HTC Locking bootloaders?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by pc747, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Diab210

Diab210 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    As much as I love running custom roms, at the end of the day I'm going to have to turn in my original droid for something with better hardware. If giving up custom roms gives me something with 2-4x the computing power, 2-4x the ram, and a bigger, brighter, crisper screen I'm eventually going to have to say yes.

While I agree the trend is showing more restrictions on how to unlock the phones no one has gone as extreme as motorola has with the x,d2 etc., right? I'll start looking for the 4 horsemen once someone else does that.

2. JArmandB

JArmandB New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Biggest reason to not go to the fruit....iTunes.

3. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Actually to me that's a plus. I wish Google would come out with something along those lines for Android.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

4. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +775
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel 2XL
    I want an unlocked bootloader simply because its my phone. Hell, if you can even wave your warranty so Verizon will send a signal to the phone to unlock it, so be it. But the point is that if we are buying a product and companies are still telling us to :cus: off because they think its their product still, it pisses me off. I love my X. I've had a custom ROM on it since Rubix was released. But its the principal of the matter and I think its that way for a lot of people. If I'm going to drop money on an item, I want my item in its wholeness. Imagine buying a car and Chevy or Ford tells you that you can't open the hood. The hood is locked and if you want to open it that you will have to bring it to a dealer and pay to have it fixed or whatever.

5. bigkoch125

bigkoch125 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Locked is different than encrypted which moto is doing. HTC can easily be unlocked moto's cant and still havent been cracked. This is a misleading maybe do some research. smh

6. cmaag

cmaag Member

Ratings:
    +0

+1

This is exactly the same thing, i don't get why they won't let us wave the warranty and unlock it. Just like if you would change anything to the inner workings of a car you wave you warranty. And i understand that this is a different industry but its still our property right...

7. bigkoch125

bigkoch125 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    incredible s isnt on verizon and its locked! so not just verizon but people need to learn the difference between locked and encrypted. Locked can and already is unlocked encrypted is still unable to be cracked.

8. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +343
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
    Perfect compare here. I modded my car with software that give me extra hp and tq. MY CAR! I can do what I want with it!! If they tried to do the dealer only on the hood, shots would be fired!

9. pc747

pc747 Regular Member
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,337
    Those saying that all you want to do is root is missing the point some of us are making. If oems was not fragmented and continued to support our devices we would not have to rely on a dev to get the next build. Oems are not living up to their end so they stop supporting their devices to get you to buy another device. So its like the money you paid for the previous device does not include support after a certain period. The fruit is more locked down than the droids and yet they get updated continuously.

10. 13th angel

13th angel Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +2
    Only thing the fruit has going for it is that its only one set of device specs where android is spread out over many phones. Android will always be less reliable on updates because of this.....

Sent from my Liberated D2G

11. jkhonea

jkhonea Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +20
    That's a lot harder than when I rooted my DInc. I hooked it to my Mac side of my computer, downloaded Unrevoked, told the computer to go, and was rooted. That is all I did. I would say this looks much harder than the process that I had.

12. jkhonea

jkhonea Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +20
    And that is the major problem with the fragmentation.