HTC Locking bootloaders?

Diab210

Reaction score
As much as I love running custom roms, at the end of the day I'm going to have to turn in my original droid for something with better hardware. If giving up custom roms gives me something with 2-4x the computing power, 2-4x the ram, and a bigger, brighter, crisper screen I'm eventually going to have to say yes.

While I agree the trend is showing more restrictions on how to unlock the phones no one has gone as extreme as motorola has with the x,d2 etc., right? I'll start looking for the 4 horsemen once someone else does that.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
So which manufacturer is everyone gonna jump to now?
Everyone cried about Motorola doing it. Now HTC.
Before you know it, every phone will be locked. Anybody planning on going back to CB radios to talk?
IMO this whole locked bootloader conversation is getting over hyped.
I had the OG Droid. Now I have the X. I'm very capable of flashing ROMs and applying all kinds of tweaks to these phones.
We have root, over clocking, theming, performance tweaks out the wazzoo.
Is there really a mountain of options that we can't do? Or is it that some people just aren't satisfied with ANYTHING?
If Moto unlocked the X, people would find something else to complain about.
I dunno. I just think alot of people dont even know why they are complaining anymore. Or even why in the first place. I see all over the internet people shouting to Motorola to unlock the phones or else they will go elsewhere. Android may be free to use. Building a device to utilize it, costs millions.

Sorry for the rant. It just gets old hearing the same stuff over and over again. File a grievance with the union or call your representative from congress.

I want an unlocked bootloader simply because its my phone. Hell, if you can even wave your warranty so Verizon will send a signal to the phone to unlock it, so be it. But the point is that if we are buying a product and companies are still telling us to :cus: off because they think its their product still, it pisses me off. I love my X. I've had a custom ROM on it since Rubix was released. But its the principal of the matter and I think its that way for a lot of people. If I'm going to drop money on an item, I want my item in its wholeness. Imagine buying a car and Chevy or Ford tells you that you can't open the hood. The hood is locked and if you want to open it that you will have to bring it to a dealer and pay to have it fixed or whatever.

bigkoch125

Reaction score
Locked is different than encrypted which moto is doing. HTC can easily be unlocked moto's cant and still havent been cracked. This is a misleading maybe do some research. smh

cmaag

Reaction score
Before you know it, every phone will be locked. Anybody planning on going back to CB radios to talk?
I had the OG Droid. Now I have the X. I'm very capable of flashing ROMs and applying all kinds of tweaks to these phones.
Is there really a mountain of options that we can't do? Or is it that some people just aren't satisfied with ANYTHING?
I dunno. I just think alot of people dont even know why they are complaining anymore. Or even why in the first place. I see all over the internet people shouting to Motorola to unlock the phones or else they will go elsewhere. Android may be free to use. Building a device to utilize it, costs millions.

Sorry for the rant. It just gets old hearing the same stuff over and over again. File a grievance with the union or call your representative from congress.

I want an unlocked bootloader simply because its my phone. Hell, if you can even wave your warranty so Verizon will send a signal to the phone to unlock it, so be it. But the point is that if we are buying a product and companies are still telling us to :cus: off because they think its their product still, it pisses me off. I love my X. I've had a custom ROM on it since Rubix was released. But its the principal of the matter and I think its that way for a lot of people. If I'm going to drop money on an item, I want my item in its wholeness. Imagine buying a car and Chevy or Ford tells you that you can't open the hood. The hood is locked and if you want to open it that you will have to bring it to a dealer and pay to have it fixed or whatever.

+1

This is exactly the same thing, i don't get why they won't let us wave the warranty and unlock it. Just like if you would change anything to the inner workings of a car you wave you warranty. And i understand that this is a different industry but its still our property right...

bigkoch125

Reaction score
Its locked not encrypted .. big difference! And my guess would be it's Verizon's doing

incredible s isnt on verizon and its locked! so not just verizon but people need to learn the difference between locked and encrypted. Locked can and already is unlocked encrypted is still unable to be cracked.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C

I want an unlocked bootloader simply because its my phone. Hell, if you can even wave your warranty so Verizon will send a signal to the phone to unlock it, so be it. But the point is that if we are buying a product and companies are still telling us to off because they think its their product still, it pisses me off. I love my X. I've had a custom ROM on it since Rubix was released. But its the principal of the matter and I think its that way for a lot of people. If I'm going to drop money on an item, I want my item in its wholeness. Imagine buying a car and Chevy or Ford tells you that you can't open the hood. The hood is locked and if you want to open it that you will have to bring it to a dealer and pay to have it fixed or whatever.

Perfect compare here. I modded my car with software that give me extra hp and tq. MY CAR! I can do what I want with it!! If they tried to do the dealer only on the hood, shots would be fired!

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Those saying that all you want to do is root is missing the point some of us are making. If oems was not fragmented and continued to support our devices we would not have to rely on a dev to get the next build. Oems are not living up to their end so they stop supporting their devices to get you to buy another device. So its like the money you paid for the previous device does not include support after a certain period. The fruit is more locked down than the droids and yet they get updated continuously.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Only thing the fruit has going for it is that its only one set of device specs where android is spread out over many phones. Android will always be less reliable on updates because of this.....

Sent from my Liberated D2G

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I give up! I don't know if what has changed. Everything coming from the carriers & manufacturers has been crap news for modding for a while now & HTC doing the same thing they always do seems to me like a good thing for the dev community. 30 minutes banging ADB for unlock & root? Sign me up

Note the above post. The locks are evolving. Meaning they are moving forward to try to lock them down more. At the rate they are going it is only a matter of time before they lock them down entirely.

Oh yeah! You have a Dinc. Tell me if this looks like the difficulty has increased/decreased/same from when Dinc first got S-OFF (about a month after release).
Easyroot + S-Off - xda-developers

That's a lot harder than when I rooted my DInc. I hooked it to my Mac side of my computer, downloaded Unrevoked, told the computer to go, and was rooted. That is all I did. I would say this looks much harder than the process that I had.

Beardface

Reaction score
Those saying that all you want to do is root is missing the point some of us are making. If oems was not fragmented and continued to support our devices we would not have to rely on a dev to get the next build. Oems are not living up to their end so they stop supporting their devices to get you to buy another device. So its like the money you paid for the previous device does not include support after a certain period. The fruit is more locked down than the droids and yet they get updated continuously.

Completely agreed, which is why I'm starting to consider the iP5 when I am due for an upgrade in September. They have a very locked down system, and it doesn't do nearly as much as the Android devices, but dammit, it has a very smooth OS, and anything you could put on there will mesh with other apps, cause they make sure it will. And the integration with iTunes is a huge plus that cannot be overlooked, because there is nothing with Android that even compares. Yeah, you can get iSyncr, but its just not the same.

Locked down systems are not a problem for me. Thats a big whatever, as long as the device is fast, and not severely underclocked to hold it back, I could care less. However, when software updates no longer come to the device because the carrier wants you to upgrade, thats a BIG problem.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
One of the problems with the fruit phone is that the screen is very small, and we only have one device to choose from. Software has always worked and meshed well on my Mac but there is not much choose when it comes to the Mac OS. But yes Mac OS performs well. And also the majority of people buying Android phones do not care about root access and updates like we do, so a locked bootloader doesn't matter to the masses, but hopefully that changes.

CoFoltman84

Reaction score
All this iOS talk makes me believe the world will turn out like the movie Idiocracy... :)

"Oh, that's easy. You go down by the museum and stuff... It's like- it's, like, by the museum... Sorta by... Actually, not really. More like on the street, you go, um... Wait, let me start over. Okay, you know where the time machine is?"