HTC Locking Phones Now Like Motorola

infinity8x3

Reaction score
I don't consider the X to be truly rooted ether. It's deff not truly hacked yet. And I agree the longer it takes the less likely it will happen. Especially in the mobile phone scene where things move at break neck speeds.

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I don't consider the X to be truly rooted ether. It's deff not truly hacked yet. And I agree the longer it takes the less likely it will happen. Especially in the mobile phone scene where things move at break neck speeds.

If you your phone has superuser permissions then you have root. Having an unlocked bootloader has nothing to do with root. Your phone can not be partially rooted.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
If you your phone has superuser permissions then you have root. Having an unlocked bootloader has nothing to do with root. Your phone can not be partially rooted.

What about changing the kernel? Without bootloader access all you're doing is modding the UI. ROMs are a fair bit deeper than that.

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

What about changing the kernel? Without bootloader access all you're doing is modding the UI. ROMs are a fair bit deeper than that.

Thats why us Moto users need the bootloader cracked which is different than root :)

Canadroid

Reaction score
The Android manufacturers had better ease up. Every time Apple releases an iOS update it's jailbroken within days. That keeps the portion of their users who like to experiment and personalize the phones happy....

I don't understand what reasoning the mfg's are using locking new handsets like this--isn't it in their best interest to make tongue-in-cheek efforts instead and go after bigger subscription numbers / profits?

Or are they really just a generation behind and think people who want to tweak their droid are still a super minority??

Guyute

Reaction score
Motorola has screwed up and now HTC is following suit. They do realize that once the dev/mod scene gives up on them their products will die off. On a better note this isn't quite as bad as Motorola which is hardware encryption. Once the kernel source is released this can be killed off pretty quickly.

The products will absolutly not die off if they are locked down. Those who root are such a small percentage that it will make little to no effect on the amount of people who buy the product. Those who are on the forums may think that a lot of people are rooting or are interested in root, but in fact the general public dosn't really care at all about root or the dev/mod scene and the general public are the ones who drive sales.

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Motorola has screwed up and now HTC is following suit. They do realize that once the dev/mod scene gives up on them their products will die off. On a better note this isn't quite as bad as Motorola which is hardware encryption. Once the kernel source is released this can be killed off pretty quickly.

The products will absolutly not die off if they are locked down. Those who root are such a small percentage that it will make little to no effect on the amount of people who buy the product. Those who are on the forums may think that a lot of people are rooting or are interested in root, but in fact the general public dosn't really care at all about root or the dev/mod scene and the general public are the ones who drive sales.

If the Droid2 had a bootloader that was easy to hack like the D1 don't you think more people would have upgraded? I believe that is the main reason that it is not selling as well as it could have.

Guyute

Reaction score

If the Droid2 had a bootloader that was easy to hack like the D1 don't you think more people would have upgraded? I believe that is the main reason that it is not selling as well as it could have.

Nope I don't, I think a small percentage of people would have, but as I said the percentage of those who want or need to have root is so small it would make only a minor impact on sales. They want to curb the bogus warrenty claims, we all know people brick their phones then flash back to stock for a warrenty claim. I'm sure they feel that slowing down bogus warrenty claims by locking the phone down will better enable them to serve the general public who have valid warrenty claims, thus better serving the main buying force of these products. I think D2 sales are slow mostly because people would preffer the DX, HD video, HDMI out, huge awsome screen. Really the only reason to get a D2 is because you must have a physical keyboard. I think that's the real reason D2 sales are slow.

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Nope I don't, I think a small percentage of people would have, but as I said the percentage of those who want or need to have root is so small it would make only a minor impact on sales. They want to curb the bogus warrenty claims, we all know people brick their phones then flash back to stock for a warrenty claim. I'm sure they feel that slowing down bogus warrenty claims by locking the phone down will better enable them to serve the general public who have valid warrenty claims, thus better serving the main buying force of these products. I think D2 sales are slow mostly because people would preffer the DX, HD video, HDMI out, huge awsome screen. Really the only reason to get a D2 is because you must have a physical keyboard. I think that's the real reason D2 sales are slow.

If you brick your phone and flash to stock software then the phone is not bricked. If someone has warranty on their G2 and then the G3 comes out what is to stop someone from saying...my G2 fell in the crapper...send me a new one under my warranty plan. Should we stop using toilet bowls too? To say the root community is small is crazy...look at how many people visit this webiste and others each day. So the D1 sold so well because people wanted physical keyboards yet the D2 is not selling well because people would rather have a bigger screen? I would guess that more than half the D1 owners on this site would jump on the D2 if the bootloader was easy to crack as the D1.

drpaul07

Reaction score
If it weren't for the "Oh noes, I messed up my device screwing with custom ROMs and now it doesn't work. How can I lie to my carrier to get them to replace my device for free?" mentality; we wouldn't be facing problems like this.

I honestly think these things are being locked down because of rampant warranty fraud.

I kinda agree with this. as i've read through threads, i've seen a lot of people saying they're on their 3rd or 4th replacement phone. sometimes i find it hard to believe that they just have bad luck with repeatedly crappy phones and can't help but think they most likely caused the problem themselves because of rooting or what have you. plus i always hear of how crappy the refurbished phones are, and i also tend to think that the person that owned it previously probably rooted it and hacked the hell out of it until the problems became too great that the person said 'to hell with it', flashed some sbf, made up some lie about the phone, and probably got a D2 out of it, and just screwed Verizon, Motorola, the person who gets the 'refurb' and anyone else that is nonrooted and actually has a real problem with their phone.

Now i myself am rooted, but i do a ton of research before i do anything to my phone just to make sure i know what i'm doing. I mean when i first rooted 2.1, people gave me various update.zips to install, and i noticed that their sizes were all different, so i'd ask why, etc before installing anything. I probably annoyed a lot of people with all my questions (still do probably). And yes, its a lot of fun, and so far i haven't had any issues with it at all. I'm sure a lot of us do their research too, and many many people that know A LOT more than i'll ever know, but there are others too that go through these things without understanding what they're doing.

I can understand why phone makers are locking their phones..i can imagine that a lot of the trades and replacements they make are not warranted..it still sucks though :(

Just giving my opinion..don't yell at me! lol..

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
To say the root community is small is crazy...look at how many people visit this webiste and others each day. So the D1 sold so well because people wanted physical keyboards yet the D2 is not selling well because people would rather have a bigger screen? I would guess that more than half the D1 owners on this site would jump on the D2 if the bootloader was easy to crack as the D1.

Yea the root community is small, compared to the general public. Thats where the majority of sales for these phones come from. The majority....

Its all kind of reasons it might not be selling well, but the bootloader isnt one of them. Maybe ppl do actually look at it as not much of an upgrade. Where the X is a different thing all together.

You really think more than half the ppl on this site roots their phone? U might be right, I dont know. There are 125,000 members. So thats like 62,500 ppl that u think roots their phone on this site.

Would be interesting doing a poll, just to see if 62,000 ppl respond...

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Case in point about the bootloader: Look how many ppl got the X. Same locked down bootloader as the Droid 2. I think the X sold more than the Droid 2.....

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I wish the manufacturers would just give us an option to get a phone that has a hardware warranty but not a software one or something. Like if the hardware keyboard starts crapping out to give us a replacement but not cover other stuff in exchange for a phone that is easily hackable

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk