HTC: Locked Bootloader Forever!!!

jengas kahn

Reaction score
i think this is a step in the right direction. probably as far as the developer community is going to get. i agree with having some kind of warranty voiding process when rooting a phone. it's a person's own decision to root and they must take responsibility for anything they do that may result in the phone's failure. carriers or oems can't be dishing out 500$ phones for free.

the thing i worry about though is what will happen if a person roots a phone, rom's, etc. and then has a problem with the hardware that has nothing to do with whatever they did to the software. like if i return to the store with my phone completely back to stock and running perfectly normal but my volume rocker is broken and verizon writes me off by saying "you agreed to void your warranty..." i'm going to be angry.

sb1831

Reaction score
i think this is a step in the right direction. probably as far as the developer community is going to get. i agree with having some kind of warranty voiding process when rooting a phone. it's a person's own decision to root and they must take responsibility for anything they do that may result in the phone's failure. carriers or oems can't be dishing out 500$ phones for free.

the thing i worry about though is what will happen if a person roots a phone, rom's, etc. and then has a problem with the hardware that has nothing to do with whatever they did to the software. like if i return to the store with my phone completely back to stock and running perfectly normal but my volume rocker is broken and verizon writes me off by saying "you agreed to void your warranty..." i'm going to be angry.

My guess is the phone will more of less have a 1 year warranty against manufacturer's defects on hardware of some sort. This is why people need to read things before plunging in headfirst. Of course regardless of the situation there will be those that claim they didn't know or were confused.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
They have to do what they have to do to make profits .....as long as they have the web tool for us to use then its no Big deal
Think about it this way... If they switch it up this quick because it makes the carriers unhappy.. then what's going to happen in the future. Let's say Vodafone doesn't like this tool, then they'll introduce exceptions and it'll all go down hill then.
Just saying, not a good sign.

Their phones were already going to come with locked bootloaders and unlockable via the web tool. This isn't anything new.

And frankly, why wouldn't carriers like this? They will know how is unlocking their phones, the warranties will be void so they wont' have to replace a phone that they know is being hacked with.

havens1515

Reaction score
They have to do what they have to do to make profits .....as long as they have the web tool for us to use then its no Big deal
Think about it this way... If they switch it up this quick because it makes the carriers unhappy.. then what's going to happen in the future. Let's say Vodafone doesn't like this tool, then they'll introduce exceptions and it'll all go down hill then.
Just saying, not a good sign.

I agree with both of these statements. On the one hand, it's AWESOME that they are giving the choice to the consumer. It is not necessary to have ALL phones unlocked, but it is nice to have the option. As we've seen in the past, they don't need to even give us that option, and are likely only doing so to shut up people like us.

On the other hand, since it IS a web tool, they COULD potentially remove it at any time without any notice. Also, being that it's a web tool, they could (and likely will) mark your account or somehow note that you no longer have a warranty, or that at least part of your warranty is voided. And who knows what else they will do once they know you're unlocked... carriers could charge you more based on that fact, or they could use it as a reason to later cancel your service, who knows.

It would be nice if the phones came with software (either on a disk, or on the phone, or whatever) that allowed you to unlock the bootloader. At the same time though, some noob would probably do it without realizing what they are really doing.

Bottom line: They are at least giving the user a choice to unlock it, and that's definitely a step in the right direction. But at the same time, users may want to make sure they read the fine print.

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Bottom line for me is: Long as the bootloader isn't encrypted, I'm just gonna wait for the Dev community to unlock it.

But that's only because I don't want any possible crap from Verizon if I have a hardware defect.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Bottom line for me is: Long as the bootloader isn't encrypted, I'm just gonna wait for the Dev community to unlock it.

But that's only because I don't want any possible crap from Verizon if I have a hardware defect.

Newsflash! Their newest phones have encrypted Bootloaders. That's why there was a big outcry and that's why they came up with this web solution.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

Newsflash! Their newest phones have encrypted Bootloaders. That's why there was a big outcry and that's why they came up with this web solution.

Where are you hearing that HTC is encrypting their bootloaders? As one of the earlier posters observed: HTC locks their bootloaders, Motorola encrypts theirs. Although, Motorola has been strangely silent about the release of a program which totally unlocks the Atrix bootloader - and that has been available for over a month now.

I fully expected Motorola to go crazy when the program was offered by a developer over on the XDA Forums, screaming and yelling, threatening the developer and XDA with cease and desist orders. As far as I know, they've done and said nothing. Then I got to thinking maybe it was a PLANNED leak by Motorola - but one they could retain "plausible deniability" on. That idea lasted until they released the Gingerbread update for the Atrix. It of course un-rooted the already rooted phones, but it also screwed with the ability of people to RE-root their phones, as well as attempting to re-lock the bootloader (that part was not successful, BTW).

So now, I'm not sure *what* Motorola's game plan is. Like HTC, they have pledged to unlock the bootloaders of everyone who bought a Motorola phone and wants their bootloader unlocked. That's undoubtedly a minority of the total Motorola cell phone ownership, as the majority have probably never even heard of rooting or unlocked bootloaders, but it's nice to know the unlocking is coming - but WILL it?

-Mike

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
So, here's a thought....Let's say I decide to save a few bucks ditching my warranty, since it will void my warranty when I root anyway. That's a plan change, so I'd lose my unlimited data, right? Then the issue is, if rooting voids my warranty, then VZW shouldn't continue charging me, correct?

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Kodiak,

Interesting implications. But I think that there would have to be some lines drawn between "I flashed this rom, and now my 3g/4g reception is in the toilet" v. I dropped my phone in the toilet. I think there would be some distinction always drawn for insurance and the need to replace lost, stolen or destroyed.

Craig

TheOldFart

Reaction score
So, here's a thought....Let's say I decide to save a few bucks ditching my warranty, since it will void my warranty when I root anyway. That's a plan change, so I'd lose my unlimited data, right? Then the issue is, if rooting voids my warranty, then VZW shouldn't continue charging me, correct?

That would not change your data plan. Even changing the number of minutes you contract for would not change your data plan, as long as you have continuity of Verizon service and don't change your data plan yourself.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That would not change your data plan. Even changing the number of minutes you contract for would not change your data plan, as long as you have continuity of Verizon service and don't change your data plan yourself.

That's what I don't fully understand. I was under the impression that any change to your plan - incl. minutes or texts - was a change that would trigger tiered data pricing. Warranty may not fall under that, but it's all very confusing.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

Where are you hearing that HTC is encrypting their bootloaders? As one of the earlier posters observed: HTC locks their bootloaders, Motorola encrypts theirs. Although, Motorola has been strangely silent about the release of a program which totally unlocks the Atrix bootloader - and that has been available for over a month now.

I fully expected Motorola to go crazy when the program was offered by a developer over on the XDA Forums, screaming and yelling, threatening the developer and XDA with cease and desist orders. As far as I know, they've done and said nothing. Then I got to thinking maybe it was a PLANNED leak by Motorola - but one they could retain "plausible deniability" on. That idea lasted until they released the Gingerbread update for the Atrix. It of course un-rooted the already rooted phones, but it also screwed with the ability of people to RE-root their phones, as well as attempting to re-lock the bootloader (that part was not successful, BTW).

So now, I'm not sure *what* Motorola's game plan is. Like HTC, they have pledged to unlock the bootloaders of everyone who bought a Motorola phone and wants their bootloader unlocked. That's undoubtedly a minority of the total Motorola cell phone ownership, as the majority have probably never even heard of rooting or unlocked bootloaders, but it's nice to know the unlocking is coming - but WILL it?

-Mike

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...r-recovery-and-kernel-images-all-locked-down/

Their new flagships have been getting the same treatment that Motos phones were getting. I thought that was common knowledge.

V

volando

Would the voided warranty imply absolutely no replacements for any issue, or just no luck with problems that could result from you playing around with the phone software?

For example, my og droid screen randomly broke and Verizon replaced it with a refurbished model at no charge, would this not be possible if I unlocked the bootloader with HTC's new tool?

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Would the voided warranty imply absolutely no replacements for any issue, or just no luck with problems that could result from you playing around with the phone software?

For example, my og droid screen randomly broke and Verizon replaced it with a refurbished model at no charge, would this not be possible if I unlocked the bootloader with HTC's new tool?

Although they haven't said for sure, my guess would be that voided warranty means just that. Your warranty is void so anything that goes wrong you are responsible for.