HTC Locking bootloaders?

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Rumor has it that the iP5 may be 4in though. Anyway though, back on topic I guess the manufacturers really don't care about the dev community. Android is open source, but the hardware is locked down. What a contradiction.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Fruit phone = future dystopian society, lol

Idiocracy is a great movie BTW

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am not saying go fruit, but I had the fruit and other then ios being boring I did not have much to complain about. If manufacturers want to start going the rout of emulating the fruit then I might as well get the fruit and get updates and not have to be forced to buy a phone every year.

CoFoltman84

Reaction score
well, if the other thread is true, Moto is leaving Android to make its own OS, maybe they will stay on top of updates better. It's easy for Apple to release updates because they don't release mutliple phones on multiple carriers...of course, by the time the MotoOS is made, all phones will be locked up tight so it won't even matter lol

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
One of the problems with the fruit phone is that the screen is very small, and we only have one device to choose from. Software has always worked and meshed well on my Mac but there is not much choose when it comes to the Mac OS. But yes Mac OS performs well. And also the majority of people buying Android phones do not care about root access and updates like we do, so a locked bootloader doesn't matter to the masses, but hopefully that changes.

Very good chance the new iPhone will have a 4" screen, that will alleviate the screen size problem.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I heard it was getting a 3.7" screen. Well I like my fascinate better than my friends iphone so it will take a big improvement for me to switch. Android seems better than iOS to me, and I have Mac computers.

All phones will be locked in the future, its a matter of which one performs the best while locked.

CoFoltman84

Reaction score
the main thing i'm rooted for is overclocking and themes...if the phone is fast enough, i wont need to root for that. i dont know about new moto phones, but htc has built in themeing (although i dont think it has a completely custom option, which would be perfect).

Reaction score
I think they need to take some notes from Microsoft, they sat down and had a meet and greet with some of the top windows phone 7 hacking teams to yet ideas and dos and don'ts from them, to MAKE SURE they DONT lock them out... who knows... maybe windows phone is the wave of the future.... hacked and dual-booting windows and android :p

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

jchammer123

Reaction score
Of course I would love an unlocked bootloader but that's not gonna stop me from staying with android, I simply think its better than ios. Like the guy said earlier in this thread, as long as I can root, I'm happy. You can still do a ton of awesome things with phones like the x and d2. Ans some people are making the arguement that the device makers are getting better at locking down our phones, however I think the amazing devs that root and unlock these phones are getting so much better as well!!!

That being said, I'm seriously considering the Nexus S and leaving Verizon, lol!!!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's too bad that Verizon has the best coverage, because they have always had the worst phones. Sprint has had the TB for about 8 months now, it is called the Evo!

Reaction score
TB is faster, no? More ram at the very least... I'm thinking after this art/tmo merge goes through vzw might start getting better phones...

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea I guess TB has 256 more ram, which makes it a better multi-tasker. I hope they get better phones, because it seems like VZW is always behind in technology.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Locked bootloader + Continually putting small batteries in phones = no more HTC for me

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
TB is faster, no? More ram at the very least... I'm thinking after this art/tmo merge goes through vzw might start getting better phones...

I'm not so sure. I hope that's what will happen but it seems like other than Tmobile the only carrier embracing Android is Sprint.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk