HTC Locking bootloaders?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
So which manufacturer is everyone gonna jump to now?
Everyone cried about Motorola doing it. Now HTC.
Before you know it, every phone will be locked. Anybody planning on going back to CB radios to talk?
IMO this whole locked bootloader conversation is getting over hyped.
I had the OG Droid. Now I have the X. I'm very capable of flashing ROMs and applying all kinds of tweaks to these phones.
We have root, over clocking, theming, performance tweaks out the wazzoo.
Is there really a mountain of options that we can't do? Or is it that some people just aren't satisfied with ANYTHING?
If Moto unlocked the X, people would find something else to complain about.
I dunno. I just think alot of people dont even know why they are complaining anymore. Or even why in the first place. I see all over the internet people shouting to Motorola to unlock the phones or else they will go elsewhere. Android may be free to use. Building a device to utilize it, costs millions.

Sorry for the rant. It just gets old hearing the same stuff over and over again. File a grievance with the union or call your representative from congress.

+1...

I've started to not really care about this whole bootloader stuff. Not even running a ROM anymore, just rooted and OC'd. Will do the same on my next phone. Most people root and don't even know why or what to do, so in the end its a moot point.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So which manufacturer is everyone gonna jump to now?
Everyone cried about Motorola doing it. Now HTC.
Before you know it, every phone will be locked. Anybody planning on going back to CB radios to talk?
IMO this whole locked bootloader conversation is getting over hyped.
I had the OG Droid. Now I have the X. I'm very capable of flashing ROMs and applying all kinds of tweaks to these phones.
We have root, over clocking, theming, performance tweaks out the wazzoo.
Is there really a mountain of options that we can't do? Or is it that some people just aren't satisfied with ANYTHING?
If Moto unlocked the X, people would find something else to complain about.
I dunno. I just think alot of people dont even know why they are complaining anymore. Or even why in the first place. I see all over the internet people shouting to Motorola to unlock the phones or else they will go elsewhere. Android may be free to use. Building a device to utilize it, costs millions.

Sorry for the rant. It just gets old hearing the same stuff over and over again. File a grievance with the union or call your representative from congress.

I hear what you saying and I would agree with you IF we knew that manufacturers would continue to support the devices. If manufacturers continued to support the devices I would not mind it being locked so much. But my nook is running gingerbread while I am still hoping that motorola will update the droid 2 to gingerbread. The fruit is locked down as well but you know that your device will continue to be supported until you decide you dont want it anymore.

bump47

Reaction score
I've been saying the same thing about an iphone too. With an iphone you can jailbreak it so easy and then it is open. It just sucks because I love Android but without it being completely open it really takes away alot. Way to go Motorola

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
There are about to be some very fundamental mistakes made by Android and the manufacturers. They had the leg up up with open source. People were willing to look past the lack of updates if they could doit on their own. Take that away leaving us with being dependent on Verizon and the manufacturers for updates and I am not so sure about the future.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
There are about to be some very fundamental mistakes made by Android and the manufacturers. They had the leg up up with open source. People were willing to look past the lack of updates if they could doit on their own. Take that away leaving us with being dependent on Verizon and the manufacturers for updates and I am not so sure about the future.

This is more the manufacturers and carriers destroying what Android was all about.

Sent from somewhere...

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
What is all this doom & gloom? If it's not encrypted I still don't get it. Even the Nexus S has a locked.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Its not so much doom and gloom as a principal thing. Android was supposed to be open, but is becoming closed. Encryption is the next step for HTC. So its not far off. Only time will tell.

Sent from somewhere...

bigwilly90210

Reaction score
The Thunderbolt's bootloader is NOT encrypted but it IS locked. Its already been unlocked, so its a non-issue. But none of this is "Android's fault" or Google's fault. Its nothing like Apple/iOS either. Apple makes iOS just for Apple devices and controls everything. Google makes Android for a huge myriad of devices and it is completely up to the manufacturers whether or not to limit it physically. Android has no stipulations over conditions like the bootloader, its up the handset makers. And right now I have a feeling Verizon is riding these guys hard to lock their devices. And I also have a feeling they're gonna lose a lot of respect from the dev community because of it. I'm paying for a handset, and I'll be damned if I'm limited as to what I can do to it simply because I have a contract with Big Red. I hope HTC/Motorola quit bending over for these guys and make some more great 4G devices that are dev friendly like the Droid 1.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its not so much doom and gloom as a principal thing. Android was supposed to be open, but is becoming closed. Encryption is the next step for HTC. So its not far off. Only time will tell....

How is it the next step though? Dinc locked Evo T-Bolt locked Eris locked G1(probably) & 2 locked Nexus 1 locked.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Its not so much doom and gloom as a principal thing. Android was supposed to be open, but is becoming closed. Encryption is the next step for HTC. So its not far off. Only time will tell.

Sent from somewhere...

That's my thought as well.

See we can agree :p

Sent from somewhere...

bigwilly90210

Reaction score

Sent from somewhere...

That's my thought as well.

It has nothing to do with Android not being open. Maybe I'm just arguing semantics with you guys but Android itself has always been and always will be open source. Nothing has changed there. What's changed is Verizon is pressuring HTC and Motorola to lock their HANDSETS down, not Android, so that the software that's on it can't be modified. This is because they're trying to create a closed handset environment where they control everything to the t so they can gurantee top quality service. That is their viewpoint and I think it is valid. However, 90% of Android customers aren't going in there looking for a dev friendly phone with unlocked bootloader, yadda yadda yadda. This reminding me a lot of our DRM battle. The only people locking music/locking bootloaders are the people using it. 10% of the population is gonna want an unlocked phone to do with as they please and they have every GD right to do so.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App