers and manufacturers. They don't like the idea of hackers and developers bringing rooted phones for free what they intend to monetize - stuff like wireless tether, home launchers and themes. A much more user-friendly version of Locale or Tasker integrated into the phone hardware/software could be a powerful point of differentiation for the manufacturer.

This is what we've seen with MS in the past not sharing some of its program modules, right? That prevents people from replicating or doing some things MS can create and sell. Same thing here. If, for example, developers can't fully control the FM chip or whatever, then Moto can develop and sell and exclusive FM transmitter app for its phones.

No, it's not good for the users. But it's a constant battle between these companies trying to make a buck and users wanting stuff for free. So long as competition breeds choice I can't really complain. Problem is with more phones being locked down there will be less incentive for developers to create rooted apps.

Something else to consider is the rooted community is never satisfied - just look at the love/hate relationship with new roms. I tell everyone I meet with a Droid they need to root. From a manufacturer's perspective, rooting becoming a significant portion of users can adversely affect perceptions of quality that they have no control over.

Droid_3.0

Reaction score
I don't care that much about locked bootloaders, my main reason for rooting is improved speed and battery life along with a few programs I don't use that often.

Still, it's nice to know being rooted you can always get the most out of your phone and extend its life (the latter probably why they are locking bootloaders).

But I still say rooting is such a small % of users that these companies stand to benefit much more than the bottom line is hurt. You're rooting community is a free bunch of beta testers that help to improve your product.

Personally I think it all comes back to money. As I've said before, the hardware is becoming increasingly commoditized and it will be software and UI that ultimately differentiates service providers and manufacturers. They don't like the idea of hackers and developers bringing rooted phones for free what they intend to monetize - stuff like wireless tether, home launchers and themes. A much more user-friendly version of Locale or Tasker integrated into the phone hardware/software could be a powerful point of differentiation for the manufacturer.

This is what we've seen with MS in the past not sharing some of its program modules, right? That prevents people from replicating or doing some things MS can create and sell. Same thing here. If, for example, developers can't fully control the FM chip or whatever, then Moto can develop and sell and exclusive FM transmitter app for its phones.

No, it's not good for the users. But it's a constant battle between these companies trying to make a buck and users wanting stuff for free. So long as competition breeds choice I can't really complain. Problem is with more phones being locked down there will be less incentive for developers to create rooted apps.

Something else to consider is the rooted community is never satisfied - just look at the love/hate relationship with new roms. I tell everyone I meet with a Droid they need to root. From a manufacturer's perspective, rooting becoming a significant portion of users can adversely affect perceptions of quality that they have no control over.

He speaks the truth :)

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
That's all great... Just don't stand there and tell me that this phone is customizable... because unless you root it, it isn't... at least not to the extent I want it to be.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's all great... Just don't stand there and tell me that this phone is customizable... because unless you root it, it isn't... at least not to the extent I want it to be.

Between choosing what apps/widgets you want and multiple home launchers giving nearly unlimited freedom to set things up the way you want, I'd say that's PLENTY of customization.

Now, if you are talking about changing fonts or the color of the status bar to other pointless obsessions bordering on a disorder, then point taken.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^Thank u. Great last 2 posts kodiak799...Some folks act like they couldnt do anything until they rooted.

Appreciate how customizable Android is out the box....

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score

Between choosing what apps/widgets you want and multiple home launchers giving nearly unlimited freedom to set things up the way you want, I'd say that's PLENTY of customization.

Now, if you are talking about changing fonts or the color of the status bar to other pointless obsessions bordering on a disorder, then point taken.

Likewise, point taken... and you've definitely made some good ones. But my issue is with the apps that either are already there or once installed that refuse to allow them to be removed but for some reason always seem to be running.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Likewise, point taken... and you've definitely made some good ones. But my issue is with the apps that either are already there or once installed that refuse to allow them to be removed but for some reason always seem to be running.

Fair rebuttal. I forgot that I free precious ram/memory by deleting some of that stuff (especially with the alt launchers deleting stock really helps the resources). I do the same with my computer - format C: right after I get it from the factory!

Left out tasker/locale - even more customization! But I really need to pony-up for Titanium because I lose my locale settings every time I flash a new rom.

n0yxl

Reaction score
I have the answer to the Moto and HTC locked Bootloader issues.

SAMSUNG Galaxy S phones :D

khaf

Reaction score

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
The posts noting that manufacturers and carriers have no sales incentive to enable rooting are correct. At most the "root" community amounts to 1% of users.

But apart from bogus warranty claims, another issue is at least as important. That is the cost of customer service, whether issues result in warranty claims or not. Having been involved in hiring in the tech industry for the last 30 years or so, I can assure you that the minimum cost hiring and keeping a customer service rep tops $100K per year. If problems from rooted phones are more common than among non-rooted phones, as they most certainly are, manufacturers and carriers have a very strong incentive to lockdown their devices.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling the Samsung phones are about to get some developers behind them.

They already do...so for ppl looking at custom ROMs as a priority and wanting the latest phone, right now Samsung fits the bill.

The real question is if this thing with the G2 holds up, are other manufactures gonna jump on the bandwagon. One may already have; HTC. The extra security could be a selling point to carriers.

Me personally, I choose things like reception and phone features over custom ROMs. Call me crazy....